New Malden, Surrey

Old Nov 4th 2011, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Malden, Surrey

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Thanks Triboy

You say it is uninspiring, but I can think of another place far,far away that inspires me even less.

Are there lots of leafy country lanes in the vicinity as I really like to walk them?
JMH would know more than me, but I would say that the greener side of New Malden would on the south west side. It seems like to me when we are driving out of New Malden to go back to the A3, but that's only what I've seen from the car.

Will you have a car? because there are some really leafy areas around the M25/A3 junction area. (Cobham, Ripley etc).
Old Nov 4th 2011, 9:16 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
JMH would know more than me, but I would say that the greener side of New Malden would on the south west side. It seems like to me when we are driving out of New Malden to go back to the A3, but that's only what I've seen from the car.

Will you have a car? because there are some really leafy areas around the M25/A3 junction area. (Cobham, Ripley etc).
Yes you're absolutely right, but expensive. I was thinking of cheaper areas. There are lots of really nice places to live in the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames but I can't afford them!
Old Nov 4th 2011, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
Yes you're absolutely right, but expensive. I was thinking of cheaper areas. There are lots of really nice places to live in the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames but I can't afford them!
I don't know much about the area (I live in Godalming, nr Guildford) but when I go to the bike shop in Hampton, driving over the bridge at Kingston it always looks lovely to me, but the (younger) people at work say it can be a problem area at night. Which surprised me.

I think you could get somewhere fairly cheap(er) around NM itself but I remember when we looked at the prices on the web whilst in Oz, NM still seemed quite expensive for the space but I don't know what the neighbouring areas are like pricewise.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 10:10 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I will probably sell my car if (when!) I get this job as I am finding it really expensive here to run one, don't even talk about petrol!!!
Old Nov 4th 2011, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

I will probably sell my car if (when!) I get this job as I am finding it really expensive here to run one, don't even talk about petrol!!!

OK, then you'll want to be in NM I guess. I run the same car here as I did in Oz ( higher specced version trim wise and 4 yrs newer) but I find everything in regards to running a car here much cheaper than Oz, except fuel of course. Ins, servicing, tyres are all cheaper. Parking fees are higher though.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely no leafy walks within the immediate (walkable) vicinity.

But plenty of opportunities down the A3. There is a lovely common at Oxshott for example, RHS Wisley not too far away. But all are a car/train journey away (15 mins by car)

Triboy- it was our Korean tenant who told us that NM is the biggest Korean community. Maybe it was wishful thinking on his behalf. He rented our place in Worcester Park, being as close to NM as he could get!
Old Nov 4th 2011, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Triboy- it was our Korean tenant who told us that NM is the biggest Korean community. Maybe it was wishful thinking on his behalf. He rented our place in Worcester Park, being as close to NM as he could get!
wow really! That is one not very well traveled Hankook
Old Nov 4th 2011, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Not exactly the right quote to use ...but will the jobs require you to be on site? Will you need to look for a place to live?

I know the area very well too, you won't need a car...transport links are good!
Old Nov 4th 2011, 9:40 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster

I worked at the local council and we were told this too. Although I never looked up the data to check they were telling the truth.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jmh
I worked at the local council and we were told this too. Although I never looked up the data to check they were telling the truth.
Table on the right and at bottom of page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_diaspora
Old Nov 4th 2011, 10:04 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

Table on the right and at bottom of page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_diaspora
Ahh yes. I think they said the largest Korean population in Europe which looks about right. Don't know if they are all in New Malden. For the record, according to the council, the influx of Koreans have raised educational standards in the area.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jmh
Ahh yes. I think they said the largest Korean population in Europe which looks about right. Don't know if they are all in New Malden. For the record, according to the council, the influx of Koreans have raised educational standards in the area.
Definitely not all in New Malden, we know of 3 in Guildford and one in Godalming, so that's err, 4

Yep, very much over achievers on the education front, my wife is is looking for the nearest high tower if she gets anything less than a Distinction.

Mind you if it takes as long to explain a joke to them as it does to Mrs TB then the stand up comedy job sector is safe
Old Nov 6th 2011, 5:57 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

OK, then you'll want to be in NM I guess. I run the same car here as I did in Oz ( higher specced version trim wise and 4 yrs newer) but I find everything in regards to running a car here much cheaper than Oz, except fuel of course. Ins, servicing, tyres are all cheaper. Parking fees are higher though.
Ah well, see in Australia I had a small economical hatch back and here I have a bloody big old bomb, so everything is more expensive including road tax, insurance (never driven here before).

Oh and I don't like the parking fees one little bit. There is a whole parking industry here.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Ah well, see in Australia I had a small economical hatch back and here I have a bloody big old bomb, so everything is more expensive including road tax, insurance (never driven here before).

Oh and I don't like the parking fees one little bit. There is a whole parking industry here.
SO RIGHT Beedubya, have just got back from 7 weeks holiday spent a week in Chester,each time I went into town it was 10 pounds each time got on my nerves in the end,what a rip off.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 8:30 pm
Home Sweet Home

Well I spent the best part of a day in NM yesterday, not bad, not great, but OK and only half an hour on the train from London Waterloo.

Interview went well at least I thought so for about an hour afterwards then all the doubts crept in later, why didn't I say this? Why did I say that? You know how it goes.

I would say there are at least 12 Korean businesses in NM I saw, I believe the Korean newspaper is published there too.

So will see how it goes...................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.