Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

new laptop from Canada, worth taking back

new laptop from Canada, worth taking back

Old Sep 5th 2015, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute
Default new laptop from Canada, worth taking back

A few days ago we realized we had points left in credit card and they wont add it to your balance so are sending us Costco cards. Have only two weeks here left so not likely to spend this large amount on food and dont want any more clothes as our suitcases are already bulging so thought to buy a laptop. My OH says if we start it up here it will have an IP address of Canada and we will have problems in UK. I said we will just take it as is to UK and start it there and get UK address. The price of them is the same in UK but in pounds so basically double what we would pay here. What would you do?
Old Sep 5th 2015, 4:05 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new laptop from Canada, worth taking back

It will have an IP of wherever you are (unless you choose to have an IP of somewhere else). When you move, the IP will then be of the new place (unless you choose to have it somewhere else.

IPs are not attached to the device. The problem you think is problem, is none existent.
Old Sep 5th 2015, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be fine FB, there are a couple of very minor differences on the UK/N. American keyboards placement wise but nothing you can't get around. Hubby has no bother using my Cdn. laptop. Don't forget to get yourself a couple of Cdn to UK plug adapters for the plug on your power pack (they're only a few bucks) and you're good to go.

You can get the £ sign on a Cdn. keyboard by holding down "Alt" key then typing in 0163 on the number pad.

One thing you might want to consider installing on your new laptop immediately is a program called DVD Region Killer, it's free, I understand it's compatible with Windows 10 and you can get it here:

Download DVD Region Killer - MajorGeeks

The guy I bought my laptop from installed it on my machine before it ever left the shop and I've had no bother playing DVD's from either side of the Atlantic.
Old Sep 5th 2015, 4:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

kimilseung speaks the truth. The problem you describe is non-existent. Most laptop power packs are universal so all you will need to purchase is a new 'figure of 8' lead with a UK plug if you don't want to use a plug adapter.

Old Sep 6th 2015, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know if there is an equivalent program for an American purchased MacBook?
Old Sep 6th 2015, 7:17 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

For the £ on a Mac press option and the # key.

We are both using Macbook Airs with US/Canadian keyboards. No worries.

There will be one big problem with buying laptops two weeks before you leave -- you will be liable for VAT.
Old Sep 6th 2015, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha

We are both using Macbook Airs with US/Canadian keyboards. No worries.

There will be one big problem with buying laptops two weeks before you leave -- you will be liable for VAT.
That being the case you may be able to recover your HST in Canada; it's worth checking into.
Old Sep 6th 2015, 1:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Originally Posted by curleytops
You can get the £ sign on a Cdn. keyboard by holding down "Alt" key then typing in 0163 on the number pad.
I've used Four keyboards in Canada (no macs) and it's been shift and # for a £ on every one just as it's shift and $ for $ using the key next to it.

One thing you might want to consider installing on your new laptop immediately is a program called DVD Region Killer, it's free, I understand it's compatible with Windows 10 and you can get it here:

The guy I bought my laptop from installed it on my machine before it ever left the shop and I've had no bother playing DVD's from either side of the Atlantic.
Doesn't it do that anyway? I've played back UK DVDs without needing anything extra.
Old Sep 6th 2015, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I've used Four keyboards in Canada (no macs) and it's been shift and # for a £ on every one just as it's shift and $ for $ using the key next to it.

Doesn't it do that anyway? I've played back UK DVDs without needing anything extra.
From what I understand, at one time, when you got a new machine you played a certain format so many times and that set the format for the hardware. That may have changed but I wasn't about to take any chances so I asked the guy at the shop for something that would avoid me getting locked into a certain format and that's what he came up with. I don't know what your keyboards are like but my # sign is shift 3 so I got around the £ issue with the sequence I mentioned.
Old Sep 6th 2015, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for these replies. I am definitely going to get one. When at the airport at Vancouver do I go there and get my tax back? Then when arriving in UK I go and pay my VAT on the purchase by showing my invoice? Has anyone done this? Also when you go through customs in UK we are probably going to go through "something to declare" anyway showing them our furniture list and goods being shipped so we might as well sort the tax on laptops as well.
Old Sep 6th 2015, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Thanks for these replies. I am definitely going to get one. When at the airport at Vancouver do I go there and get my tax back? Then when arriving in UK I go and pay my VAT on the purchase by showing my invoice? Has anyone done this? Also when you go through customs in UK we are probably going to go through "something to declare" anyway showing them our furniture list and goods being shipped so we might as well sort the tax on laptops as well.
I would ask at service Canada about getting any tax back from them on the laptops, then it's one less thing to stress about when you're actually leaving (you'll have enough to worry about then). As for coming in to UK I can't really say, just make sure you've got the receipts for them I guess. Mine was over 2 yrs old when I came back for good but FWIW, when I arrived at Gatwick shortly after 4am one morning, the UK customs counter was closed - the border desk just looked at my passport and I walked in. Figure that one out.
Old Sep 6th 2015, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

My OH says if we start it up here it will have an IP address of Canada and we will have problems in UK.

That is completely false and I am scratching my head as to what would make him think that. The I.P. address comes from your internet provider/connection to the internet. If you use a laptop at home and then take it to a coffee shop that offers free wi-fi your I.P. address will change without any problems.

You can use a laptop in Canada and then use it in Britain a few hours later (ie. after the plane ride) without any difficulties. Hell, I often use a British proxy server so, as far as the internet is concerned, I spend half my life in the UK but I haven't been back there in a few years.
Old Sep 6th 2015, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Buy a carry case for the laptop and walk through with it on your shoulder so as to avoid paying tax on it. I have never once been questioned about a laptop when arriving in the UK.
Old Sep 6th 2015, 6:06 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

# is shift and the 3 key, so how do you get the £ sign by shift and #?

I should correct what I said about macs, £ is option and 3 key, not option and #.
Old Sep 6th 2015, 7:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
Buy a carry case for the laptop and walk through with it on your shoulder so as to avoid evade paying tax on it. I have never once been questioned about a laptop when arriving in the UK.
FIFY.

What you are suggesting is not legal. It might work, but that is not the same thing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.