British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   New DEFRA Regs from January 2012 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/new-defra-regs-january-2012-a-723046/)

Poppy girl Feb 5th 2012 10:51 pm

Re: New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

Originally Posted by jane blakely (Post 9885719)
Arrived back in UK last month with our 4 dogs and 2 cats!! We used Boomerang, out of Calgary, who did a fantastic job. The forms are all straightforward, as long as each pets details are recorded correctly by the vet, and then stamped by CFIA. We flew Air Transat to Gatwick and it went like clockwork although we never want to have to go through it again!

That's great news thank you for sharing with us!!

dollface Feb 6th 2012 2:32 am

Originally Posted by jane blakely (Post 9885719)
Arrived back in UK last month with our 4 dogs and 2 cats!! We used Boomerang, out of Calgary, who did a fantastic job. The forms are all straightforward, as long as each pets details are recorded correctly by the vet, and then stamped by CFIA. We flew Air Transat to Gatwick and it went like clockwork although we never want to have to go through it again!

Can I ask if the dogs were ok and how old were they?

jane blakely Feb 6th 2012 7:43 am

All four dogs were absolutely fine with the whole trauma of it! They are 11, 10, 8 and 7.

dollface Feb 6th 2012 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by jane blakely (Post 9886174)
All four dogs were absolutely fine with the whole trauma of it! They are 11, 10, 8 and 7.

There was trauma:eek:

My dog is 11 and set in her ways - it worries me to fly her but I have no option..............

jane blakely Feb 6th 2012 12:29 pm

Not really trauma - just upheaval and the dreaded unknown! They were all absolutely fine though and have now forgotten all about it and have settled into their new lives back in the UK.

dollface Feb 6th 2012 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by jane blakely (Post 9886589)
Not really trauma - just upheaval and the dreaded unknown! They were all absolutely fine though and have now forgotten all about it and have settled into their new lives back in the UK.

I'm so pleased:) did you have to drop them off a few hours before the flight took off? and did you but a crate for them?

jane blakely Feb 6th 2012 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 9886685)
I'm so pleased:) did you have to drop them off a few hours before the flight took off? and did you but a crate for them?

Yes, they had to be dropped of at 10 am for a 2pm flight - quite a wait but after a 12 hour drive to the airport I think they were happy to have their own spaces in their boxes! We had to provide individual crates for all 6 pets - not cheap but there was no choice.

dollface Feb 7th 2012 2:12 am

Originally Posted by jane blakely (Post 9886727)
Yes, they had to be dropped of at 10 am for a 2pm flight - quite a wait but after a 12 hour drive to the airport I think they were happy to have their own spaces in their boxes! We had to provide individual crates for all 6 pets - not cheap but there was no choice.

Who did you use for the crates?

Moggiemiss Feb 7th 2012 2:21 am

Great to hear that all went well with the pet travel!

I am planning to return with three dogs and a cat this year. Keep reading the information on the DEFRA site and concerned about getting the paperwork right.

The cat has a pet passport but the dogs are all Canadian citizens!:rofl: They have had microchips and rabies certificates and I have the documentation for this. They just need the tapeworm treatment before travel.

I am going to use a pet transport company so hope they will guide me. My vet here is not familiar with transporting animals internationally but said she will provide me with what I need.

How did you manage the paperwork aspect? I am an overthinker and will find anything to worry about!:eek:

sallysimmons Feb 7th 2012 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Moggiemiss (Post 9887882)

I am planning to return with three dogs and a cat this year. Keep reading the information on the DEFRA site and concerned about getting the paperwork right.

The cat has a pet passport but the dogs are all Canadian citizens!:rofl: They have had microchips and rabies certificates and I have the documentation for this. They just need the tapeworm treatment before travel.

I am going to use a pet transport company so hope they will guide me. My vet here is not familiar with transporting animals internationally but said she will provide me with what I need.

How did you manage the paperwork aspect? I am an overthinker and will find anything to worry about!:eek:

If you're using a pet moving company, they will coordinate everything, including communicating with your vet. We're using one, and we're just going to put it all in their hands.

jane blakely Feb 7th 2012 7:43 am

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 9887875)

We already had 2 giant crates and the Pet Transport co. (Boomerang) provided the other 4 at a really good price.

jane blakely Feb 7th 2012 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Moggiemiss (Post 9887882)

The only thing to watch out for is that ALL numbers referring to microchips, or rabies are correctly entered for each animal. We had a slight problem when one of our certificates had a wrong no. on it and the whole lot had to go back to the vet for correction! Otherwise it was all plain sailing especially with the use of 'Boomerang'.

jane blakely Feb 7th 2012 7:52 am

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 9887875)

I had ordered crates from Sky Kennel but had to cancel the order as they still hadn't arrived a week before we were due to leave! They kept assuring me that I would have them on time and then suddenly emailed to say they were returning my money! I've not heard any good comments about them?

dollface Feb 7th 2012 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by jane blakely (Post 9888155)
I had ordered crates from Sky Kennel but had to cancel the order as they still hadn't arrived a week before we were due to leave! They kept assuring me that I would have them on time and then suddenly emailed to say they were returning my money! I've not heard any good comments about them?

I just opened a thread about that very company!

Eventually who did you purchase from I need to go a different route now too.

jane blakely Feb 7th 2012 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 9888516)
I just opened a thread about that very company!

Eventually who did you purchase from I need to go a different route now too.

Our Pet Transporter (Boomerang) provided us with 4 of them at a very reasonable cost. We already had 2 giant ones for our big guys!