British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   New DEFRA Regs from January 2012 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/new-defra-regs-january-2012-a-723046/)

dollface Oct 24th 2011 10:11 pm

Re: New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

Originally Posted by margaretmwilson (Post 9692783)
Hi, I heard there was a 2 year waiting list.:unsure:

Not sure about that as apparently they have not released the 2013 booking as yet............... I wont wait that long anyway, looks like i'll have to fly her if we go back:(

Guinness Oct 28th 2011 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by leavingcanada (Post 9503351)
this very morning i had a price from boomerang in calgary about shipping 2 poms back to UK...i gave her my crates sizes..we shipped 3 bichons over a few years ago and still have the crates.....they have assumed that so long as the dogs can stand to move and turn around and that they get on well together that they will be shipped in one crate..approx 34 kgs air canada climate controlled cargo at 686 bucks cdn.....on the same note did any one ever have to pay charges for customs clearance and defra on arrival at london heathrow? the total costs would be a tad under 2000 bucks cdn..AND there still has be be a government approved vet sign off on the papers as well as your local vet...even under the new rule change in january 2012

We arrived in Manchester last week with 4 pets and didn't have to pay anything on arrival, on a side not the people at Pets on Jets are amazing and the have a great set up for the pets. Toronto could learn big time from this!

Lorry1 Oct 28th 2011 5:41 pm

I called QM2 yesterday and the prices are not out yet for 2013. They suggest calling early spring 2012.
I got a price for my Lab - $700!

ehl250 Dec 3rd 2011 7:16 am

Dog travel, Canada to UK after Jan. rule change

It seems that in addition to the microchip/rabies shot, treatment for tapeworm is also required, the latter threatment to be entered into a pet passport. Does anyone know if these documents have to be sent away for or maybe the vet's office has them? Yes I know I can ask the vet but have been too busy starting to dispose of my 'stuff' a daunting task.

dunroving Dec 3rd 2011 8:45 am

Re: Dog travel, Canada to UK after Jan. rule change

Originally Posted by ehl250 (Post 9767761)
It seems that in addition to the microchip/rabies shot, treatment for tapeworm is also required, the latter threatment to be entered into a pet passport. Does anyone know if these documents have to be sent away for or maybe the vet's office has them? Yes I know I can ask the vet but have been too busy starting to dispose of my 'stuff' a daunting task.

I seem to recall under the old system, the regular vet recorded it on the third country certificate (that's almost the equivalent of the "pet passport" - the form that got filled in at the end with all of the events thus far, and was countersigned by the USDA vet). The tapeworm bit didn't need signing by the USDA vet.

Have you tried the DEFRA Web site? It is pretty easy to navigate and I found it clear to follow - also I called DEFRA a couple of times and they were fantastic. Worth a long-distance call for peace of mind ...

Pollyana Dec 3rd 2011 2:06 pm

Threads merged :)

pennylessinindia Dec 7th 2011 12:45 pm

seen that new rules for tapeworm been uploaded on the Defra site.
not sure if others have noted this

Poppy girl Dec 8th 2011 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by pennylessinindia (Post 9775551)
seen that new rules for tapeworm been uploaded on the Defra site.
not sure if others have noted this

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...ers/parasites/

margaretmwilson Dec 15th 2011 8:11 pm

Hi I'm not sure if this has already been covered, I've looked but can't find that it has. I am returning to the UK at the end of January 2012 with my dog. I am using a UK based company who have been great thus far. However, I am just wondering about the USDA Health Certificate. I have a EU Pet Passport which has all the vaccination details in etc. What I wonder is, does the US vet still have to fill out a USDA Health Certificate. How soon before the dog flies to the UK does he have to have the form filled out. I'm worried I get to the vets 2 days before flying and he hasn't a clue what I'm talking about.:confused: Oh the confusion.

Poppy girl Dec 15th 2011 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by margaretmwilson (Post 9791079)
Hi I'm not sure if this has already been covered, I've looked but can't find that it has. I am returning to the UK at the end of January 2012 with my dog. I am using a UK based company who have been great thus far. However, I am just wondering about the USDA Health Certificate. I have a EU Pet Passport which has all the vaccination details in etc. What I wonder is, does the US vet still have to fill out a USDA Health Certificate. How soon before the dog flies to the UK does he have to have the form filled out. I'm worried I get to the vets 2 days before flying and he hasn't a clue what I'm talking about.:confused: Oh the confusion.

No disrespect but why don't you call the vet ahead of time to make sure they know what they are doing ;)

margaretmwilson Dec 16th 2011 12:40 am

To be honest, I did ring the vet with many queries and he just said "yes" to everything and I got the feeling that he hadn't really covered this before. I'm just a bit stressed out that I wont' have all the paperwork in place. I have everything else in order but it was the certificate and the "timing" of it that I am worried about. I really was only asking if anyone knew the "timing" issues.

windsong Dec 18th 2011 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9467631)
Isn't it just? What a timeline difference...26 weeks down to 3! :thumbsup:

When I came to live in the US you had no choice...pets had to be quarantined for 6 mths...then DEFRA kicked in...how times change.

My gosh! This is wonderful news!!!!

margaretmwilson Dec 18th 2011 8:12 pm

I rang Defra, they were so helpful. As we brought the dog over here with an EU Pet Passport, which has all his rabies, titres and previous vaccinations, all we need to do is have the tapeworm treatment administered by the vet and there is a page to sign in the pet passport regarding the dogs health and okay to fly and basically that's it.:)

pennylessinindia Jan 29th 2012 3:42 pm

Just wondered if anyone has seen and or used the new forms

http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/live...ificate_en.pdf

tad complicated and seems to have to be completed just one day before travel or am I missing something - looks like another call to defra!!!

jane blakely Feb 5th 2012 10:46 pm

Arrived back in UK last month with our 4 dogs and 2 cats!! We used Boomerang, out of Calgary, who did a fantastic job. The forms are all straightforward, as long as each pets details are recorded correctly by the vet, and then stamped by CFIA. We flew Air Transat to Gatwick and it went like clockwork although we never want to have to go through it again!