Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

Old Jul 14th 2015, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

luvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud of
Default Re: New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

Hi,

I apologise if this question has been asked before, but I just want to make sure I understand everything correctly. We are traveling to the UK from Canada with our cat. She already has a microchip, and we have booked for her to get her rabies immunization. We can then travel after 22 days. Finally we need to get our vet to fill in this form here?
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ealth-cert.pdf
We must travel within 10 days of this being completed, right? Is this the correct form? Will the vet understand how to fill it in, for example there is a space that says certificate number - is that for something else that the vet gives us? We are in rural Canada, so I need to make sure I understand all of this, in case the vet isn't quite sure. From reading through this thread it looks like the vet has to fill the certificate in in blue ink and stamp it with a stamp of red ink - or is that just a USDA requirement?
Old Jul 14th 2015, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

Originally Posted by windsong
M vet is presently continuing with the paperwork we started last summer because my trip home was delayed until next month. He told me today USDA requirements are changing all the time. He has a call in to them to find out what has changed since last year. However, what stamp are we talking about here? Is it the stamp of approval that will be applied by the USDA? Surely the USDA knows what color to use for the stamp.

I'd like to know so I can double check that everything is being done correctly according to today's rules.

We will be traveling from the USA to the UK.
Hi windsong, I'm joining this section as I am now going about the process of moving my dog and cat back to UK (again, a long story), and I too am discovering the many changes that have been introduced.

Here's an extract from the guidance notes that accompany the Pet Certificate Annex IV, on the subject of the stamp (yes, as applied by USDA)

The original of the certificate shall be issued by an official veterinarian of the territory or third country of dispatch or by an authorised veterinarian and subsequently endorsed by the competent authority of the territory or third country of dispatch. The competent authority of the territory or third country of dispatch shall ensure that rules and principles of certification equivalent to those laid down in Directive 96/93/EC are followed.
The colour of the signature shall be different from that of the printing. This requirement also applies to stamps other than those embossed or watermarked.
There's no direction on a specific colour other than as stated, not the same colour as the printed form.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

Originally Posted by luvmykids
Hi,

I apologise if this question has been asked before, but I just want to make sure I understand everything correctly. We are traveling to the UK from Canada with our cat. She already has a microchip, and we have booked for her to get her rabies immunization. We can then travel after 22 days. Finally we need to get our vet to fill in this form here?
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ealth-cert.pdf
We must travel within 10 days of this being completed, right? Is this the correct form? Will the vet understand how to fill it in, for example there is a space that says certificate number - is that for something else that the vet gives us? We are in rural Canada, so I need to make sure I understand all of this, in case the vet isn't quite sure. From reading through this thread it looks like the vet has to fill the certificate in in blue ink and stamp it with a stamp of red ink - or is that just a USDA requirement?
The certificate at gov.uk website is unfortunately it. I had this out with DEFRA on the phone today. The format is a shambles and the accompanying guidance notes contain some errors that I have pointed out.

But yes, it is valid for ten days once signed and stamped by the Canadian Government within which time you must arrive in UK. It is them that issue the reference number that goes onto the top of each page and onto each and every attached page of copied documentation (e.g. vaccination records, microchip certificate/letter).

Please see my last post about colour of stamp, no need for form to be completed in any specific colour, just the stamp and signature (some will dispute this from previous DEFRA advice, but mine dated last week says otherwise), but in any case I will use blue ink for the lot!!!
Old Jul 24th 2015, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Hi just boked my dog into vets for microchip and rabies injection immediately after.
Vet told me Canadian micro chip same as European and that the US is different, can anyone confirm this is correct.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

No it's not correct. I have travelled three times with my dogs to Belfast from Dallas and back again. A USDA vet should know what brands are acceptable into the UK.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 7:24 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
Hi just boked my dog into vets for microchip and rabies injection immediately after.
Vet told me Canadian micro chip same as European and that the US is different, can anyone confirm this is correct.
I don't know for certain, but the Wikipedia page on pet microchips suggests that your vet's right: Europe and Canada use ISO conformant chips, whereas the US has several different types in circulation. You could contact DEFRA to double check.

See the 'cross-compatability and standards issues' section:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microc...andards_issues

Incidentally, are you having rabies and chip done on the same day? If at all possible, I'd spread it out over two, just so it's completely clear that the microchip has been implanted BEFORE the vaccine was administered. This is a big deal. It can be a bit tricky if both chip and vaccine have same date; some people have reported needing the vet to sign a letter stating the chip was implanted first, to satisfy requirements.

Last edited by MoshiMoshi; Jul 25th 2015 at 7:26 am.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
I don't know for certain, but the Wikipedia page on pet microchips suggests that your vet's right: Europe and Canada use ISO conformant chips, whereas the US has several different types in circulation. You could contact DEFRA to double check.

See the 'cross-compatability and standards issues' section:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microc...andards_issues

Incidentally, are you having rabies and chip done on the same day? If at all possible, I'd spread it out over two, just so it's completely clear that the microchip has been implanted BEFORE the vaccine was administered. This is a big deal. It can be a bit tricky if both chip and vaccine have same date; some people have reported needing the vet to sign a letter stating the chip was implanted first, to satisfy requirements.
Thanks for the info, yes was having the rabies after on the same day, so will get the vet to sign something to indicate this. They are charging me $140 for both is that about correct.
Will be traveling back via Amsterdam
Old Jul 27th 2015, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

My dog is due her yearly rabies shot very soon, I'm also planning on taking her back to the UK later this year. She's already been microchipped, so if I go to a USDA accredited vet to get her rabies shot will I be able to start the DEFRA paperwork, but just hold off on the tapeworm pill until we're ready to leave?
Old Jul 27th 2015, 7:31 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachgal21
My dog is due her yearly rabies shot very soon, I'm also planning on taking her back to the UK later this year. She's already been microchipped, so if I go to a USDA accredited vet to get her rabies shot will I be able to start the DEFRA paperwork, but just hold off on the tapeworm pill until we're ready to leave?
That should technically be fine. Does your vet usually give any kind of documentation with rabies vaccines? If not, get them to print something out and sign it, including the following details:

your pet’s date of birth
microchip number, date it was put in or read and where it is on your pet’s body
vaccination date
vaccine product name, eg Nobivac
vaccine batch number
date the vaccination is valid until

(Taken from https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/r...nd-blood-tests )

And check they've got the numbers right! Our original vets made a mess of something like the batch number; our later, more experienced vet picked that up, and said it would've been rejected for final USDA approval if we hadn't corrected it. (FIY, final USDA approval -- when the USDA state office stamps your DEFRA-required documents -- must come 10 or fewer days before your arrival date in the EU, so it's always going to feel a bit last-minute.)
Old Jul 27th 2015, 7:36 pm
Misses Los Angeles

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
Thanks for the info, yes was having the rabies after on the same day, so will get the vet to sign something to indicate this. They are charging me $140 for both is that about correct.
Will be traveling back via Amsterdam
I can't remember how much we paid for microchipping (it was in Europe, anyway), but that seems fair enough. I don't know about Canada, but there seems to be absolutely no standard fee for rabies vaccs in the US -- I've seen it priced anything from $15 to $50.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
That should technically be fine. Does your vet usually give any kind of documentation with rabies vaccines? If not, get them to print something out and sign it, including the following details:

your pet’s date of birth
microchip number, date it was put in or read and where it is on your pet’s body
vaccination date
vaccine product name, eg Nobivac
vaccine batch number
date the vaccination is valid until

(Taken from https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/r...nd-blood-tests )

And check they've got the numbers right! Our original vets made a mess of something like the batch number; our later, more experienced vet picked that up, and said it would've been rejected for final USDA approval if we hadn't corrected it. (FIY, final USDA approval -- when the USDA state office stamps your DEFRA-required documents -- must come 10 or fewer days before your arrival date in the EU, so it's always going to feel a bit last-minute.)

Thank you for your help
Old Sep 9th 2015, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Some Help Please New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

In a weeks time we are bringing are dog from Canada to UK via Amsterdam Do we need Annex 1 in Dutch as well as English?
We will be using different vets for rabies and Microchip (already done) and another closer to Vancouver will this cause any problems?
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 8:34 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the answer to your first question. But, it should not matter that you use different vets. The important thing is that the microchip is done before the vaccination.

Check that your vet has noted the microchip number correctly. Ours turned out to be dyslexic, causing a last minute panic.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 10:12 am
Just Joined

CAH58 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bringing a dog from Australia the requirement is they have a Rabies injection at least 30 days before travel. It has to be a AQIS registered vet. It is a good idea to have the Microchip done first, as that way, the vet can include it with the certificate of the Rabies injection, so it confirms the dog has had the injection. Also I got a copy of all his C5 previous injections and made sure the usual Vet put his Microchip number on that certificate too. Tapeworm treatment is done 1-5 days before travel, not sooner or later. That was done by a Vet in Sydney affiliated with Jetpets, the company we used to transport our dog over. It sounds a nightmare of a procedure but to be honest, it was really plain sailing if using a agent to sort out the travel, flights, tapeworm treatment etc.. they also had to do a 'fit to fly' certificate 24 hours prior to flying, so he was collected from our home 2 days before he flew out from Sydney to Dubai to Manchester. No quarantine needed as he was coming from Australia. Hope this helps anyone doing the same journey. :-)