Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

Old Feb 27th 2013, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice
Default Re: New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I am pretty sure that so long as the microchips were inserted before the three year rabies shot, it is valid for three years. At least that's what my vet told me.
ok thanks - that would certainly save them having more rabies shots.
All our have been microchipped.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gailc
ok thanks - that would certainly save them having more rabies shots.
All our have been microchipped.
Not to mention the inherent health dangers associated with rabies shots.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 12:29 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

He looks so relaxed - I don't think any of our's would look like that
Really the pet travel agency makes sure all the paperwork is correct and everything done at the same time.
What kind of crate do you use?
Another thing of concern is that all our pets have 3 yr rabies - wondering if they can be given it again as it has to be done within a year of travel if I am correct.
Did your cat have to have any other injections besides the rabies and the test they do for intestinal worms?
Yes correct but the paperwork is easy if you read the defra web-site and give them a call.
The crate will depend on the airline VA had specific brands that had to be used my kitty had a larger size then required so he had plenty of space to move around, I go it at Petsmart.
As long as the rabies is valid you are fine and the micro-chips were inserted before the rabies injection this is a must have and you have to have documentation to back this up!
No other injections are required for cats, BUT you will have to take kittys to the vet the airline is going to want a seperate form filled out that the cats are fit to fly this has to be done within 10 days of departure, if you go over the 10days time frame then you will have to take them back again for another physical.....if they had worms they would not pass the vet/airline physcial until they had been killed off the worms lol not the kittys

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I am pretty sure that so long as the microchips were inserted before the three year rabies shot, it is valid for three years. At least that's what my vet told me.
Correct

I will add at the animal reception center at heathrow it was crazy with folk not having the right documents even the pet carriers had screwed up for some folk.......FYI in some states CA included you will need to take vets documents and proof of vaccinations to the USDA office to get clearance to fly.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Yes correct but the paperwork is easy if you read the defra web-site and give them a call.
The crate will depend on the airline VA had specific brands that had to be used my kitty had a larger size then required so he had plenty of space to move around, I go it at Petsmart.
As long as the rabies is valid you are fine and the micro-chips were inserted before the rabies injection this is a must have and you have to have documentation to back this up!
No other injections are required for cats, BUT you will have to take kittys to the vet the airline is going to want a seperate form filled out that the cats are fit to fly this has to be done within 10 days of departure, if you go over the 10days time frame then you will have to take them back again for another physical.....if they had worms they would not pass the vet/airline physcial until they had been killed off the worms lol not the kittys

Correct

I will add at the animal reception center at heathrow it was crazy with folk not having the right documents even the pet carriers had screwed up for some folk.......FYI in some states CA included you will need to take vets documents and proof of vaccinations to the USDA office to get clearance to fly.
Yes same in Texas.....I have done this once already and handled all the shipping details myself. My 4.5 lb Chihuahua travelled from NYC to Belfast without any problems on Continental.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

Thanks all - getting some really good info. from everyone and I feel loads better and less concerned than before regarding the animals.
Now, if we can get my husband squared away - that is another story!
My sister had an idea - microchip him and send him with the animals- LOL
Old Mar 1st 2013, 2:11 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all - getting some really good info. from everyone and I feel loads better and less concerned than before regarding the animals.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 5th 2013, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

too - lucky chap! A special section with dim lighting, room to stand up, turn around and lay down comfortably - beats cattle class any day!
Old Mar 5th 2013, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by happyglow
too - lucky chap! A special section with dim lighting, room to stand up, turn around and lay down comfortably - beats cattle class any day!
My sister and I had a good laugh when she said about it - good thing my hubby has a good sense of humour.
If I thought I could get away with it
Could someone tell me about cattle class? ---Just joking
Old Mar 7th 2013, 6:31 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl

Correct

Good information.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 8:31 pm
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light

Do you need to have 18k pounds in the bank before you can bring in your foreign born (Not in the EU) pet ??
Old Mar 12th 2013, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callowman
Do you need to have 18k pounds in the bank before you can bring in your foreign born (Not in the EU) pet ??
Yes. Yes you do. This amount is to cover all the treats and toys you will feel compelled to buy to assuage the guilt that comes from putting said pet on a plane.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by callowman
Shhh - they might think that is a good idea and make it another rule as well - hehe
Old Mar 13th 2013, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by happyglow
Yes. Yes you do. This amount is to cover all the treats and toys you will feel compelled to buy to assuage the guilt that comes from putting said pet on a plane.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 2:15 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, I am really confused and stressed right now!

Has anyone recently flown their dog from Canada to London?

We are flying my dog from Halifax, Canada to UK in June. He is up to date with rabies and been microchipped.
Can my vet complete the 3rd Country certificate, validate it and de-worm the dog 5 days prior to travel?
Or do I have to go to another authority to validate the certificate 10 days prior to travel and then have the vet de-worm the dog?

I have called Defra but am now even more confused
I thought my vet could do it all. Can anyone clarify?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.