Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

Old Aug 12th 2014, 4:49 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

Originally Posted by morayeel
Does anyone know if you can fly your dogs into Glasgow,Scotland? I am going to be moving from U.S to Scotland.I will first have to get settled and then when I find a place that accepts pets will have my husband take them to the Airport.
You can download the DEFRA-approved routes and carriers from this page (see links halfway down the page).

looks lie several carriers to Glasgow and Edinburgh are approved, but most won't have routes from the US.

The only one I can see that may work direct from the US is USAirways (now part of American). I know they have a direct flight from Philly, arrives in Glasgow around 7 a.m. - but Glasgow isn't listed for USAirways, which is odd. Conversely, United to Glasgow is listed but I know they don't fly direct to Glasgow(!) Maybe also look to see if USAir or United flies direct to Edinburgh.

Several European airlines are listed with Glasgow or Edinburgh as the destination (Lufthansa, KLM, Air France). Maybe you could fly to France, for example, then on to Edinburgh or Glasgow.

Best bet is probably after reading the list, to call DEFRA.
Old Aug 25th 2014, 1:54 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cookiehearts
Thanks for the advice! I feel like now, having researched it, it seems like taking them back via the Queen Mary seems like the least stressful option for our pets. Part of me thinks though that since we would have to fly to New York anyway we might as well just fly to Europe? So thanks for letting me know about Lufthansa! Did you have to then follow the German regulations for importing pets, and then Germany - UK is less strict?

Haha, though I feel like a long car journey + train journey with two cats might be a little different to one with a dog (and people say cats are less maintenance...)
The regulations are all the same now for Europe so no different for Germany. Queen Mary looks a great option and you get lots of luggage too, I believe. the paperwork is straight forward, just follow the instructions. Defra is one of the most helpful gov depts
Old Sep 20th 2014, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

with Queen Mary kennels you need to book minimum of two years in advance, also we have a Lab and he would need two cages 1,440 US$
Old Sep 20th 2014, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

the1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond repute

And if you're a single person like me, the cost is outrageous
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

cookiehearts is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel like we would book the kennels first and then plan our move around that. Still not sure whether it would be better to fly with lufthansa into Germany though, since we would still have to fly to New York with the QM2, so we might as well go all the way? But I am just terrified for our snub-nosed cat being in an aircraft for so long.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

sadie141 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: new defra rules2012 for taking pets back to uk

Originally Posted by pilottinker
Thanks Kira
im using a company here in fl to fly my 2 girl cats from Orlando to England. They will hopefully if all goes well lve in 2 weeks....they were chipped in 2008, and they tell me its acceptable..they had rabies shots sept 10th 2014....had to wait 21 days before flying...then need to take them back to vet for international health certificates which are good for 10 days.....since the company im using is on the other coast to me, its been lots phone/calls...e/mails....faxing...lots paperwork but things changed in 2012 evidently for the better...but I will be a basket/case until my fur/girls are safely in my friends home...albeit temporarily til I can get there after selling my house here...they are being transported door to door!!
Old Nov 10th 2014, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

sadie141 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: new defra rules2012 for taking pets back to uk

Originally Posted by sadie141
im using a company here in fl to fly my 2 girl cats from Orlando to England. They will hopefully if all goes well lve in 2 weeks....they were chipped in 2008, and they tell me its acceptable..they had rabies shots sept 10th 2014....had to wait 21 days before flying...then need to take them back to vet for international health certificates which are good for 10 days.....since the company im using is on the other coast to me, its been lots phone/calls...e/mails....faxing...lots paperwork but things changed in 2012 evidently for the better...but I will be a basket/case until my fur/girls are safely in my friends home...albeit temporarily til I can get there after selling my house here...they are being transported door to door!!
yes the price is outrageous...but for my peace of mind was good...and my fur girls arrived safe and sound...albeit 12 hrs from Gatwick to gt yarmouth cos the transport in uk didn't allow for heavy traffic......was excellent transport fl to Orlando tho...and my fur girls are doing well....I sold my hse in 3 weeks??!!im totally worn out clearing hse...selling...sending fur girls...BUT...I fly from fl to Heathrow tomorrow...im going HOME!!!!!
Old Dec 28th 2014, 8:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Update to Pet Passport scheme from 29th December 2014

The changes include:

a new minimum age of 12 weeks before a pet can be vaccinated against rabies
new pet passports will include laminated strips and a requirement for more contact details to be provided by the vet issuing the document and certifying the veterinary treatments
a new requirement for all member states in the EU to carry out checks on their borders (the UK already checks all pets coming into the country through approved routes)
a tighter definition of non-commercial movement which will mean owners who cannot travel with a pet when they enter the EU, must do so within 5 days; owners can still authorise another person to travel with their pet, but again the pet and authorised person must travel within 5 days of each other
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

tratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond repute

I apologise if the answers are out there but I would like some help as I am really stressed about this.

I am in the UK and my wife, family and dog are in Canada.
We are planning to ship the dog via Air France to Paris where I will pick her up.

We will have the microchip, vaccine, tapeworm and vet certificates endorsed by canadian authority. We will also have the declarations that I am designated to be responsible for her and that she is not to be sold.

My concerns, maybe I am overthinking things, but if someone could reassure me:

1. Will the documents that she leaves with, ALL of them including the certificates be available to me when I collect her?
2. Is it easy to collect a dog from Paris? As far as locating her and getting her released to me
3. I have never gone over the channel or driven in France. Is it simple enough to cross over? I also hear there are tolls in France which always freak me out cause I never know what to expect (how to pay, how much, etc)
4. Will I have any issues with my Canadian documents to get her into the UK?

Help please.
Thanks.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

Just to remind everyone the stamp from the USDA accredited vet MUST be in a different colour to the print of the certificate.

It does state this on the certificate.

Most vets however use black stamps. Had to call 6 different vets in Los Angeles before I found one that used a red stamp!!!

Good luck!
Old Feb 16th 2015, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britwhore
Just to remind everyone the stamp from the USDA accredited vet MUST be in a different colour to the print of the certificate.

It does state this on the certificate.

Most vets however use black stamps. Had to call 6 different vets in Los Angeles before I found one that used a red stamp!!!

Good luck!
That stamp is for the official state vet not your regular vet. Make sure you are going to the right vet for the right things. The state vet should know exactly how to fill out the paperwork since its what they do. The practice stamp of your vet(who needs to be USDA accredited to do the paperwork) Can be in blank ink.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 8:57 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
That stamp is for the official state vet not your regular vet. Make sure you are going to the right vet for the right things.
+1. It's potentially confusing, because you need to go to a USDA-accredited vet for all the practical care, but then to the USDA state vet (totally different) for the final paperwork to be signed off. The USDA state vet doesn't see your pet at all.

The USDA stamp on the certificate is very distinctive, almost like a seal.

But I'm sure there's a place on the Annex II document that needs to be stamped by your own vet (the USDA-accredited one). I'm not sure if this is what Britwhore referred to. The different-colour thing might well stand there, since it's apparently important that the practice vet sign with non-black ink, too.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

I had my vet complete the forms in blue ink. Their practice stamp was in blank ink and it was not an issue. It's the colour of the writing that matters. You're right moshimoshi the state vet stamp is very distinct like a seal.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 8:34 am
Sueffun

sueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nice

I'm in South Africa, all five of my cats have been microchipped for years, they have annual Rabies and all the other cat vaccinations and deworming/flea meds. We don't have state vets only vets in private practice. If I wanted to go back to the UK with my cats what would I need to do as I can't think of anything else they would need other than what I have done already. Thanks
Old Feb 17th 2015, 8:59 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sueffun
I'm in South Africa, all five of my cats have been microchipped for years, they have annual Rabies and all the other cat vaccinations and deworming/flea meds. We don't have state vets only vets in private practice. If I wanted to go back to the UK with my cats what would I need to do as I can't think of anything else they would need other than what I have done already. Thanks
Best bet is to ask DEFRA. The USDA vet is an American thing, but there may be some local government agency equivalent in South Africa (usually connected to animals or agriculture) which is authorised to accredit your documents. DEFRA will know for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.