Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

Old Sep 19th 2013, 7:22 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

Originally Posted by Savvydog
Be careful, depending on where you are bringing them from, the process is not that quick. I looked into it and 1st had to microchip, then rabies shot next day (even if previous one hasn't expired), then wait for 1 month, then take rabies tider and wait for 3 months for result! I was so glad we didn't take tat job in Europe, we would have had to leave our pets here for at least a month or 2 before we were able to take them out the country. And shipping them out is way more expensive if you don't fly with them.
If you are coming from an EU country or a 'listed' country, you don't need the post-rabies-shot titer test (blood test). You just need to wait 21 days from the date of vaccination to travel.

'Listed' countries include the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan... really, most 1st world countries/British expat destinations. (Exception: the Middle East. Only UAE and Bahrain are listed.)

If you are coming from an unlisted country, you do need a titer test after the rabies shot -- but it's at least 30 days after, not 3 months.

Your pet doesn't need a new rabies vaccination if the previous one is still in date AND the pet was already microchipped at the time of that vaccination. (With an EU standard microchip, with all details properly recorded on the vaccination certificate.)

AFAIK, it's not more expensive to fly the pets into the UK unaccompanied, if you have someone to drop them off and pick them up at the airports. Pets flying into the UK must come as 'manifest cargo', which is expensive whether you're on the plane too or not. Obviously if you need to use a pet transport company to handle this, it'll cost more.

Small pets flying into Europe will be cheaper if accompanied, as you can generally take them into the cabin at a much lower rate.

Full DEFRA guidelines here:

https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-inform...nd-territories

Last edited by MoshiMoshi; Sep 19th 2013 at 7:30 am.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Savvydog is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that update. I live in one of those unlisted countries and the 3 months was the waiting for the results of the titer to come back. I hadn't microchipped my pets (which I recommend anyone wanting to take their pets home to do so) before so had to do that and revaccinate them a day later.
Some people will actually pay someone to bring the pet later because it is so much cheaper than sending them alone.
Also, don't forget, there are restrictions on types of dogs that airlines will not fly which includes most flat nosed dogs.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

tarynfromsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, my husband and I have just moved to London from South Africa and would like to have our dogs sent up once winter is over. I was wondering whether anyone else had brought their dogs to the UK from SA, if so, how did they adapt?
Old Sep 30th 2013, 3:53 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tarynfromsa
Hi, my husband and I have just moved to London from South Africa and would like to have our dogs sent up once winter is over. I was wondering whether anyone else had brought their dogs to the UK from SA, if so, how did they adapt?
Hello and welcome

To be honest taryn its not going to make much difference what country they are company from except the climate change, they won't know any different as long as they have their mum and dad and loved the rest will fall into place
Hundreds of animals come from far and wide everyday they soon settle down
Old Sep 30th 2013, 3:58 pm
Sueffun

sueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nice

I haven't taken pets abroad at all but a friend of mine successfully took two big dogs from SA to UK and that was before all the changes, so they did the 6 month quarantine story. Both dogs were fine and seem to a
Have adapted well.
I do find South Africans tend to leave their dogs outside and they are more like guard dogs, where as in the UK people take the dogs for walks each day and usually keep them inside, especially in the winter. That what all my family and friends do in the UK with their dogs. Wishing you
good luck with everything.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 3:44 am
Just Joined

cookiehearts is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, so I feel like a complete crazy person posting here considering we aren't planning on moving back to the UK for a good while (currently in the US)... but it's been bothering me a lot.

We have 2 cats, and one of them is an exotic short hair (flat faced persian). I will not fly her in cargo since she has breathing difficulties as it is - is it possible to fly her into France and then go by train/car from there? Has anyone done this before? I have only been to France via ferry, and have absolutely no recollection of what the border control is like - will it cause problems not going through a major airport?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Apr 6th 2014, 8:25 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cookiehearts
We have 2 cats, and one of them is an exotic short hair (flat faced persian). I will not fly her in cargo since she has breathing difficulties as it is - is it possible to fly her into France and then go by train/car from there? Has anyone done this before?
Hi Cookiehearts, several people on the forum have taken this route with their pets, so it's definitely possible. The good news is it's often cheaper than flying directly into the UK. But it's more legwork, of course, as it drags out your journey. You still need the same documentation as you would for flying directly into the UK.

I haven't done this personally (my cats went LAX-LHR), but maybe do a search or make a new thread to find others here who have. When you post on a 'sticky' thread like this, it doesn't get as much traffic. Good luck!
Old Apr 7th 2014, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Choccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond repute

Well my boys are finally on their way and I will be reunited with them tomorrow and cannot wait.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 9:58 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

We have 2 cats, and one of them is an exotic short hair - is it possible to fly her into France and then go by train/car from there? Has anyone done this before? I have only been to France via ferry, and have absolutely no recollection of what the border control is like - will it cause problems not going through a major airport?

Thanks for any advice!
Hi, I found your query by chance. You may do well to post on the France forum concerning your idea to pass through France with pets.
If there are two of you, you can each carry one cat in a carrier in French trains, but it's not a simple matter to get from CdG airport to a ferry port by train (change in Lille or Paris) and I'm not sure what you'd do with the cats on the ferry (dogs aren't allowed for foot passengers). One solution would be to get someone in the UK to come over by car and take you back.
There are regulations for bringing pets into France from a non-EU country, the French Customs has a site which has been posted on the France forum.
And before travelling on to the UK, you'd also have the problem of getting the worming treatment validated by a French vet within the regulation time. P.S. added. The worming only applies to dogs, apparently, but check what is required for cats....
I've no personal experience, I'm only passing on info given by BE members on the France forum, which is why I'm suggesting that you post again there!
Hope you find a solution, whatever!

Last edited by dmu; Apr 9th 2014 at 10:03 am.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 7:52 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

OK, so I feel like a complete crazy person posting here considering we aren't planning on moving back to the UK for a good while (currently in the US)... but it's been bothering me a lot.

We have 2 cats, and one of them is an exotic short hair (flat faced persian). I will not fly her in cargo since she has breathing difficulties as it is - is it possible to fly her into France and then go by train/car from there? Has anyone done this before? I have only been to France via ferry, and have absolutely no recollection of what the border control is like - will it cause problems not going through a major airport?

Thanks for any advice!
I have taken a dog via france, actually landed in Frankfurt ( as lufthansa are so good with pets) traveled across germany, belgium and france by train and then traveled in a car (taxi) through the tunnel. Very easy they just check the pet documents scan the chip and then give you a sticker for the car and that is it!!
Old Jul 21st 2014, 10:30 am
Just Joined

SydneyCider is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by odee
so we can take our pets, but not our wives....

aaaand the UK keeps getting stranger!
Ha ha ha brilliant!
Old Jul 28th 2014, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice! I feel like now, having researched it, it seems like taking them back via the Queen Mary seems like the least stressful option for our pets. Part of me thinks though that since we would have to fly to New York anyway we might as well just fly to Europe? So thanks for letting me know about Lufthansa! Did you have to then follow the German regulations for importing pets, and then Germany - UK is less strict?

Haha, though I feel like a long car journey + train journey with two cats might be a little different to one with a dog (and people say cats are less maintenance...)
Old Aug 11th 2014, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Sorry couple more questions!

1) What do you think is the ideal time to start the process of getting forms / vaccinations before you leave?

2) Is there a company that will take care of all the paperwork but not the actual moving part? I want to transport our pets with us, but would rather pay someone to take care of all the tedious paperwork.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Sorry couple more questions!

1) What do you think is the ideal time to start the process of getting forms / vaccinations before you leave?

2) Is there a company that will take care of all the paperwork but not the actual moving part? I want to transport our pets with us, but would rather pay someone to take care of all the tedious paperwork.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if you can fly your dogs into Glasgow,Scotland? I am going to be moving from U.S to Scotland.I will first have to get settled and then when I find a place that accepts pets will have my husband take them to the Airport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.