Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

Old Jun 4th 2013, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice
Default Re: New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

just about to embark on buying the Sky Kennels (4 in total) and am wondering which website everyone went to? It seems there's a huge variation in price based on the site you go to, and I obviously want to make sure I'm getting the correct type and also don't want to be ripped off spending more than I have to !
Old Jun 4th 2013, 1:53 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
just about to embark on buying the Sky Kennels (4 in total) and am wondering which website everyone went to? It seems there's a huge variation in price based on the site you go to, and I obviously want to make sure I'm getting the correct type and also don't want to be ripped off spending more than I have to !
Call the airline who you are flying with they will tell you which ones are acceptable and which not, plus where to buy them

When I was going to buy my kitty his kennel I was just going to get one that fitted the right dimensions, wrong, certain brand names are only allowed.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Call the airline who you are flying with they will tell you which ones are acceptable and which not, plus where to buy them

When I was going to buy my kitty his kennel I was just going to get one that fitted the right dimensions, wrong, certain brand names are only allowed.
I'm looking at the Sky Kennel brand, but I will phone BA tomorrow to ask them.
The size is confusing too, I think I'd better err on the side of caution and get ones that are a bit too big than small in case they refuse them onto the flight
Old Jun 4th 2013, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Guinness is an unknown quantity at this point

i managed to get the best price at my local independent pet store, he had no problem ordering them in for me. Paid cash so he gave me a break on the Tax.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking at the Sky Kennel brand, but I will phone BA tomorrow to ask them.
The size is confusing too, I think I'd better err on the side of caution and get ones that are a bit too big than small in case they refuse them onto the flight
You will need to have a crate that conforms to the recommendations for your particular size dog. Even though the crates are strapped down to pallets, in turbulent weather, a crate that is too large may cause the dogs to get thrown around inside.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 12:56 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
You will need to have a crate that conforms to the recommendations for your particular size dog. Even though the crates are strapped down to pallets, in turbulent weather, a crate that is too large may cause the dogs to get thrown around inside.
I don't know so much my cats crate was way bigger than he needed and the airline (Virgin Atlantic) even said to me if you can afford to get it a little bigger its worth it for the pets comfort...plus the ex is a pilot those crates don't move around as a rule they are solid ..not saying it can't happen but very very unlikely.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know so much my cats crate was way bigger than he needed and the airline (Virgin Atlantic) even said to me if you can afford to get it a little bigger its worth it for the pets comfort...plus the ex is a pilot those crates don't move around as a rule they are solid ..not saying it can't happen but very very unlikely.
Not unlikely at all....it depends on the weather circumstances on any particular flight...
I have shipped six dogs to the UK OVER THE YEARS,....All tinies...chihuahuas. Not a dog shipper but wouldn't 't leave without my babies. So we traveled and returned.
You need to talk to a vet who has ad experiences with small animal shipping.
You are rude and lacking knowledge. I am an animal judge and take shipping my dogs more seriously than Virgin Atlantic appears to. They know the bigger the crate.....the more $$$$$ for the Airline.
I used to fly for BA...as a career.....so I know what I know....you wouldn't want to hear the horror stories....believe me, I do know no airline has a perfect record. Glad your cat made it:-)
Old Jun 5th 2013, 1:29 am

Not unlikely at all....it depends on the weather circumstances on any particular flight...
I have shipped six dogs to the UK OVER THE YEARS,....All tinies...chihuahuas. Not a dog shipper but wouldn't 't leave without my babies. So we traveled and returned.
You need to talk to a vet who has ad experiences with small animal shipping.
You are rude and lacking knowledge. I am an animal judge and take shipping my dogs more seriously than Virgin Atlantic appears to. They know the bigger the crate.....the more $$$$$ for the Airline.
I used to fly for BA...as a career.....so I know what I know....you wouldn't want to hear the horror stories....believe me, I do know no airline has a perfect record. Glad your cat made it:-)
Excuse me I am not being rude at all and not lacking in knowledge based on my own personal experience with my cat and other folk I have talked to in the airline industry...I am sorry you feel the need to be so sharp and aggressive in your reply.....I am also aware of the horror storys some have been posted on BE over the years, just because people do not agree with your opinion does not make them rude
Old Jun 5th 2013, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Excuse me I am not being rude at all and not lacking in knowledge based on my own personal experience with my cat and other folk I have talked to in the airline industry...I am sorry you feel the need to be so sharp and aggressive in your reply.....I am also aware of the horror storys some have been posted on BE over the years, just because people do not agree with your opinion does not make them rude
Would you like to hear some? I don't think so. Been in dogs for 30 + years. Have brought CH Siamese cat from the UK. We leash trained him before the trip. He was brilliant.
All I wanted you to know as well as others is that a crate too large for the size of the animal is much more dangerous than the correct size. Bigger isn't always better. I am not into horror stories....just personal experience.
Sorry I bothered...
Old Jun 5th 2013, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

I had been told by someone (or read it somewhere) that it's likely your pet will be refused travel if the crate is considered too small, however no-one as been turned away with a crate a tad too big for the animal inside.

Please don't tell me any horror stories at this point, I have read a few about United Airlines and stopped because if I carried on I wouldn't ship them at all with anyone

Anyway I ordered the crates on pet supplies.com or something similar and they are en route to my house now.

By the way Poppy, I don't think you were rude at all with what you'd written
Old Jun 5th 2013, 2:07 am

Would you like to hear some? I don't think so. Been in dogs for 30 + years. Have brought CH Siamese cat from the UK. We leash trained him before the trip. He was brilliant.
All I wanted you to know as well as others is that a crate too large for the size of the animal is much more dangerous than the correct size. Bigger isn't always better. I am not into horror stories....just personal experience.
Sorry I bothered...
I have heard enough of the horror stories thank you, I also have flown a burmese from Portugal to England and my kitty to the UK and back to California.
I am not arguing with you I just resent it when I am not allowed to give my personal opinion and looked upon as being rude I have no idea where that came from!
I will say this, would you also rather have a animal cramped in a confined space because when I put puss cat into the crate that was supposed to be for his size there was no way I would of let him suffer in there although he could turn around and it was the correct dimensions.

I guess we have to beg to differ on this.
Luckily I am not alone in my opinions http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/01/1...airline-cargo/

Last edited by Poppy girl; Jun 5th 2013 at 2:51 am.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 2:08 am

I had been told by someone (or read it somewhere) that it's likely your pet will be refused travel if the crate is considered too small, however no-one as been turned away with a crate a tad too big for the animal inside.

Please don't tell me any horror stories at this point, I have read a few about United Airlines and stopped because if I carried on I wouldn't ship them at all with anyone

Anyway I ordered the crates on pet supplies.com or something similar and they are en route to my house now.

By the way Poppy, I don't think you were rude at all with what you'd written
Thank you Elizabeth
Old Jun 5th 2013, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

Sorry I bothered...
I am sorry, but I think at this point it is YOU who are being rude .
Poppy was just giving her opinion after all from her experience.

Common sense would tell us that if the crates are strapped down, they wouldn't move, but, if the crate is too big for the animal, in turbulence the animal could be thrown around. At the same time, the crate needs to allow standing up and moving around room.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by gailc
I am sorry, but I think at this point it is YOU who are being rude .
Poppy was just giving her opinion after all from her experience.

Common sense would tell us that if the crates are strapped down, they wouldn't move, but, if the crate is too big for the animal, in turbulence the animal could be thrown around. At the same time, the crate needs to allow standing up and moving around room.
Thank you exactly
Old Jun 5th 2013, 4:57 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Are you causing trouble and being rude again, Poppy? She's an animal judge you know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.