New British bank account

Old Sep 17th 2020, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute
Default New British bank account

I am planning to return to UK after many years abroad.I closed my bank account when I moved & have never had a UK address since that time.I am aware that many ex-pats living on the Continent do keep their account open & have their funds there by retaining their old address for this purpose. but this is not the case for myself.Now I am stuck as I want to have money available when I relocate.It appears that I must present 3 months utilities bills from a UK address to open a new account which means that either I use a family member's address or rent for 3 months on my return.As an aside,my Swedish bank manager here laughed out loud & said that his country would be glad to take my savings & could set up an account in Sweden for me without a problem no matter what nationality I was or in what currency. At one time I did have an account in Gibraltar but 2 years ago they closed it as they said they were no longer dealing in euros,probably in preparation for Brexit I assumed.I have few family members & do not want to ask to use their address so any other solution would be welcomed by anyone .Transfer of funds is not the problem,I need an account number to do so.

Old Sep 17th 2020, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New British bank account

There are other threads on this very issue this year so you may like to browse the forum for suggestions. A Transferwise borderless account will give a UK sort code and account number for you to use for the first few weeks/months after you return and can establish utility bills. Our son stayed with us for about 3 months on his return while he bought a house and the bank accepted as proof of address a signed letter from us stating that he was living with us. The DWP also asked for a letter from us as proof of address when he went for his interview to get a NI number.

Moving back to Wales

Looking long term to moving back. Bank accounts.

Moving back to the UK
Old Sep 17th 2020, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Banks in UK make it very difficult to open an account for nomads. I had huge problems when returning here after decades working in The Middle East and the Balkans. Financial regulators set up a system to prevent money-laundering by drug barons and terrorists. All it did was inconvenience those of us who live and work abroad.

Last edited by scot47; Sep 17th 2020 at 3:43 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2020, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Scot47, I think I shall have the same problem as yourself.Thanks also to Durham lad,but I won't involve my elderly family members as it would not be true that I will be staying in their house,even at the start.It was different for your son.Regulators don't seem to be having much success preventing money laundering.Not only barons & terrorists involved,plenty of resident British nationals too,I suspect. There were no questions asked of me when I initially opened an account in Gibraltar with a sterling cheque so perhaps I may have to change some euros & have a try by that route,then transfer from there into one of the UK branches.
Old Sep 18th 2020, 4:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougal03
Scot47, I think I shall have the same problem as yourself.Thanks also to Durham lad,but I won't involve my elderly family members as it would not be true that I will be staying in their house,even at the start.It was different for your son.Regulators don't seem to be having much success preventing money laundering.Not only barons & terrorists involved,plenty of resident British nationals too,I suspect. There were no questions asked of me when I initially opened an account in Gibraltar with a sterling cheque so perhaps I may have to change some euros & have a try by that route,then transfer from there into one of the UK branches.
I don't know if the route is still open, or whether the monthly minimum credits and/or initial investment requirements might exclude you, but until recently it was possible to open an account with Lloyds Bank in the Isle of Man, which gave you a "British bank account, checque book and debit card", that would never raise any questions when used in the UK, and which opens to the door to you "moving the account onshore" (primarily to reduce fees) once you get settled in the UK.
Old Sep 19th 2020, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

It's a minefield.This week,just published,in the local English language newspapers,is an article stating that Barclays is abandoning ex-pat customers without a residential address in UK.All Barclaycard credit cards will be cancelled after October 22 due to UK leaving the EU.spokesperson states.adding that all customers have been written to.One man replied that he has used his for 14 years living in Spain.I daresay he has kept his pension/s in UK to avoid the chaos of the everchanging exchange rate between the euro & Sterling.Also maybe double taxation rules that are questioned regularly.I know how odd it is every month seeing different amounts but I have a Spanish pension so my English one is less important.I can well see how the Bank in Gibraltar closed my account,we British Nationals cannot expect any support from our birth country.The door is being closed,no vote & not even an MEP to argue our case.