neighbours?

Old Apr 7th 2008, 7:50 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: neighbours?

Originally Posted by shazza777
I like it! if i got you some wire wool, will you knit me a kettle?
I can't knit circles. I might be able to do a square kettle ....without handle or spout. (too tricky)
Old Apr 7th 2008, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jumping doris
I can't knit circles. I might be able to do a square kettle ....without handle or spout. (too tricky)
So you do know the rhyme......

I'm a little teapot! lol
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TruBrit
we got up early for work in the uk but didn't stop us playing out in the evenings so dunno why they do it...they are sleeping their lives away i know that much
Well the schools here, some start at SEVEN am !!!!!

I remember sleepwalking to school in UK for 9am and I thought that was bad

Then people's jobs all start so early here, guy next door has to be at work for 3.30am !!

My hubby has to now be at work for 5am !

What ever happen to 9 till 5 ??

Elaine
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jumping doris
That happens where I am, people are always striking up conversations often because they hear my accent.

I found it hard at first to make friends because my children are older and not sporty so I didn't meet other mums at school events.
Once the children here get to middle school there is less parental involvement unless they are in a team of some sort.
When we arrived my two eldest were high schoolers and the youngest was in 5th grade. It took me a long time to meet other parents.

All the jobs on the various school committees were taken by a posse of mums who didn't welcome new people and it was hard.

I still feel lonley sometimes because I do miss the bustle of living in a busy environment.
Well you are a STEPFORD WIFE so you know what they are all doing, cleaning house, cooking, baking etc. You havn't been converted yet ??
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Tried to make friends with some wives, but they are always doing "baking" sales, don't think i am ready for that yet,

mind you though!

desperation is setting in now, i can see myself in a little pinny telling everyone my secret ingredient for mycrumpets!
Here people keep to themselves, over time I've go to know most people on the street, only took me 20 years !! LOL

I met some of them by taking their dogs back home when they've got out, seems landscapers and workmen have no concern if they let the owners animals escape.

Some people we nod at each other when in our cars, we say hello, but, not much more.

With several families I know it's the language barrier and apart from hello, it's probably not going to go further than that.

Myself and a couple of people on our street have an unofficial neighborhood watch, so, we speak quite often.

There is no popping in for a chat with anyone, no get togethers, no kids playing out in the street.

Elaine
Old Apr 7th 2008, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukelaine
Here people keep to themselves, over time I've go to know most people on the street, only took me 20 years !! LOL

I met some of them by taking their dogs back home when they've got out, seems landscapers and workmen have no concern if they let the owners animals escape.

Some people we nod at each other when in our cars, we say hello, but, not much more.

With several families I know it's the language barrier and apart from hello, it's probably not going to go further than that.

Myself and a couple of people on our street have an unofficial neighborhood watch, so, we speak quite often.

There is no popping in for a chat with anyone, no get togethers, no kids playing out in the street.

Elaine
I think it really depends upon the neighborhood you happen to be in. In mine, they're big lots so the houses are far away - a few of us wave, but that's it for me. Of course, I haven't tried hard to get acquainted I must admit.

My friend, on the other hand, lives on a block where they all get together frequently - ladies lunches, BBQs, parties in the winter, movie nights with the kids...

And these are both in the same town.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 10:05 pm
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

I like it! if i got you some wire wool, will you knit me a kettle?
you still not found a kettle? got mine in maison du target.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Well the schools here, some start at SEVEN am !!!!!

I remember sleepwalking to school in UK for 9am and I thought that was bad

Then people's jobs all start so early here, guy next door has to be at work for 3.30am !!

My hubby has to now be at work for 5am !

What ever happen to 9 till 5 ??

Elaine
i know, 7am is too early for the kiddies imo....the daily routine does start early in this house also but if there has been anywhere to go that might resort to a late night (fat chance here tbh ) then OH has a catnap and then off we go. we'd never go to bed early, too much living to do, well not here but over yonder

when i go back to the uk my friends will call me and say 'pick you up at 9pm' i always smile to myself and think if only they knew
Old Apr 7th 2008, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cybersecretary
you still not found a kettle? got mine in maison du target.
Well if desperate, go to www.lnt.com and search for "electric kettle" - they have a whole bunch of them.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:10 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
when we moved to our new neighborhood it did seem quiet compared to our old one so we held a "we'd like to get to know you" party. Just a few nibbles and drinks...everyone had a great time and we're all planning a block party for later in the summer.
What a great idea!!!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i know, 7am is too early for the kiddies imo....the daily routine does start early in this house also but if there has been anywhere to go that might resort to a late night (fat chance here tbh ) then OH has a catnap and then off we go. we'd never go to bed early, too much living to do, well not here but over yonder

when i go back to the uk my friends will call me and say 'pick you up at 9pm' i always smile to myself and think if only they knew
I know !!

I was just off the boat and we were going to a club, I had to ready by SEVEN !!!! ROFL and my hubby was totally serious !!

I was like what the Hell !

Virtually everyone had gone home by 11pm.

In England that's the time you GO to the clubs in the West End, in fact a lot of the clubs i went to did not even open until 9pm.

Then I've had several America's say how they party HARD and they invited me to a party that they were expecting me to be at by EIGHT ! LOL

Again, party was over by 11pm

I used to go to a night club in UK, get there about 10-11pm leave there about 1-2am THEN go to a party and leave there in time to catch the first tube at about 6am, nicking a bottle of milk off someones door step on the way to the tube if I was in the London area.

Even in my local area, Essex you didn't go out until about 9pm.

Oh SHOOT ! Now i want to go out

Elaine
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:11 pm

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point

My next door neighbours on the one side are very nice, it did however take 6 months for the lady of the house to actually introduce herself! Prior to that there was lots of waving going on etc... The neighbours on the other side are OK - not quite our "cup of tea" (a bit bold and brash). I must sound like a snob now and I am absolutely not, I can assure you! It's a shame though because they have a swimming pool.....
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:28 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Well you are a STEPFORD WIFE so you know what they are all doing, cleaning house, cooking, baking etc. You havn't been converted yet ??
Most people work in my neighbourhood......I'm one of the only ones at home baking, cooking and cleaning

Actually, you can keep the cleaning but I love cooking.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I know !!

Elaine

i hear you

we don't go to anything here hardly any more, not worth getting all dolled up for a couple of hrs if that
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:51 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Do all American neighbours keep themselves to themselves or is it just here in Killeen?

I understand not wanting to share all of your business with each other, but in my street, i think that we are the only ones living here. The only sign that makes me think differently is that i see cars in the drive on an evening then they are gone by the morrow!

I was coming back from my usual morning stroll of taking my step son to school and it hit me! As i hit the corner of our drive, i knew that i had seen the same scene before, yep! the movie Pleasantville!!!!
Hi, Shazza777, my inlaws have lived in Killeen since 1980. One of the problems seems to be that because the majority of people are connected to the military, neighbours are always changing and it's hard to get to know people. People generally don't go out and walk much partly because it's so hot for a lot of the year -- OH and I used to walk around the block when we stayed with his parents and we were the only people out, even in winter. Having said that, could you perhaps volunteer at a local hospital, animal shelter or other organisation where you might get to meet people? Or perhaps check to see if there's a local chapter of TBPA (Transatlantic Brides and Parents Association). You'll probably'll find most of the members are older than you, but it could be a good starting point to meet other Brits.

http://members.cox.net/brit-place/

Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.