Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Need visa to go to England?

Wikiposts

Need visa to go to England?

Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:42 am
LaCarteraEnLaCocina

Nits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to all
Default Need visa to go to England?

Hi everyone... I'm sure this is not the right place for the thread but... now that I am a permanent resident of the US, do you know if I still need a visa to go to England or to Canada?
Old Jul 14th 2009, 12:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need visa to go to England?

Originally Posted by Nits22
Hi everyone... I'm sure this is not the right place for the thread but... now that I am a permanent resident of the US, do you know if I still need a visa to go to England or to Canada?
It depends on where you are originally from.

If you are originally from a country that needed a visa to visit the UK, then yes, you will still need a visa to visit the UK. You will need a visa to the UK until you become a USC.

As for Canada, my husband was able to visit Mexico (and I believe the same was for Canada), back in 2006, just by using his green card. I do not know if that rule still applies today.

Rene
Old Jul 14th 2009, 1:02 pm
LaCarteraEnLaCocina

Nits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to all

Seems like I will still be applying for visas.
Once again, thanks for your response
Old Jul 14th 2009, 1:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Switzerland is one of a few countries that will let you visit with just your greencard alone, everywhere else, doesn't matter if you have a greencard, if you needed a visa before hand, you'd still need one, till you got your US citizenship.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 1:12 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

This is a handy little tool that is good enough for general information; you can look on the UK consulate's website for more detailed info, but it looks like you might not need a visa, for a visit.
http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...tion/index.jsp

England = United Kingdom on their list.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Switzerland is one of a few countries that will let you visit with just your greencard alone, everywhere else, doesn't matter if you have a greencard, if you needed a visa before hand, you'd still need one, till you got your US citizenship.
Canada is another.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 3:31 am
LaCarteraEnLaCocina

Thanks everyone for your response.

I found out I don't need a visa for canada if I am a PR of the U.S.
And Argentina doesn't need visas for most of Europe, except for England, hehe
Anyway, I won't be travelling to England for a while (I still have attorney's fees to pay off, hehe) so I have time to get a visa.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 4:13 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

N,

Check the web site that M suggested. Or this one:
http://projectvisa.com/countryinfo.asp?countrycode=uk

Regards, JEff

... Argentina doesn't need visas for most of Europe, except for England, hehe
Anyway, I won't be travelling to England for a while (I still have attorney's fees to pay off, hehe) so I have time to get a visa.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 4:36 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
N,

Check the web site that M suggested. Or this one:
http://projectvisa.com/countryinfo.asp?countrycode=uk

Regards, JEff
JEff, you know how much I love that Delta link from you... what is this one? It says that the visa free entry is 90 days, when it's in fact 6 months, so I wonder about how accurate it is?
The way the Delta link reads, it appears that Nits does not need a visa for the UK, but am I the only one reading it that way? It's worded very poorly.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 4:53 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

m,

Maybe I didn't give the best entry to that site, but I'm not seeing the 90 days when I explore the site. I see 6 months for a visitor to the UK, without mention of visa or visa-free.

A better link might have been this one, which is quite clear that N does not need a visa to visit:
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ukvqr?r...=United+States

But you know that I loathe giving the answer, I prefer to point the questioner in the right direction and let them find the answer themself collecting collateral information along the way.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by meauxna
JEff, you know how much I love that Delta link from you... what is this one? It says that the visa free entry is 90 days, when it's in fact 6 months, so I wonder about how accurate it is?
The way the Delta link reads, it appears that Nits does not need a visa for the UK, but am I the only one reading it that way? It's worded very poorly.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Jul 15th 2009 at 4:57 am.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:03 am

m,

Maybe I didn't give the best entry to that site, but I'm not seeing the 90 days when I explore the site. I see 6 months for a visitor to the UK, without mention of visa or visa-free.
Visa Information
Some nationalities can get 90 days on entry
doesn't matter....

A better link might have been this one, which is quite clear that N does not need a visa to visit:
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ukvqr?r...=United+States
lol, the BIG RED NO is a pretty strong clue. <g>

But you know that I loathe giving the answer, I prefer to point the questioner in the right direction and let them find the answer themself collecting collateral information along the way.

Regards, JEff
I know, that's what makes it sooooo delicious to weasel it out of you.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:10 am
LaCarteraEnLaCocina

LOL, you guys are the best!
Big red NO seems very conclusive... mmmm... Thanks so much
Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:15 am

m,

That link is for visitors to Argentina, not for visitors to the UK?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by meauxna
Visa Information
Some nationalities can get 90 days on entry
doesn't matter....
Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:30 am

m,

That link is for visitors to Argentina, not for visitors to the UK?

Regards, JEff
Well no wonder!

I'm sticking with Delta.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:38 am
LaCarteraEnLaCocina

No, no, I did it too and it is for argentinians to visit the UK.

"No
You will not normally need a visa to come to the United Kingdom for a short visit"

So, that's the answer I was looking for

Anyway, it's gonna be a while before I can go on a trip to Europe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.