need tips on moving back!

Old Aug 12th 2019, 2:54 am
Just Joined

Ozzy11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need tips on moving back!

I am a citizen! My mom married an American when I was a baby and having have lived here for many years, I am planning on moving back. I have my passport and money saved. But as a younger guy I’m not too sure how to apply for an apartment while being out of the country. Also the only documents I have are my British passport and American ids. What documents are needed to get a job or a place over there? I don’t plan on moving until April so just want to be fully prepared and ready once the time comes! I’m sure I left stuff out but any advice helps and I can give more info through messages. Thanks
Old Aug 13th 2019, 7:44 am
UK spouse visa

movingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nice
Default Re: need tips on moving back!

Originally Posted by Ozzy11
I am a citizen! My mom married an American when I was a baby and having have lived here for many years, I am planning on moving back. I have my passport and money saved. But as a younger guy I’m not too sure how to apply for an apartment while being out of the country. Also the only documents I have are my British passport and American ids. What documents are needed to get a job or a place over there? I don’t plan on moving until April so just want to be fully prepared and ready once the time comes! I’m sure I left stuff out but any advice helps and I can give more info through messages. Thanks
Hi - having moved back last year from America (I was away 10 years) i can comment on the Accommodation part ( I had a job already with the same company in America).
  • I tried to apply for a couple of apartments while i was out of the country but the people i spoke to said i had to actually view them in person in order to take out the lease, you may have more luck with this than me though.
  • I might recommend doing an Airbnb for a couple of weeks when you first move back in the area you want to be, that way you can view apartments in that time in person - you can easily book an Airbnb from where you are now in the USA
  • Once i chose the apartment i wanted they put me through a background check process which is normal i believe, they checked various things like my previous address in USA, they also asked for proof that i was at that address like a water bill or such. They did check with my employer to verify i had the job i said i did and was able to pay the rent.
  • Regarding getting a job - as long as you have a national insurance number (Did you ever get one?)
Hope this helps a little bit
Old Aug 13th 2019, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Good advice above. We were fortunate to have friends to stay with when we first moved back. When our son moved back he stayed with us initially.

As as for finding a job our son didn’t have a NI number But it is easy to apply online for a NI number once back but that doesn’t stop you from applying for jobs. Our sons NI number didn’t arrive until just after he started work.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 10:38 am
Just Joined

Ozzy11 is an unknown quantity at this point

I never got one, we left when I was very young, but I heard after I apply I can immediately start working! The company I work for at the moment is only based in the US, would they just email my employer to ensure I was making enough to pay rent consistently? I do stay with family at the moment but I’m paying them a sum each month. But my name isn’t on the bills. I think my change of address would suffice as proof I lived there, no? Thanks for replying!
Old Aug 13th 2019, 11:01 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Six months rent in advance - most/many landlords require this for someone with no UK credit history.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 11:04 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I never got one, we left when I was very young, but I heard after I apply I can immediately start working! The company I work for at the moment is only based in the US, would they just email my employer to ensure I was making enough to pay rent consistently? I do stay with family at the moment but I’m paying them a sum each month. But my name isn’t on the bills. I think my change of address would suffice as proof I lived there, no? Thanks for replying!
As movingtolakes mentioned, you will find it practically impossible to rent an 'ordinary' apartment while you're still in the US - you'll need to rent a holiday place from a site such as Airbnb, Home Away etc.

The reference checks, credit history etc are done when you apply to rent an apartment on a more permanent basis when you're in the UK.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I never got one, we left when I was very young, but I heard after I apply I can immediately start working!
Correct. You just need your British Passport and as proof that you eligible to work in the UK. You may also want to take screenshots of the NI application process, or they may email you with confirmation that you have applied. Our son applied for jobs and had an interview before he got his NI number.

Below is the site you use to apply for a NI Number. You will be required to attend an interview at a JobsCentre+ and they will will tell you to bring with you. You cannot apply for your number until you are a permanent resident.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

Old Aug 13th 2019, 1:47 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If your mother ever claimed Child Benefit for you then you may already have a NINO. Check here first before applying for a new one: https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number