Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Need some positive stories...

Need some positive stories...

Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need some positive stories...

My husband finally got his CV together and started to register with agencies and apply for jobs yesterday.

I just need some stories and maybe some links from people who did the same and it worked out.

I am not too optimistic, I can't see why someone from the UK would go to the effort of hiring someone far away....I am praying I am proved wrong.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some positive stories...

My husband applied for loads of jobs in Uk, and he (fingers x) has had a really really good response to the point he has had several telephone calls with agencies (that rang us!!)..

Never had that here in Oz!!!

Looks quite positive for jobs back there as well....

Good luck and just be persistant...

Kath
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:10 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Mr GG applied for a job on-line two days ago. Yesterday he got a call from the agency advertising the job - just an informal chat about the position and his experience. Followed up yesterday with an email inviting him to a telephone interview for the role. Fingers crossed that if that doesn't happen today, he can organise it for next week. So good things can happen, despite the distance.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Mr GG applied for a job on-line two days ago. Yesterday he got a call from the agency advertising the job - just an informal chat about the position and his experience. Followed up yesterday with an email inviting him to a telephone interview for the role. Fingers crossed that if that doesn't happen today, he can organise it for next week. So good things can happen, despite the distance.
I'll keep everything crossed for him N.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:27 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'll keep everything crossed for him N.
Thank you, Mrs. It's based in Manchester, so is close enough to Sheffield to make seeing family a regular thing, and it pays rather well. So I have everything crossed.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, it makes me feel better reading it works out for other people.

Just have to be patient, but difficult to when you feel like this is the last chance to get back
Old Jul 8th 2007, 2:42 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

I applied online to a teaching agency and they called me about five minutes later promising me that because of my experience and skills, if they couldn't find me something they would put me on a guaranteed 5 day pay scheme even if I didn't work 5 days. In the past month I have had the prospect of being interviewed by phone by about 5-6 schools. I chose the two schools that ticked most of my boxes, was interviewed and accepted by both and finally accepted the dream school out of the two. I fly out in 7 weeks to start work at this school for a very competitive salary.

All of this would never have happened here. It took me a year to get registered here in Queensland (irony is I am a Queensland trained teacher) and then I was told by agencies to forget my list of wants (eg wanting to teach in primary and wanting to work in Brisbane, wanting to work in a good school etc) and I should do all my own advertising for supply work and introduce myself to the schools in my area and then sit and wait for a few more months. I was even told by the State Dept that I was low on the list of placement priority because they need to place recent graduates first, so I should ring back in a few months when the graduates start dropping out.

It is so refreshing to be treated like a professional again.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 2:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alicecat
I applied online to a teaching agency and they called me about five minutes later promising me that because of my experience and skills, if they couldn't find me something they would put me on a guaranteed 5 day pay scheme even if I didn't work 5 days. In the past month I have had the prospect of being interviewed by phone by about 5-6 schools. I chose the two schools that ticked most of my boxes, was interviewed and accepted by both and finally accepted the dream school out of the two. I fly out in 7 weeks to start work at this school for a very competitive salary.

All of this would never have happened here. It took me a year to get registered here in Queensland (irony is I am a Queensland trained teacher) and then I was told by agencies to forget my list of wants (eg wanting to teach in primary and wanting to work in Brisbane, wanting to work in a good school etc) and I should do all my own advertising for supply work and introduce myself to the schools in my area and then sit and wait for a few more months. I was even told by the State Dept that I was low on the list of placement priority because they need to place recent graduates first, so I should ring back in a few months when the graduates start dropping out.

It is so refreshing to be treated like a professional again.
Well done.

Don't forget to post your moving experiences and keep us up todate with your 'new life' in the UK. All the best.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Finally getting some feedback. An agency contacted my husband on Friday to contact them and he called them earlier and he has an interview with them when we visit later on in the year.

Hopefully things are beginning to happen and I can get on with my life.

I have also read that the IT market is really starting to pick up now.