Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Need some help budgeting for our UK trip!

Need some help budgeting for our UK trip!

Old Jan 30th 2008, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some help budgeting for our UK trip!

Originally Posted by kins
They have those Marks & Spencer Simply Food places at a few service stations now, including Donnington on the M1. Expensive but at least you're getting gorgeous food for your money.

Does anyone else miss M&S food adverts on TV? They used to make my mouth water. Whereas food ads here all make me want to barf.
Yes, that's true was a couple I saw along the M4 too.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kins
Does anyone else miss M&S food adverts on TV? They used to make my mouth water. Whereas food ads here all make me want to barf.
That's cos all the food they pimp on TV is only fit to make you barf.

What I'd give for some healthy fast food...
Old Jan 30th 2008, 4:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Why the hell did someone have to mention M & S food?

Where is the slitting your wrists smilie?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:13 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark

We're decided to hire a car (we get a 25% discount through USAA), which will cost about $500 for the two-week period. However, I can't seem to find any information about how much petrol costs over there, on average. Anyone have any info on this?
Hi Jenney we managed to book and get discount through USAA with your info, thanks.
Just thought I'd better let you know that USAA have told us they will not cover us for insurance on international travel. You may know that already but I just thought they would cover us that will add quite a bit more to budget if that info is correct.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 12:02 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Hi Jenney we managed to book and get discount through USAA with your info, thanks.
Just thought I'd better let you know that USAA have told us they will not cover us for insurance on international travel. You may know that already but I just thought they would cover us that will add quite a bit more to budget if that info is correct.
Good news about your rental. I love USAA, they really know how to treat their members right.

As for the insurance, I thought that I read somewhere -- where is anyone's guess! -- that our insurance covered international car rentals. I can't seem to find that information now, naturally. I sent off an email to USAA asking them about it, so I should hear back from them tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads-up -- I would have been really pissed off if I'd assumed it covered us when it didn't!

~ Jenney
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
If you've paid with a CC you're probably covered for car rental insurance. Check it out with the CC company.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:27 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

If either one of you ladies wants me to check it out with the company I use for o'seas car rentals (they go with who has the best deal) send me a PM and let me know. That is, IF either your insurance does not cover you overseas or if it does and you want to see how good a deal it was.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

So Mark and I are finally going to the UK for a two-week visit in May -- we're so excited! Both sets of parents were very kind and gave us money to use for our trip; without it we wouldn't have been able to go, so we are not taking this trip for granted at all. We want to budget wisely and I'm trying to do as much planning for that now as possible. Luckily we'll be staying with Mark's folks so lodging is free; they live in Bishop's Stortford, about 30 mins northeast of London in Hertfordshire.

We're decided to hire a car (we get a 25% discount through USAA), which will cost about $500 for the two-week period. However, I can't seem to find any information about how much petrol costs over there, on average. Anyone have any info on this?

As for entertainment, we're going to try to limit ourselves as much as possible to free activities -- museums and such (which we really enjoy anyway). We're going to also try to get free tickets to attend a taping of a UK TV or radio show if we can, which we think would be really cool.

I'm having a hard time really figuring out how to budget for the day-to-day stuff -- you know, food, gifts, going to the movies, that kind of thing. The dollar-to-pound exchange rate is so horrendous that we really need to try to keep things at a minimum if at all possible. For those who have been in the UK recently, what kind of general daily budget would you suggest is realistic?

Any other travel tips? We're arriving May 3rd and leaving May 17th.

~ Jenney
not read thru the entire thjread so apologies if this is already in here..
i moved from the Stortford area 10 months ago and know it well.
You can take the overground train from BS to london liverpool street. Its about £14 each rerturn PLUS travel card for the tube in london. This is still cheaper than driving, parking and paying the london congestion charge.

You could also drive to Epping, about 15 mins away and take the tube. Its the last stop on the central line and the closest to you.
Off peak travel card will cost you about £7 and parking is free on the street after 11am. You can pay at the station which costs £3.50 per day to park, but the car park fills up by 8am.

If you want free tickets to some things in london, PM me. I used to run attractions in the city and have connections.... also know some people that run the TV Show audience ticket company and can hook you up...

Happy planning!

Wayne
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:02 pm
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

I grew up in Bath and moved to Hatfield - that's near B-Stortford - (DO NOT GO THERE) for Uni (cough)college(cough).

When I'm back in Bath I spend all my money in the Pub. First thing we do is get hammered in the Crystal Palace (that is the closest pub to the Abbey). So far, you've got good advice on what to see. If you get the time and money, then may I also suggest a rugby game at the rec?

The drive from Stortford to Bath should take about 2.5 hours, but bear in mind that you'll have to drive along the most busy part of the busiest motorway in the entire world (M25, M11 - M4). So, it could take longer. Once you get past Reading on the M4 things will calm down and the drive will be nice.

If you are doing the touristy thing then I would consider taking a few days down the Bath way. There is a lot more to see, like Glastonbury and Wells, and some stones in a circles, and some big old piles of mud etc.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:13 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Need some help budgeting for our UK trip!

Originally Posted by basementwaj

You could also drive to Epping, about 15 mins away and take the tube. Its the last stop on the central line and the closest to you.
Off peak travel card will cost you about £7 and parking is free on the street after 11am. You can pay at the station which costs £3.50 per day to park, but the car park fills up by 8am.

That's our 'local' station back home.....our house is in a village a couple of miles away from Epping (North Weald Bassett) and it used to have the Central Line shuttle service between Epping and Chipping Ongar - with a stop at North Weald - which used to be in operation to take the milk from the farms into central London in the early days of the underground service. They ran the service down and eventually closed the two stations so we had to buy another car to park at the flipping Epping station car park all day (the bus only ran once an hour...:curse.

Some (steam) train enthusiasts now run their own trains between Epping and Ongar:

http://www.eorailway.co.uk/

I remember when that car park at Epping station only charged 20p per day!
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
That's our 'local' station back home.....our house is in a village a couple of miles away from Epping (North Weald Bassett) and it used to have the Central Line shuttle service between Epping and Chipping Ongar - with a stop at North Weald - which used to be in operation to take the milk from the farms into central London in the early days of the underground service. They ran the service down and eventually closed the two stations so we had to buy another car to park at the flipping Epping station car park all day (the bus only ran once an hour...:curse.

Some (steam) train enthusiasts now run their own trains between Epping and Ongar:

http://www.eorailway.co.uk/

I remember when that car park at Epping station only charged 20p per day!
it went from £2 a day to £3.50 a day within 12 months.... bloody rip off!

And the traffic wardens there are evil... i left my car at 11am one day (which is when its ok to leave your car) and returned to find a ticket times at 10.59!!!!!!
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

cruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to all

If you are going to make the trip to Bath (which I also highly recommend), please do yourselves a favour and drive another hour through Bristol over to Chepstow. Chepstow castle is my favourite place in the UK. It's an amazing place built at about the same time as Windsor but it's a ruin. Its spectacular. If you have time, Tintern Abby is not far from their either. Well worth seeing:
Check it out:
http://www.castlewales.com/chepstow.html
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the petrol price -- that's about what I expected.

I need to talk to Mark about taking the car into London and parking there. We might just take the train in instead and get around by the tube. Since the most of our time won't be spent in London (only 2-3 days there at most), we'll have to look into this.

~ Jenney
Bishop's Stortford has excellent service train to the city
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you've paid with a CC you're probably covered for car rental insurance. Check it out with the CC company.
Need to check this carefully as not all cards provide it overseas - Amex does though if you have the card that gets you the auto insurance
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by E17Avenue
Where in the OP did it say anything about being a Munchkin?

A Focus would be a great car if it only had 2 seats. The rear ones.
you have a US mentality to cars and car sizes - the Focus isnt the biggest car in the world but it perfectly acceptable and comfortable - especially as a rental - its not like we are talking about a Ford Ka....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.