Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Need some advice from those already home

Need some advice from those already home

Old May 30th 2007, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

megansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need some advice from those already home

As you know im trying to decide what to do about returning to the UK

My biggest fear & worry is having no money. I will have somewhere to live for the time being but then im on my own

What i want to know is did people have jobs lined up or savings etc or did they need to get benefits. Did anyone return alone without hubs & need to make claims for benefits & housing?

Im going to be the latter so if anyone has done that, what did they go through & what did they get from social. Do they need proof of when you left the UK 1st time or just when you arrived back??

If anyone knows the answers it will begreatfully appreciated

Thanks
Old May 30th 2007, 8:53 pm
I'll have a double double

dozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to all
Default Re: Need some advice from those already home

Originally Posted by megansmummy
As you know im trying to decide what to do about returning to the UK

My biggest fear & worry is having no money. I will have somewhere to live for the time being but then im on my own

What i want to know is did people have jobs lined up or savings etc or did they need to get benefits. Did anyone return alone without hubs & need to make claims for benefits & housing?

Im going to be the latter so if anyone has done that, what did they go through & what did they get from social. Do they need proof of when you left the UK 1st time or just when you arrived back??

If anyone knows the answers it will begreatfully appreciated

Thanks

Probably should check out the websites to see what help you could get, I don't see it being a real problem. Also another suggestion, I shouldn't advise this.. but if you both own a home in Australia perhaps a small loan on the mortgage would help if your husband is going to stay.

Citizens Advice is first port of call..

rgds,

John
Old May 30th 2007, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

megansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dozy_muppet03
Probably should check out the websites to see what help you could get, I don't see it being a real problem. Also another suggestion, I shouldn't advise this.. but if you both own a home in Australia perhaps a small loan on the mortgage would help if your husband is going to stay.

Citizens Advice is first port of call..

rgds,

John

We rent unfortuantely!!

Would have been a good idea though!
Old May 30th 2007, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

You should be eligable for some help..can't do paste and cut or whatever but you can fill in an online form to see at the various gov.uk sites.
Old May 30th 2007, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi megansmummy

Ive been following your plight for a couple of days (not stalking you..honest)

I returned to uk after only 3 months in aus but I did have a terms work to come back to (im a teacher) However, ive noting secured from Sept so might just find myself claiming something, hope not to though.

My biggest hurdle todate is housing, myself and teenage son are staying with my mum in a two bed flat, so everynight my son is on the sofa in the lounge. According to those in the know, we are not overcrowded, ie if there had only been ONE bedroom then we would have been given more priority.

Ive my name down on several housing list but nothing so far, as for private rental thats seems to be very scarce on the ground, up here in Middlesbrough that is. I can rent an apartment for £700 a week or street house in the town centre for £500. However, son is just about to enter last year in school and I would ideally like to be within the vicinity of his school.
Plus what money i do have id like to keep for a deposit, but till I secure a contract, long or short term, im unlikely to get a mortgage. Its a catch 22 situation at the moment and its driving me bonkers.

Not much help im afraid re finanical advice but I think the housing situation is much the same throughout the UK

Good Luck, Im sure something will turn up for you.
Old May 30th 2007, 11:21 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lollyno1
Hi megansmummy

Ive been following your plight for a couple of days (not stalking you..honest)

I returned to uk after only 3 months in aus but I did have a terms work to come back to (im a teacher) However, ive noting secured from Sept so might just find myself claiming something, hope not to though.

My biggest hurdle todate is housing, myself and teenage son are staying with my mum in a two bed flat, so everynight my son is on the sofa in the lounge. According to those in the know, we are not overcrowded, ie if there had only been ONE bedroom then we would have been given more priority.

Ive my name down on several housing list but nothing so far, as for private rental thats seems to be very scarce on the ground, up here in Middlesbrough that is. I can rent an apartment for £700 a week or street house in the town centre for £500. However, son is just about to enter last year in school and I would ideally like to be within the vicinity of his school.
Plus what money i do have id like to keep for a deposit, but till I secure a contract, long or short term, im unlikely to get a mortgage. Its a catch 22 situation at the moment and its driving me bonkers.

Not much help im afraid re finanical advice but I think the housing situation is much the same throughout the UK

Good Luck, Im sure something will turn up for you.

If your Mum was to evict you though, and writes to the benefits office saying she was going to evict you, then perhaps the department may see you as more of a priority.
Old May 31st 2007, 3:14 am
dc1
Forum Regular

dc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the rough

Adding to this are you intitled to full medical cover ?
Old May 31st 2007, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dc1
Adding to this are you intitled to full medical cover ?
I presume so!

As for mum evicting me. I have no probs about somewhere to live for now. My biggest concern is actully money im not sure what i would get!
Old May 31st 2007, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
If your Mum was to evict you though, and writes to the benefits office saying she was going to evict you, then perhaps the department may see you as more of a priority.
My fear of playing the system like this would be that they put me in a homeless hostel

As difficult as it is at times (and believe me its difficult :unsure) i think id rather just wait it out.
Old May 31st 2007, 7:54 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you get something sorted out Jude. It must be a worry.

One question though. I've been out of UK for several years. I never claimed benefits etc and didnt really tell any of the authorities that i was leaving as i didnt have any need to!! I just closed my bank accounts and left. As i did that, how on earth would they know i left the country in the first place? I mean, when i return, cant i just pick up where i left off? For all they know i could have just been living the high life with a rich sugar daddy and not needed to work or claim anything. I wish!!
Old May 31st 2007, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I hope you get something sorted out Jude. It must be a worry.

One question though. I've been out of UK for several years. I never claimed benefits etc and didnt really tell any of the authorities that i was leaving as i didnt have any need to!! I just closed my bank accounts and left. As i did that, how on earth would they know i left the country in the first place? I mean, when i return, cant i just pick up where i left off? For all they know i could have just been living the high life with a rich sugar daddy and not needed to work or claim anything. I wish!!

I dont know the anwser to that one!!! They will have no record of you which could be awkward i.e earnings etc so not sure if you'd get anything or not. Are you loooking to head back too then??

For me i was claiming stuff before i left but only maternity alowance, child tax & child benefit.

Its different this time cos if i go back im going as as single parent so need to claim income support etc but not sure exaactly what else i can have!
Old May 31st 2007, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine has a 4yr old and a disabled husband and they were housed and had disability benefit. Then they were evicted as the rental house was sold. She was about to give birth again and they were offered a B&B room. They declined as were worried about being forgotten about for a few years! Another friend took them in.They had to wait about 6 months for a house, despite being a family of 4 and the council having had plenty of notice. But that could be becuase of the area we are in is appealing to live so we get migrants from other parts of the UK and housing lists are long.
I went on the council housing list when I was 18 as it then was everyones right. I am now 38 and still waiting However, in my limited experience I would say there is help if you are in dire straits, but not if "housed", even if that is only a room at Mums.

p.s try www.direct.gov.uk

Last edited by seasprite; May 31st 2007 at 8:06 am. Reason: add
Old May 31st 2007, 8:08 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megansmummy
I dont know the anwser to that one!!! They will have no record of you which could be awkward i.e earnings etc so not sure if you'd get anything or not. Are you loooking to head back too then??

For me i was claiming stuff before i left but only maternity alowance, child tax & child benefit.

Its different this time cos if i go back im going as as single parent so need to claim income support etc but not sure exaactly what else i can have!

We intend to go back either just before or after christmas.
I was at the stage of life where the kids had left home. Husband had a good job and i had been unwell for quite sometime and didnt work. I was a kept woman
I still remember my NI number in my head. Not sure how this will affect me regarding work.

How long have you been out of the UK? I vaguely remember reading somewhere that you can be away for up to 2yrs before it being a problem. But dont take this as a definite as i may well be wrong.
Old May 31st 2007, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by seasprite
A friend of mine has a 4yr old and a disabled husband and they were housed and had disability benefit. Then they were evicted as the rental house was sold. She was about to give birth again and they were offered a B&B room. They declined as were worried about being forgotten about for a few years! Another friend took them in.They had to wait about 6 months for a house, despite being a family of 4 and the council having had plenty of notice. But that could be becuase of the area we are in is appealing to live so we get migrants from other parts of the UK and housing lists are long.
I went on the council housing list when I was 18 as it then was everyones right. I am now 38 and still waiting However, in my limited experience I would say there is help if you are in dire straits, but not if "housed", even if that is only a room at Mums.

p.s try www.direct.gov.uk
i know im luckier than some (so ive been told lol) there are a few houses but they are in really undesiarble areas, call me a snob but wont go there! Id fear for my life and that of my son. Ive just been on our local area housing site and bid for two houses, but there are 40 people before me so dont hold out much hope. If i could only get a contract for another terms work I might just get a mortgage and that would solve the problem.
Old May 31st 2007, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

well just been in contact with the local job plus centre/social security place near my mums & looks like im entitled to income support, child tax credits & Child benefit. I would also get hosuing & council tax paid so thats good

Certainly one less worry for me for when /if i decide to come back!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.