Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Need a moving company, Eastern Canada to UK. Recommendations? Horror Stories?

Need a moving company, Eastern Canada to UK. Recommendations? Horror Stories?

Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Cheezalot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need a moving company, Eastern Canada to UK. Recommendations? Horror Stories?

My wife and I are moving to the UK (Midlands). Dates not yet certain, but likely sometime in Jan / Feb 08.

We currently live in St. Stephen, NB and are looking for a mover and a pet shipper (1 big dog).

If you have any companies you would recommend, or recommend that I avoid, I would appreciate it.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of
Default Re: Need a moving company, Eastern Canada to UK. Recommendations? Horror Stories?

Originally Posted by Cheezalot
My wife and I are moving to the UK (Midlands). Dates not yet certain, but likely sometime in Jan / Feb 08.

We currently live in St. Stephen, NB and are looking for a mover and a pet shipper (1 big dog).

If you have any companies you would recommend, or recommend that I avoid, I would appreciate it.
I heard AMJ Campbell is good! Haven't used them, but if we move back i will be looking into them.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Need a moving company, Eastern Canada to UK. Recommendations? Horror Stories?

Hi Cheezalot,

Hope you don't mind me asking, but why the move from New Brunswick to the UK. We are actually in the final stages of the Canadian immigration process and New Brunswick is on our shortlist of places to live. All information positive or negative is of value and would appreciate reading your comments.

John
Old Sep 18th 2007, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

polarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Cheezalot

Hi there, we are currently in the process of being packed by The MIGroup for a move back.
We received quotes from AMJ Campbell, Williams and MI. (Although we contact a lot more companies these were the only 3 that bothered to respond). Whilst the MI group were not the cheapest we do feel that perhaps their method of packing is 'apparantly' better. They have boxed everything and then wrapped the boxes with a ultra wrap that is meant to stop development of mildew etc.
They offer 30 days free storage in Canada (although we will not be taking this up.) Our container leaves next week and will arrive in the UK on Oct 14.

As to your dog. You need to check with DEFRA website to find out which airline is approved for the pet passport from the airport from which you will be flying back with. Some airlines only work with certain pet transport companies and therefore you will not have a choice. Zoom use LadyHaye only. The cost for a large dog is 750GBP (well from Calgary anyway).
We had friends that moved from Canada to Australia, they used AMJ Campbell - whilst nothing bad happened to them they were less than pleased with the service they received.
When AMJ came to quote us, they actually used a subcontractor from SEARS, they were pretty professional and very helpful, but I suppose it came down to the level of packing that is used really. The MI Group did move their price when we showed them what Williams had quoted so get a few quotes and use them against each other, it only helps.
Of course getting quotes this early may not be helpful as we were told on numerous occasions that quotes could only be held for up to 6 weeks.
Good luck with your move.