Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Need to move back to UK from Spain....:(

Need to move back to UK from Spain....:(

Old May 21st 2008, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Need to move back to UK from Spain....:(

Hi guys & gals.....

Me & my family had been in Spain for 2 years...and love it !!!!

But hubby had to go self-employed after a year...that hit us hard, his wages went down......social security crippled us...then the company in the UK he worked for lost a big contract & laid Ed off ...

He managed to get a bar job, a lovely bar on an urbanisation..first time for everything, he'd never done it before.

I clean villas & apartments and earn good money in the summer but we go in debt in the winter..my folks helped us out last year...but we don't want to go thru it again...not knowing how to pay the next bill.

We both work reallly hard ...but are finding it increasingly difficult to make ends meet.....

I'd love to stay out here...but theirs no way financially we can....the schools are expensive...books etc....the school runs 4 a day make it impossible to work around it...

So sad.....our friends here are gutted and really upset...but we are remaining positive...we have great friends in the UK..be with our families....parks with GRASS....it's hard though.....

xxxxx
Old May 21st 2008, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Need to move back to UK from Spain....:(

Originally Posted by Mrs eddie
Hi guys & gals.....

Me & my family had been in Spain for 2 years...and love it !!!!

But hubby had to go self-employed after a year...that hit us hard, his wages went down......social security crippled us...then the company in the UK he worked for lost a big contract & laid Ed off ...

He managed to get a bar job, a lovely bar on an urbanisation..first time for everything, he'd never done it before.

I clean villas & apartments and earn good money in the summer but we go in debt in the winter..my folks helped us out last year...but we don't want to go thru it again...not knowing how to pay the next bill.

We both work reallly hard ...but are finding it increasingly difficult to make ends meet.....

I'd love to stay out here...but theirs no way financially we can....the schools are expensive...books etc....the school runs 4 a day make it impossible to work around it...

So sad.....our friends here are gutted and really upset...but we are remaining positive...we have great friends in the UK..be with our families....parks with GRASS....it's hard though.....

xxxxx

Will you be financially ok in UK? what business does your hubby do?

It's a shame things have to be this way for you, especially as you love it so much. Couldn't your hubby try a different job direction rather than move back to UK?
Old May 21st 2008, 12:17 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Will you be financially ok in UK? what business does your hubby do?

It's a shame things have to be this way for you, especially as you love it so much. Couldn't your hubby try a different job direction rather than move back to UK?
Believe me, i have been in spain 10 years and it is bloody hard finding work. Especially if you don´t speak spanish. I have been lucky.
Old May 21st 2008, 12:19 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by CBANDY
Believe me, i have been in spain 10 years and it is bloody hard finding work. Especially if you don´t speak spanish. I have been lucky.
Exactly, don't think i could live in a country that doesn't speak English,must be tough.
Old May 21st 2008, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light

he is an IT consultant...moved out here with him still employed by his boss...so was getting paid in pounds....it was great....with my doing cleaning, we were ok....not rolling in it but doing ok.. Oh he still does work for a few budsinesses and home users but doesnt make enough...

he's learning spanish and is pretty good has been having lessons on and off since being here.....kids are fluent and i'm getting by....

at one point i managed 2 secure a contract working for an english insurance broker but had 2 give it up as ed had to take the bar job...gutted!!!

i think we won't be better off in the uk but at least it will be easier 2 get jobs...and not be financially SCARED!!! We will struggle but it won't be like when we are skint....we will have literally NO money...no overdraft....scarey !!!

Love the lifestyle, the climate, the Spanish....boo hoo !!!
Old May 21st 2008, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

Are you anywhere on the lower CDS, with Gib. so close by, lots of sterling IT jobs there?
Old May 21st 2008, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pugsy
Are you anywhere on the lower CDS, with Gib. so close by, lots of sterling IT jobs there?
No we are North Costa Blanca....1hr from Valencia and !hr 10min from Alicante.....miles away from Gib....

Thanks for advice but Gib is expensive to live......

He was given details of a job in Madrid but can't afford to live there..too far to commute!! Wish we facb places like Gib near here

xxxx
Old May 21st 2008, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

Yeah, I guess that's why most of the (foreign) work force are cross-border workers. Good luck though with your plans though, there's alot to be said for the UK , higher salaries, family, familiarity and less stress. And it's a long life, you can always head back overseas another day should you wish to.
Old May 21st 2008, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pugsy
Yeah, I guess that's why most of the (foreign) work force are cross-border workers. Good luck though with your plans though, there's alot to be said for the UK , higher salaries, family, familiarity and less stress. And it's a long life, you can always head back overseas another day should you wish to.
Just told my best friend, she was upset for me as she knows I love Spain...but chuffed I'd be 40 mins away....like you said there's alot to be said for the UK!!! Best mate & family ...and hopefully higher salaries...fingers crossed !!!

But my sister give me an option I have not yet considered, downsizing!! Only problem is now I'm thinking long term, if we can not afford to stay here til they finish school, should we leave now so their education doesn't suffer???? aaaaarghhhhhh