Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Need medical coverage when I return

Wikiposts

Need medical coverage when I return

Old Aug 11th 2013, 3:14 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need medical coverage when I return

The OP should not worry about "double taxation" as the tax treaty is in place to avoid that.

If he becomes UK resident he will have to pay UK tax on periodic payments from his US pensions (assuming they are not from Government service). If he is not a US citizen there will be no US tax due, if he is a US citizen US tax will be due, but he can use the UK tax paid as a credit on his US taxes. If he is getting SS then that can be paid to him in the UK and it will only be taxable in the UK. If he does not become UK resident he just pays US tax.

I don't really see the health insurance as a problem either. If he becomes resident he will get NHS coverage, if not he will still get free emergency treatment on the NHS and can buy a policy to pay for him to be flown back to the US for Medicare treatment. He should also make sure he continues to pay his medicare premiums while in the UK to avoid the 10% premium increase for each missed year pr payments.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future

PS Just posted this before I saw nun post. I am a dual citizen born in UK. Medicare premium now comes out of my USA social security automatically. I have both USA and UK pensions. I continued to pay into the UK pension system when I originally left UK.

Due to the cost of medical insurance for my age it may be more cost effective to just pay dual income tax as a resident and then be covered under the NHS. I have only a small union pension all in the USA . plus UK and USA social security, tax paid in the USA. Due to the double tax agreement the tax due in the UK should be minimal except for paperwork.

Now I need to find a UK tax preparer.

I hope this helps somebody else. Bob

Last edited by 2bretired; Aug 12th 2013 at 10:30 am.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I don't really see the health insurance as a problem either. If he becomes resident he will get NHS coverage, if not he will still get free emergency treatment on the NHS and can buy a policy to pay for him to be flown back to the US for Medicare treatment. He should also make sure he continues to pay his medicare premiums while in the UK to avoid the 10% premium increase for each missed year pr payments.
What kind of policy would do that?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future

I just read an article from the UK citizen advice that states you are covered if you receive a UK state pension and have lived in the UK for 10 consecutive years in the past. I lived for 29 consecutive years before I left and get a UK state pension. I will do some further research and post as soon as I find out.

Bob ( OP)!
Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:48 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2bretired
PS Just posted this before I saw nun post. I am a dual citizen born in UK. Medicare premium now comes out of my USA social security automatically. I have both USA and UK pensions. I continued to pay into the UK pension system when I originally left UK.

Due to the cost of medical insurance for my age it may be more cost effective to just pay dual income tax as a resident and then be covered under the NHS. I have only a small union pension all in the USA . plus UK and USA social security, tax paid in the USA. Due to the double tax agreement the tax due in the UK should be minimal except for paperwork.

Now I need to find a UK tax preparer.

I hope this helps somebody else. Bob
If you become UK resident your US SS will be only taxable in the UK, but your UK pensions will be both US and UK taxable. The US union pension will also be taxable in both the US and the UK. You have to pay the full UK tax first and then use that as a tax credit of US taxes, so its your US tax that will be minimal....in fact it will be zero if the UK has the higher tax.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Looks like this will become a nightmare. My wife is staying behind in the US so does that mean half my union pension is taxed in the US, as we file a joint US return. Also what about California state tax.

I am beginning to feel like we all work for the company store.

Bob
Old Aug 12th 2013, 11:52 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Looks like this will become a nightmare. My wife is staying behind in the US so does that mean half my union pension is taxed in the US, as we file a joint US return. Also what about California state tax.

I am beginning to feel like we all work for the company store.

Bob
No your entire union pension would be taxable in the UK and the US. CA is a domicile state and until you establish domicile somewhere else you'll still have to pay CA tax. Having a home and spouse resident in CA would probably make that hard to do.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

Thanks nun,
This has now made me rethink this permanent resident thing. If instead, I commute for 3 months at a time and just figure out the possible medical problem. I will have no UK income, live at my parents house, cash from atm. USA bank, so how will they know I am there, I am just a tourists.

Just a thought. Bob
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I just read an article from the UK citizen advice that states you are covered if you receive a UK state pension and have lived in the UK for 10 consecutive years in the past. I lived for 29 consecutive years before I left and get a UK state pension. I will do some further research and post as soon as I find out.

Bob ( OP)!
Be aware that this is one of the categories that there is a proposal to abolish. In exchange, I think the proposal is for NHS access in return for at least seven years of NI contributions. But who knows how it will end up given the general anti-immigrant sentiment in the UK?
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:30 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

Thanks nun,
This has now made me rethink this permanent resident thing. If instead, I commute for 3 months at a time and just figure out the possible medical problem. I will have no UK income, live at my parents house, cash from atm. USA bank, so how will they know I am there, I am just a tourists.

Just a thought. Bob
Avoiding becoming UK resident is probably the easiest thing. If you can qualify for the NHS based on being a UK pensioner, previous residence, or NI payments rather than UK residence that would be useful. But even if you can't you will get NHS emergency treatment and you can buy some travel and repatriation insurance incase you have to come back to the US to use Medicare.

UK immigration will scan your passport when you enter, but I'm not sure how they coordinate with HMRC to monitor how many days you've been in the country. I suspect they don't do that for UK passport holders. Still I'd make sure you stay under the number of days to be classed as resident.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

Nun,
Being a dual national I have 2 passports UK/USA. Depending on the line at Heathrow I pick the shortest, either UK resident, they just look at UK passport and wave you through. Non resident they look at my passport and see born in UK and ask purpose of visit " checking on parents" then they normally just wave me through. As long as I leave and enter USA with a USA passport everybody seems happy. I enter UK with UK passport and sometimes leave with USA. Over the last 30 years there has been no problem except many years ago being stopped by special branch officer who was suspicious because I was not carrying any booze. I explained it was cheaper in the USA so why carry it, he smiled and let me continue.

Bob
Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Nun,
Being a dual national I have 2 passports UK/USA. Depending on the line at Heathrow I pick the shortest, either UK resident, they just look at UK passport and wave you through. Non resident they look at my passport and see born in UK and ask purpose of visit " checking on parents" then they normally just wave me through. As long as I leave and enter USA with a USA passport everybody seems happy. I enter UK with UK passport and sometimes leave with USA. Over the last 30 years there has been no problem except many years ago being stopped by special branch officer who was suspicious because I was not carrying any booze. I explained it was cheaper in the USA so why carry it, he smiled and let me continue.

Bob

I do the same thing, but note that when returning to the USA you must travel on your US passport.

If you don't have a UK bank I'm not sure if they will track your comings and goings but I keep a spreadsheet to keep a track of time spent in the UK to be sure I don't overstay and become resident before I am ready to do this in a couple of years.

Each time I spend a lot of time in the UK, using my UK bank ATM card I get a letter from the bank after returning, apologetically telling me that the IRS require them to keep a track of me and they have seen a lot of ATM activity over a long period and they require me to complete the IRS form stating how many days I have stayed in the UK this year and the previous 3 years, plus projections for the coming 4 years.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:01 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Nun,

Bob
Used to be that they just looked at you passport at Heathrow, but now (last two years maybe..) they actually scan in your British passport. That is, swipe it through if you have an older passport, if you have a new biometric passport you can go through the special line just for biometric passport holders. So I think they are systematically recording British Citizens entering Britain.

But when you leave, I don't think they scan your British passport. When checking in with the airline, I always use just my US passport since I'm traveling to Canada (I fly into Canada then drive across the border to get home.)
Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:05 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad

Each time I spend a lot of time in the UK, using my UK bank ATM card I get a letter from the bank after returning, apologetically telling me that the IRS require them to keep a track of me and they have seen a lot of ATM activity over a long period and they require me to complete the IRS form stating how many days I have stayed in the UK this year and the previous 3 years, plus projections for the coming 4 years.
I've never had this, maybe because I haven't spent enough time in England to trigger it? Just a few weeks every year. Or could it be because my bank is in the Isle of Man not the UK?
Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by robin1234
But when you leave, I don't think they scan your British passport. When checking in with the airline, I always use just my US passport since I'm traveling to Canada (I fly into Canada then drive across the border to get home.)
I'm sure I read somewhere that there is a proposal to add scanning of the passports of outbound travellers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.