Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Need Help! Shipping stuff back to Blighty!

Need Help! Shipping stuff back to Blighty!

Old Jun 19th 2007, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

SlimJimbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Need Help! Shipping stuff back to Blighty!

I've been in Canada for nearly a year and I've realised that this is not the place for me. I miss home like crazy and want to get home as soon as possible. I need help on what companies to use for shipping my stuff back home. I've managed to build up a fair collection of sentimental and priceless junk that I want to shift. Any help would be much appreicated.

Thanks,

Slimjimbo
Old Jun 19th 2007, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Need Help! Shipping stuff back to Blighty!

Originally Posted by SlimJimbo
I've been in Canada for nearly a year and I've realised that this is not the place for me. I miss home like crazy and want to get home as soon as possible. I need help on what companies to use for shipping my stuff back home. I've managed to build up a fair collection of sentimental and priceless junk that I want to shift. Any help would be much appreicated.

Thanks,

Slimjimbo
Don't know whereabouts in Canada you are but I'm in BC and I've been recommended Williams Moving www.williamsmoving.com

Good luck with the move back!
Old Jun 19th 2007, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

englishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishfinger
Don't know whereabouts in Canada you are but I'm in BC and I've been recommended Williams Moving www.williamsmoving.com

Good luck with the move back!
yep,weve got williams coming at 9am tomorrow,to pack our house and fill a 40ft container.I'll let you know !
Old Jun 19th 2007, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishrose
yep,weve got williams coming at 9am tomorrow,to pack our house and fill a 40ft container.I'll let you know !
good luck chaps and bon voyage
Old Jun 19th 2007, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Wow that's come around quickly. I'm green with envy, I so wish that was me. Let us know what you thought of them afterwards.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

englishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
good luck chaps and bon voyage
thankyou,we leave AB on the 28th june then are off to Ontario for a couple of weeks,then back to our roots on july 10th !!
Old Jun 19th 2007, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Wow that's come around quickly. I'm green with envy, I so wish that was me. Let us know what you thought of them afterwards.
will do,i think theyll be here all week,with the amount of stuff we have!
Old Jun 19th 2007, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Chipotle will become famous soon enoughChipotle will become famous soon enough

will do,i think theyll be here all week,with the amount of stuff we have!
we just used Amfreight International and were very pleased with the service. They are based in Mississauga, ON. We went for them based on what we read about their good service in this forum.

they have an option where you load/unload the container (may also pack your own stuff) which is cheaper than them doing it for you. It's a good option to try and reduce costs.

Our agent was Tony Cleary.

Best of luck,

Chipotle
Old Jun 20th 2007, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry forgot to ask roughly how much a 40ft container is to ship - thanks!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all

I'm in the US, not canada, but I posted a similar question the other week and got some good responses:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=gingajoy

Good luck to you, and also to EnglishRose!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gingajoy
I'm in the US, not canada, but I posted a similar question the other week and got some good responses:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=gingajoy

Good luck to you, and also to EnglishRose!
thanks,sitting on a ton of boxes at the mo.....so far so good.
the men are great,filling every gap of box space they can !
i'll let you know the price fishfinger,when i find out
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

hi,Williams were great,very professional.
They actually only took 3 days,2 to pack and 1 to load the 40ft container.We filled 1700cu ft and its costing $9380,to southampton.
When it arrives there,we have organised someone local to pick up the container and bring it back ooop north,costing 860gbp.THere itll be stored for how ever many mths till we get a house .
Scavenged some bedding off my neighbour last night and we all slept on the floor,kids thought it was great......i think theyre used to it and the things we put them thru !
when are you going back to your hubby fishfinger??
did you sell your house?
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

They actually only took 3 days,2 to pack and 1 to load the 40ft container.We filled 1700cu ft and its costing $9380,to southampton.
When it arrives there,we have organised someone local to pick up the container and bring it back ooop north,costing 860gbp.THere itll be stored for how ever many mths till we get a house .
Scavenged some bedding off my neighbour last night and we all slept on the floor,kids thought it was great......i think theyre used to it and the things we put them thru !
did you sell your house?
That's a pretty good price. I'd love to go back to England this summer but we need to sell the house first and still no interest. I don't know why they keep saying BC is having a housing boom because our house isn't selling and neither is anything else around our village. I really miss DH too and so do the kids :-(

Good luck with the move though, I'm glad it all came together for you anyway.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

aww thanks,hope you sell yours soon.
must be hard with OH away.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Snowdrift has a brilliant futureSnowdrift has a brilliant futureSnowdrift has a brilliant futureSnowdrift has a brilliant futureSnowdrift has a brilliant futureSnowdrift has a brilliant future

did you sell your house?
Hi Englishrose,

We are moving back to North Yorkshire from Alberta on 27th July and are just getting shipping quotes.

Did you also get a price for a 20ft from Williams ?

It`s funny but when we were agonising over our decision time dragged on and now we have set plans in place for our return (getting school places, booking flights,etc) time is whizzing by and it`s hard to keep up with everything.

Bon Voyage,

S.