Need Beer Help

Old May 20th 2009, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

BigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really nice
Default Need Beer Help

I have trawled the online beer stores

I am desperate to get some John Smiths over here in the USA.

Anyone know of anywhere that has it online or in the NJ/NY area?

Cheers in advance
Old May 21st 2009, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Need Beer Help

Sorry mate, not seen any John Smiths either. Find Tetleys, Boddingtons, & Bass in plenty of places. I'm always on the look out for Worthingtons but never seen any.
Old May 21st 2009, 3:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigBarry

Cheers in advance
I'm not a million miles away from you...I will ask my husband and get back to you.

Have you tried Gary's? His wine stores are located in Bernardsville (probably the nearest to you and the closest one to me) and Madison. If you want something British ask Gary...he will do his best to get it for you.

http://www.garyswine.com/

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 21st 2009 at 4:09 am.
Old May 21st 2009, 4:00 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

oh have seen John Smiths ct!
Old May 21st 2009, 4:27 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by made of kent
oh have seen John Smiths ct!
WTF....come on ..people missing that rare local brew ....the champion beer ...but John F-in Smiths ...next you'll be asking for links to the Peter Kay commercials ...
There must be a boatload of Brit beers I miss ...but for every one I miss ..there are 10 micro beers brewed here in the USA that more than make up for the loss ...its true I have never found a better beer than Timmy Taylors Landlord serverd fresh and foaming in a far forgotten pub on a moor in deepest Yorkshire (how could you)....but in truth if you asked me to name my own personal top 20 beers ..only about 7 would be from the UK and none from a major brewery ..

There are loads of good beers ..just try them

Last edited by Circus-of-Power; May 21st 2009 at 4:29 am. Reason: drunken spelling
Old May 21st 2009, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
WTF....come on ..people missing that rare local brew ....the champion beer ...but John F-in Smiths ...next you'll be asking for links to the Peter Kay commercials ...
There must be a boatload of Brit beers I miss ...but for every one I miss ..there are 10 micro beers brewed here in the USA that more than make up for the loss ...its true I have never found a better beer than Timmy Taylors Landlord serverd fresh and foaming in a far forgotten pub on a moor in deepest Yorkshire (how could you)....but in truth if you asked me to name my own personal top 20 beers ..only about 7 would be from the UK and none from a major brewery ..

There are loads of good beers ..just try them
What he said, except less than 7 of my top 20 beers would be from the UK and they are only available in about a 20 mile radius of where they are brewed. I like English beers and the style and always enjoy a few pints when I go back, but most of my top, top beers are US brewed.

Funnily enough I think that CAMRA in it's effort to save real ale has actually killed the UK brewing scene and narrowed down the range of products to essentially 3 or 4 different styles with very little difference between beers in each style. The US went completely opposite and brewed whatever the heck they wanted to and experimented out the wazoo and now has a massive craft brewery industry. It does seem that the UK is wising up and are following the US example and there are a lot of mini breweries popping up all over the UK that are doing more experimental and interesting things and hopefully CAMRA with their "if it's not real ale from a cask then it's not beer" attitude won't mess it up. Rant over!
Old May 21st 2009, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Duncan, I'm shocked!

A thread with the word BEER in the title, and you didn't get in until post 6!
Old May 21st 2009, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

I love US craft beers and UK real ale too. I mean seriously love them to the point of obsession
However I know I'm not going to get any of my favourite real ales over here, and even if i did they wouldn't taste any good from the journey.

I still like to have a proper pint of bog-standard bitter occasionally (smooth, creamy, and not chilled). Yeah I know John Smiths, etc is mass produced and all that, but it's the stuff we grew up on. I'm always going to love it and it reminds me of home.

The US craft beers are fantastic. The range is huge, much more than you can get in the UK now and I'm on a mission to drink each and every single one I can find. It's still funny how the american taste still likes them to be cold and fizzy, no matter what the beer type.
Old May 21st 2009, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Duncan, I'm shocked!

A thread with the word BEER in the title, and you didn't get in until post 6!
Been busy!
Old May 21st 2009, 2:45 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I still prefer a pint of Tetley's compared to 99% of the US stuff, microbrews included.

Orangefella is right, no matter what, the yanks like cold and fizzy to a certain degree....... and I'll have a diet coke if that's what I hanker for.
Old May 21st 2009, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigBarry

Cheers in advance
why don't you brew your own. My husband brews most of his own beer these days and I know that in local brew shop here in Austin they have all sorts of UK beers - Brains from Wales, Heather Ale from Scotland, wheat beers, Indian Pale ale. They really are good.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/
Old May 21st 2009, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jjmb
why don't you brew your own. My husband brews most of his own beer these days and I know that in local brew shop here in Austin they have all sorts of UK beers - Brains from Wales, Heather Ale from Scotland, wheat beers, Indian Pale ale. They really are good.

That is the answer! I've been seriously thinking of throwing myself into the world of homebrewing for a few months. There are websites that give you the recipes to replicate virtually any commercial beer.
Old May 21st 2009, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jjmb
They really are good.

They are. A little pricey and sometimes a little rigid in what they will do but they do offer some great stuff.

Other good ones that I've used in the past are Northern Brewer (St Paul MN), Listemann (Cinci OH) and More Beer (Concord, Riverside and Los Altos CA). Northern Brewer is my choice because of the selection and willingness to sell grain by the ounce rather than the lb without adding any premium.
Old May 21st 2009, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Oregon mircobrews destroy all competition.

Anyway, that said, nothing wrong with a nice pint of John Smiths. I have seen it in California before, but that was a while ago. I'll have another look when I'm back next month and see if I can find it.
Old May 21st 2009, 3:46 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

I just get Strongbow and Old Speckled Hen from Whole Foods.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.