Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Need advise about moving back

Wikiposts

Need advise about moving back

Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:37 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advise about moving back

Originally Posted by Bevm
No worse than grits, say I!

What about beans on toast? Or tinned spaghetti on toast?

But then there are there's the chip butty. Ah.

Come to think of it, most of my American friends think it's very odd to put butter on a cheese sandwich.

Bev
I just happen to make the best cheese grits they are like a meal all to them self.The key ingredient is milk or carnation milk if you have it.Amazing!!
Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
Try some wallpaper paste.
Heathen!
Old Nov 21st 2008, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

There is no harm in applying for a few jobs online and seeing how you go - make sure you put on the resume that you are a British citizen, and you are flexible about location.

Anyway assume that you would not want to move until maybe July of next year for the sake of your daughter's education, so take the time to do the research whilst remaining employed in Canada.

Grits = wallpaper paste - good call flashman!
Old Nov 21st 2008, 10:10 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by InWinnipegTooLong
This is very helpful. My daughter is 14, I have begun looking at schools, but not getting a lot of info so far on admissions process. As for SE London, this is where I visited and an area I liked (Bromley), but I am open to other areas. I am still amazed by the size, if you have recommendations for other areas to check out I am open to anything.

The reason I asked you about living in SE London was because there are some really crappy areas there (more in the inner part) and as you say it is a huge place but if you like Bromley and got a good feel for the place go for it.

Regarding school admissions ring the council admissions department to see what their procedure is and ask if they will post you their admissions booklet then you can see what's what.

Keep an eye on any new legislation that may affect you (some changes occurred in April that weren't in the booklet I got so I'm waiting for an updated one). Look at the Education Dept website regularly to check.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 10:28 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

You could also be checking the local news papers for job vacancies too and just be ready to make the move quick if need be.......Good Luck
Old Nov 21st 2008, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

We're in NZ now, having moved from SE London/ Kent borders earlier this year. My son attended a large school in Bromley, and was happy there, but in Bromley generally school places are dependent on where you live, and the good schools are in areas where the house prices are the highest.....as parents try to buy homes in an area where they can be confident of good education for their children.
How old is your daughter? What level of education are you looking for her?
Secondary education can be an eye opener in the UK....my teenagers are amazed at how well behaved their classmates are over here and are enjoying being able to concentrate and learn in their lessons, riot control not being a compulsory part of a teacher's job in NZ.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 3:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Okay here goes, I have been reading posts for a year now, and have at times been completely terrified to move to UK, and other time feels completely sane in doing this. Many posts made me realize I am not crazy for wanting to make this move.

I was born in England, my family came to Canada when I was very young, I returned for the first time in 2005 and again in 2007. I have done hundreds of hours of research on the web about moving there, and now I am ready to take the leap, already got the British passports (mine and daughter's).

So my question is what does the economic downturn and recession predictions really mean to someone moving back to UK to find employment after living in Canada so long. My work experience is mainly in Management and Operations both in banking and Contact centres. The job sites look promising, but what are the real challenges I will face. I hope to live in SE London, and work in London.

Living in UK is an experience that I have missed out on my whole life and one I wish to have before it is to late.
You don't say whether you are a Canadian citizen, but if not, you should get your Canadian citizenship before you leave. Just in case you want to come back.

Your daughter may have a British passport, but is there another parent in the picture with custodial or access rights?
Old Nov 21st 2008, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

InWinnipegTooLong is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
You don't say whether you are a Canadian citizen, but if not, you should get your Canadian citizenship before you leave. Just in case you want to come back.

Your daughter may have a British passport, but is there another parent in the picture with custodial or access rights?
yes we both have dual citizenship, her father is not in picture and has no custodial or access rights. (he is also British by birth)
Old Nov 21st 2008, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

InWinnipegTooLong is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tomsk
We're in NZ now, having moved from SE London/ Kent borders earlier this year. My son attended a large school in Bromley, and was happy there, but in Bromley generally school places are dependent on where you live, and the good schools are in areas where the house prices are the highest.....as parents try to buy homes in an area where they can be confident of good education for their children.
How old is your daughter? What level of education are you looking for her?
Secondary education can be an eye opener in the UK....my teenagers are amazed at how well behaved their classmates are over here and are enjoying being able to concentrate and learn in their lessons, riot control not being a compulsory part of a teacher's job in NZ.
Do most state schools have waiting lists? She is 14. I am hearing that the UK education system is not the be all and end all. I thought the UK was rated right up there. What was the school in Bromley?
Old Nov 21st 2008, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do most state schools have waiting lists? She is 14. I am hearing that the UK education system is not the be all and end all. I thought the UK was rated right up there. What was the school in Bromley?

Different areas in the UK have different educational standards. I am more than happy with the standards in the area I moved from and where I am moving back too. Apparently Scotland has a very good education system (just from what I read).

re waiting lists. My daughter is on a waiting list for admission to 2 schools for next September. There are currently 2 places available at the school I want but that could change by the time I get home. The council's policy is that you can go on a list but until you can show you are living in the county and proof of address you won't be allowed to go to school. But that is just one council - each council has different policies and that is why I say to ring the admissions dept for info.

If you have a school in mind, have you looked at the Ofsted report for the school. It will give you an indicator of staff turnover and general standards but I always think you can't beat looking around a school to get an idea as to whether it suit your child's requirements. Great results don't always mean it is right for your child.