Reload this Page >

Need advise about moving back

Wikiposts

Need advise about moving back

Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

InWinnipegTooLong is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Need advise about moving back

Okay here goes, I have been reading posts for a year now, and have at times been completely terrified to move to UK, and other time feels completely sane in doing this. Many posts made me realize I am not crazy for wanting to make this move.

I was born in England, my family came to Canada when I was very young, I returned for the first time in 2005 and again in 2007. I have done hundreds of hours of research on the web about moving there, and now I am ready to take the leap, already got the British passports (mine and daughter's).

So my question is what does the economic downturn and recession predictions really mean to someone moving back to UK to find employment after living in Canada so long. My work experience is mainly in Management and Operations both in banking and Contact centres. The job sites look promising, but what are the real challenges I will face. I hope to live in SE London, and work in London.

Living in UK is an experience that I have missed out on my whole life and one I wish to have before it is to late.

I would appreciate any advise available.

Thanks
Old Nov 20th 2008, 5:29 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advise about moving back

Originally Posted by InWinnipegTooLong
Okay here goes, I have been reading posts for a year now, and have at times been completely terrified to move to UK, and other time feels completely sane in doing this. Many posts made me realize I am not crazy for wanting to make this move.

I was born in England, my family came to Canada when I was very young, I returned for the first time in 2005 and again in 2007. I have done hundreds of hours of research on the web about moving there, and now I am ready to take the leap, already got the British passports (mine and daughter's).

So my question is what does the economic downturn and recession predictions really mean to someone moving back to UK to find employment after living in Canada so long. My work experience is mainly in Management and Operations both in banking and Contact centres. The job sites look promising, but what are the real challenges I will face. I hope to live in SE London, and work in London.

Living in UK is an experience that I have missed out on my whole life and one I wish to have before it is to late.

Thanks
Will someone please answer this lovely lady's question.!!!

Sorry I can't offer you the info you need but someone more experience will be here shortly.All the best to you
Old Nov 20th 2008, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

I'm in Australia (originally from the UK, been in Oz for almost 3 yrs now) and so the only impressions I'm getting about life in the UK these days are from friends & family and from miscellaneous UK newspapers (which notoriously paint a big "doom & gloom" picture).

From what I've read & heard:

- whilst mortgage rates are low (as the base rate is low), actually GETTING a mortgage is harder than it once was.

- a lot of supposedly "safe" jobs have disappeared (I remember when Banking meant a "job for life" - normally meant high-street banking but investment banking is now no longer "safe" and high-street banking is suffering too - I have rellies who work in the high-street banking business).

- house prices are falling like a stone. Which is great if you want to buy. However, there's that old "hard to get a mortgage" problem I mentioned above.

- those who are managing to sell their houses are often going into rented which is squeezing the rental market a bit.

To be honest, DH & I occasionally talk about going back to the UK. But at the moment, it just doesn't make good financial sense. We recently moved the proceeds from our house sale (sold in 2006) over to Australia, when the exchange rate was something like $2.55 to the £1. The rate back in July (when I was in the UK on holiday) was about $2.10 to the £1 - great for shopping in the UK on an Aussie card LOL. But with the rate how it is now, it's just not worth us going back or sending money back over.

Also, the job sites may look promising but with all this talk of redundancies, you have to wonder how many people are going to apply for each job? A friend of mine in the UK, her DH was made redundant in June-time. He hasn't been able to land *anything* (let alone in his "field"). It's really competitive at the moment, in all job sectors.

I think if I were in your position, I would hold fire for a good 6-12 months - the UK has only recently gone into recession and at the moment there's no real way of knowing how long it will last.

Sorry for being a bit of a doom-bringer! Like I said, this is just based on what I've heard from rellies etc.

T x
Old Nov 20th 2008, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

I agree with TillyG to hold on for 6-12 months before moving to the UK for the reasons she has said. I don't think you will walk into a Management job when you move either. Management and Ops in the sectors you mention tend to be an internal promotion after starting at the bottom. Not all by any means but most. And jobs in the banking sector seem to be few and far between at the moment.

Just out of interest why do you want to move to SE London? London is an expensive place to live and there is more crime there than the countryside or even outer suburbs.

How old is your daughter? If she's school age have you been looking at decent schools in the area you want to move to and asking if there are places (living in catchment doesn't mean an automatic school place) or is she going to go private.

Hope this hasn't sounded doom and gloom. It isn't meant to be but that's the reality at the moment.

The UK is a great place, but it's not without problems that need addressing PDQ. So long as you are aware of this and don't have rose-tints on you'll love it.

Good luck
Old Nov 20th 2008, 8:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Will someone please answer this lovely lady's question.!!!

Sorry I can't offer you the info you need but someone more experience will be here shortly.All the best to you
The OP posted at 3 am UK time...most Brits would be in the land of nod at that time. It's only 9 am now...someone will probably come along after they've eaten their bacon, eggs, sausage and beans.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:59 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The OP posted at 3 am UK time...most Brits would be in the land of nod at that time. It's only 9 am now...someone will probably come along after they've eaten their bacon, eggs, sausage and beans.
I knew someone would be here soon.BTW,I'm still shock by the idea of eating beans for breakfast don't think I'll ever get use to that one
Old Nov 21st 2008, 4:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TillyG
I'm in Australia (originally from the UK, been in Oz for almost 3 yrs now) and so the only impressions I'm getting about life in the UK these days are from friends & family and from miscellaneous UK newspapers (which notoriously paint a big "doom & gloom" picture).

From what I've read & heard:

- whilst mortgage rates are low (as the base rate is low), actually GETTING a mortgage is harder than it once was.

- a lot of supposedly "safe" jobs have disappeared (I remember when Banking meant a "job for life" - normally meant high-street banking but investment banking is now no longer "safe" and high-street banking is suffering too - I have rellies who work in the high-street banking business).

- house prices are falling like a stone. Which is great if you want to buy. However, there's that old "hard to get a mortgage" problem I mentioned above.

- those who are managing to sell their houses are often going into rented which is squeezing the rental market a bit.

To be honest, DH & I occasionally talk about going back to the UK. But at the moment, it just doesn't make good financial sense. We recently moved the proceeds from our house sale (sold in 2006) over to Australia, when the exchange rate was something like $2.55 to the £1. The rate back in July (when I was in the UK on holiday) was about $2.10 to the £1 - great for shopping in the UK on an Aussie card LOL. But with the rate how it is now, it's just not worth us going back or sending money back over.

Also, the job sites may look promising but with all this talk of redundancies, you have to wonder how many people are going to apply for each job? A friend of mine in the UK, her DH was made redundant in June-time. He hasn't been able to land *anything* (let alone in his "field"). It's really competitive at the moment, in all job sectors.

I think if I were in your position, I would hold fire for a good 6-12 months - the UK has only recently gone into recession and at the moment there's no real way of knowing how long it will last.

Sorry for being a bit of a doom-bringer! Like I said, this is just based on what I've heard from rellies etc.

T x
Thanks TillyG, It helps give me better a perspective. It is a big move and I need the input, it is not as easy to just turn around and come back if I can't make it work, so I would rather wait if timing is not right.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 4:07 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone, I realized with the time difference it would take some time.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 4:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crystal23
I agree with TillyG to hold on for 6-12 months before moving to the UK for the reasons she has said. I don't think you will walk into a Management job when you move either. Management and Ops in the sectors you mention tend to be an internal promotion after starting at the bottom. Not all by any means but most. And jobs in the banking sector seem to be few and far between at the moment.

Just out of interest why do you want to move to SE London? London is an expensive place to live and there is more crime there than the countryside or even outer suburbs.

How old is your daughter? If she's school age have you been looking at decent schools in the area you want to move to and asking if there are places (living in catchment doesn't mean an automatic school place) or is she going to go private.

Hope this hasn't sounded doom and gloom. It isn't meant to be but that's the reality at the moment.

The UK is a great place, but it's not without problems that need addressing PDQ. So long as you are aware of this and don't have rose-tints on you'll love it.

Good luck
This is very helpful. My daughter is 14, I have begun looking at schools, but not getting a lot of info so far on admissions process. As for SE London, this is where I visited and an area I liked (Bromley), but I am open to other areas. I am still amazed by the size, if you have recommendations for other areas to check out I am open to anything.

Last edited by InWinnipegTooLong; Nov 21st 2008 at 4:32 am. Reason: to clarify area in SE London
Old Nov 21st 2008, 5:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I knew someone would be here soon.BTW,I'm still shock by the idea of eating beans for breakfast don't think I'll ever get use to that one
I don't eat breakfast so I can't comment...but I love Heinz beans.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 6:27 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

This is very helpful. My daughter is 14, I have begun looking at schools, but not getting a lot of info so far on admissions process. As for SE London, this is where I visited and an area I liked (Bromley), but I am open to other areas. I am still amazed by the size, if you have recommendations for other areas to check out I am open to anything.
my advice would be to get the job first and then look for schools etc based around that.....
Old Nov 21st 2008, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

If I were you, I would seriously reconsider a move over here now or at anytime in the near future. If your background is in Banking & management, you need to be aware that the banks are laying off a heck of a lot of people around the world and here in the UK. The Financials are being hit hard and will continue to be hit hard for AT LEAST the next 12 to 18 months if not longer. You may have a British passport, but I can guarantee you when they do start hiring, the people that are current and longtime residents are going to be the first hired.

The unemployment rate for the coming year over here is projected to be near 10 percent. It's a bleak outlook for the job situation right now.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 7:41 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

No worse than grits, say I!

What about beans on toast? Or tinned spaghetti on toast?

But then there are there's the chip butty. Ah.

Come to think of it, most of my American friends think it's very odd to put butter on a cheese sandwich.

Bev
Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
No worse than grits, say I!

GRITS!..........I would kill for some proper grits and redeye gravy at any time of day or night..........oooooooh and with some nice homemade southern biscuits and country ham.

Now I'm hungry & homesick!
Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Scout;6997402]GRITS!..........I would kill for some proper grits QUOTE]

Try some wallpaper paste.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.