Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

National Insurance Number / Contributions

National Insurance Number / Contributions

Old Oct 13th 2019, 9:36 am
Just Joined

chickenpies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default National Insurance Number / Contributions

So I'm moving back at the end of November and I'm worried about this. I haven't paid my NI contributions for 20 years.

I have my own internet company and I work for myself, so I don't know what impact that will have on tax. I already pay tax where I'm living (S.Korea), so I don't think I'll have to pay tax twice.

But what about NI? I need to rent a place, find schools for my children. Will I need to give my NI number to anyone, and once I do - what will be the consequences?
Old Oct 13th 2019, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: National Insurance Number / Contributions

No compulsion to pay NI when abroad. It could be worth paying if you look ahead to retirement. Making voluntary payments (at the self-emploted rate) can improve future State Retirement Pension
Old Oct 13th 2019, 10:47 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chickenpies View Post

I have my own internet company and I work for myself, so I don't know what impact that will have on tax. I already pay tax where I'm living (S.Korea), so I don't think I'll have to pay tax twice.
Once you're living back in the UK, you'll need to pay tax in the UK. A chat with a tax adviser when you return might be a good idea.
https://www.gov.uk/working-for-yourself

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Oct 13th 2019 at 10:52 am.
Old Oct 15th 2019, 7:29 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that - where can I check how much I owe / how much I need to pay? Is there a link where that's available?
Old Oct 15th 2019, 7:30 am
Just Joined

I'm not sure why I would need to pay tax. I already pay tax. If the income is going into my personal account, how will any one know how much I have / or bring into the country?
Old Oct 15th 2019, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that - where can I check how much I owe / how much I need to pay? Is there a link where that's available?
You don't owe anything, NI payments while out of the country are not mandatory. You can choose to pay them while abroad to build a UK State pension or not.

I'm not sure why I would need to pay tax. I already pay tax. If the income is going into my personal account, how will any one know how much I have / or bring into the country?
I don't quite understand the question.

While living in the UK you pay income tax and if you are working you pay NI contributions. We live in the UK but don't work as we are retired but below the age to receive the State pension. Since we worked overseas for many years we did not pay NI contributions so are not entitled to a full State pension. We are paying voluntary NI contributions to increase our pension when we start to receive it in a couple of years.

You can find out what NI credits you have and what your projected State pension will be.

When you come into the country you can bring as much of your personal money as you want, it is not taxed as it was earned and taxed while you lived overseas.
Old Oct 15th 2019, 9:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You pay income tax wherever you are resident - if you're living permanently in the UK, that's where you'll be taxed, not Korea.

As for your NI contributions, you can check your record here - https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record

But as said above, there was no obligation to pay NI contributions from abroad. A lot of people choose to as it's so cheap and so that they can get a full UK pension, but it's not obligatory so you've done nothing wrong.

HTH.
Old Oct 21st 2019, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

If you are bringing cash or transferring direct into a UK bank account then you will have to declare the source.
If the money is legitimate e.g. bank savings; sale of a house or business then there is no problem but you need to declare to immigration any cash in excess of £10k equivalent with proof.
HTH
Old Oct 30th 2019, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian View Post
If you are bringing cash or transferring direct into a UK bank account then you will have to declare the source.
If the money is legitimate e.g. bank savings; sale of a house or business then there is no problem but you need to declare to immigration any cash in excess of £10k equivalent with proof.
HTH
bringing cash is one thing. but there is no to requirement to inform immigration on fund transfers. and usually unless some anti fraud threshold met there usually isn't any requirement to declare source.
Old Nov 1st 2019, 3:03 am
Just Joined

I'm tranferring around 15k to my barclays account. Do i need to provide any evidence of that? it's just my savings i want to transfer back home
Old Nov 1st 2019, 9:27 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I'm tranferring around 15k to my barclays account. Do i need to provide any evidence of that? it's just my savings i want to transfer back home
No.
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 3:55 am
Just Joined

If I transfer funds on a regular basis, would I have to prove where I got it from?
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 4:07 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If I transfer funds on a regular basis, would I have to prove where I got it from?
If it’s income then you’ll need to declare it to HMRC and pay any tax due.
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I transfer funds many times a year as my pensions and retirement savings are in the USA. Never have to prove where the funds come from, just say so on the Transferwise screen when doing the transfers. If really asked for proof I would show them my UK and US tax returns.
Old Yesterday, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

namsbabe is an unknown quantity at this point

So I'm moving back at the end of November and I'm worried about this. I haven't paid my NI contributions for 20 years.

But what about NI? I need to rent a place, find schools for my children. Will I need to give my NI number to anyone, and once I do - what will be the consequences?
NI is only on income earned from a UK-based employer in the UK itself.

And yes, you have an NI number for life.
This shouldn't get you into trouble - when I relocated I used my NI number as assigned when I turned of age and continued.
There's no statutory compulsion - as far as I know - to pay NI if one is an ex-pat.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.