Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Naff things you will NOT miss when you're back in England

Naff things you will NOT miss when you're back in England

Old Jun 24th 2008, 7:58 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Naff things you will NOT miss when you're back in England

Originally Posted by Hello WA
Some stuff where it appears the poster can't make up their mind about whether they're British or Australian....
Convicts slag the UK off - people on this thread are slagging the big prison land of boredom off. What's the problem? Where's the world-famous, modest, excessively self-deprecating Aussie sense of humour we all know and love? Australians are respected for dishing it out and being able to take anything back with good grace, and never getting upset and hurling silly insults back, so you're being "un-Australian".

Last edited by Eric Hitchmo; Jun 24th 2008 at 8:00 pm. Reason: Typo (again - must be me keyboard)
Old Jun 24th 2008, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Naff things you will NOT miss when you're back in England

I think Hello WA needs to take a chill pill. I agree, very 'un-Australian'.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 1:21 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

OMGoodness! You lot are unbelievable!!! No wonder Britain is one of the most discontented countries in the world. I'm sure when you were all in Britain you moaned about eveything, from the weather to how much immigrants were taking over the UK; I'm almost certain you couldn't wait to get your milk bottle arms and legs out to sun yourselves on the beach, have barbies every weekend and do all the outdoorsy things that were imposible to do in the UK...But of ccourse being the whingiest country in the world, Oz and for that matter anywhere on this planet will nerver be good enough!!! Why should the ozzies say things the way we do? Do we own the universal rights to how things should be said? Britain is such a small country compared to Oz and yet there's a million and one regional accents. Why do the British think that wherever they go everything has to be like in Britain (even though they hate Britain, hence the British being amongst the top 5 in terms of migrating to greener pastures). It's alright for Britons to go to other countries and openly admit they went for a better standard of life, and then whinge when they get there, meanwhile migrants to Britain get called 'scroungers coming over to take our jobs'. Britons can pitch their tent in any part of the world with relative ease, as if the 'British Empire' still existed. Only the British could use somebody else's country as a spillover of their own prison system. Britain was not good enough for you whingers, that's why you went down under in the first place and I'm sure if you lot were given paradise on earth you'd moan that it was too perfect. Well I know of a place that you all may find very suitable, it's a place were you can do anything you want and not have to answer to anybody....Just dial 666 and ask for a Mr Lucifer. ps, I hear the atmosphere there is smokin'!
Why did you feel the need to sign in under a new name?
Old Jun 25th 2008, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

OMGoodness! You lot are unbelievable!!! No wonder Britain is one of the most discontented countries in the world. I'm sure when you were all in Britain you moaned about eveything, from the weather to how much immigrants were taking over the UK; I'm almost certain you couldn't wait to get your milk bottle arms and legs out to sun yourselves on the beach, have barbies every weekend and do all the outdoorsy things that were imposible to do in the UK...But of ccourse being the whingiest country in the world, Oz and for that matter anywhere on this planet will nerver be good enough!!! Why should the ozzies say things the way we do? Do we own the universal rights to how things should be said? Britain is such a small country compared to Oz and yet there's a million and one regional accents. Why do the British think that wherever they go everything has to be like in Britain (even though they hate Britain, hence the British being amongst the top 5 in terms of migrating to greener pastures). It's alright for Britons to go to other countries and openly admit they went for a better standard of life, and then whinge when they get there, meanwhile migrants to Britain get called 'scroungers coming over to take our jobs'. Britons can pitch their tent in any part of the world with relative ease, as if the 'British Empire' still existed. Only the British could use somebody else's country as a spillover of their own prison system. Britain was not good enough for you whingers, that's why you went down under in the first place and I'm sure if you lot were given paradise on earth you'd moan that it was too perfect. Well I know of a place that you all may find very suitable, it's a place were you can do anything you want and not have to answer to anybody....Just dial 666 and ask for a Mr Lucifer. ps, I hear the atmosphere there is smokin'!
Do you know how ironic that post is? Moaning.... about a load of Brits... moaning.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the Brit Expats in Oz are even more whiny than those in the USA.

Though Azzie wine is quite good
Old Jun 25th 2008, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course Australians never complain about things do they?......well they do in Dubai (the work) in the Bahamas (the heat!!) in the U.K (the cold) and we know we have met them there and boy can the winge like the rest of us.......and they love migrants coming into "their" country taking their jobs.....it's human nature to complain we are all guilty of it.......
Old Jun 25th 2008, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by caledonia
does scotland count too!!!??? i will definately not miss;

ozzies treating toddlers swimming like the olympics - "what level is he in?" they ask of my 5 year old - the level one up from the Belgrano ie he is just staying afloat.

being asked to say ........."edinburrrruah", "grrrrrrrrrate", "hull-oh", or anything else in my scottish accent.....I dont ask the asian fella at work to say chicken flied lice etc etc

s**t curries, chippies and chinese take aways
Fantastic - still chuckling to myself now. Its all so true. You have cheered me up after a really sh*t day. Thx
Old Jun 25th 2008, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough

Stupid parking restrictions.
No right turns everywhere.
Green man on crossing when green traffic light doh!!!
Everyone getting up at 5am to do yoga
Old Jun 25th 2008, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Cornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Hello WA;6499726]
....Just dial 666 and ask for a Mr Lucifer. ps, I hear the atmosphere there is smokin'!
[/
QUOTE]

I tried dialling that number but a women with a strange voice told me it had not been recognised. I tried asking her why but she just kept repeating herself!
Do you have the area code?
Old Jun 25th 2008, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

OMGoodness! You lot are unbelievable!!! No wonder Britain is one of the most discontented countries in the world. I'm sure when you were all in Britain you moaned about eveything, from the weather to how much immigrants were taking over the UK; I'm almost certain you couldn't wait to get your milk bottle arms and legs out to sun yourselves on the beach, have barbies every weekend and do all the outdoorsy things that were imposible to do in the UK...'!
Well believe it or not, it is actually possible to have a barbecue in the UK. In fact the 2 best barbecues I've ever had in my life were in England. One was on a lovely sunny day, the other was on a day when it was snowing. Both barbecues were proper charcoal ones, not gas ovens masquerading as barbecues.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 9:41 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backagen
Well believe it or not, it is actually possible to have a barbecue in the UK. In fact the 2 best barbecues I've ever had in my life were in England. One was on a lovely sunny day, the other was on a day when it was snowing. Both barbecues were proper charcoal ones, not gas ovens masquerading as barbecues.
....and you won't find many australians sunning themself on the beach
Old Jun 25th 2008, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Another naff thing (or things) would be the ridiculous things Australia considers "Tourist Attractions". Before I say anything else I must point out that SOME parts of Australia have outstanding tourist attractions, especially the Gold Coast & Sydney.

However in South Australia where I live, about the best they've managed to come up with are various "Big" things, like "The Big Pineapple", "The Big Rocking Horse" etc, which consist of a large wooden or fibre glass statue of the said "Big" object, in the middle of nowhere.

THAT'S supposed to attract tourists???

No wonder they've been asking where the bloody hell everyone is!!!!!

Now that's the very definition of Naff!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Another peculiar South Australian thing is "Tourist Drives" (not sure if the other states also have them or not).

You find these "Tourist Drives" randomly scattered around, again always in the middle of nowhere, and they feature prominent brown tourist signs on the road pointing you in the direction of a "Tourist Drive".

To take the "Tourist Drive" you just follow the signs, and keep on following them, until you see one eventually that says "end of Tourist Drive".

But there's actually NOTHING worth seeing along these tourist drives, you just get led along lots of little roads to nowhere, and end up more or less back where you started! Go figure!

Again, I know where the bloody hell they are, they're somewhere with decent attractions!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 3:27 pm

caledonia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emigratingherberts
Fantastic - still chuckling to myself now. Its all so true. You have cheered me up after a really sh*t day. Thx
nae problems

or should that be..no worries
Old Jun 25th 2008, 11:49 pm

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by backagen
Another peculiar South Australian thing is "Tourist Drives" (not sure if the other states also have them or not).

You find these "Tourist Drives" randomly scattered around, again always in the middle of nowhere, and they feature prominent brown tourist signs on the road pointing you in the direction of a "Tourist Drive".

To take the "Tourist Drive" you just follow the signs, and keep on following them, until you see one eventually that says "end of Tourist Drive".

But there's actually NOTHING worth seeing along these tourist drives, you just get led along lots of little roads to nowhere, and end up more or less back where you started! Go figure!

Again, I know where the bloody hell they are, they're somewhere with decent attractions!
When we went to SA, we did Hahndorf and Strathalbyn or whatever it is called and all the villages round there. One village was famed for the slate streets? And in Victor Harbour we werelooking for a historic quayside - couldn't see it anywhere - it turned out we were STANDING on it!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.