Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Naff things you will NOT miss when you're back in England

Naff things you will NOT miss when you're back in England

Old Jun 24th 2008, 4:32 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Naff things you will NOT miss when you're back in England

Originally Posted by JoolsB
1) the over abundance of white cars (counted 14 on my dog walk today)
2) the way after some adverts they say"sponsered by the Australian government" but really quickly as they are obviously paying for the time
3) pokies in all the (and I use the term loosely) "pubs"
4) they way they have adverts on TV asking you to "dob in a hoon"
5) the way some folk, instead of having a normal gate at the entrance to their open driveway, fit a metal roll-up garage door instead-how naff is that!!
6) The house down the highway from me where someone has put loads of old loos around their front garden and planted flowers in them
7) Tacky old supermarkets with rusty trolleys
8) Sad, soulless pre-fab shopping strips
9) no post delivery on a Saturday
10) Tacky soulless Westfield centres you get lost in instead of high streets

Can you tell me where the house with the loos is? I have a collection of photos of weird ozzie houses - and that one sounds brilliant! I believe I live about 15 minutes away from you up in Bayside!! Have you seen the house on Beach Road that has a swimming pool as a balcony?
Old Jun 24th 2008, 4:36 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Best
Can you tell me where the house with the loos is? I have a collection of photos of weird ozzie houses - and that one sounds brilliant! I believe I live about 15 minutes away from you up in Bayside!! Have you seen the house on Beach Road that has a swimming pool as a balcony?
yes thats gorgeous!

alas cant recall which road loos are on but it's down in chelsea on one of the beach side streets that go off the nepean. As you drive down the road towards the beach it's on the left i think
Old Jun 24th 2008, 4:40 am

yes thats gorgeous!

alas cant recall which road loos are on but it's down in chelsea on one of the beach side streets that go off the nepean. As you drive down the road towards the beach it's on the left i think
So if I'm driving from Parkdale end - it would be a street on my RHS - would it be before that long strip of shops in Chelsea - or after?

Have you seen the dentists which has a fence made out of Teeth? Not real ones of course!!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 4:49 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

So if I'm driving from Parkdale end - it would be a street on my RHS - would it be before that long strip of shops in Chelsea - or after?

Have you seen the dentists which has a fence made out of Teeth? Not real ones of course!!
Yes on your right and if memory serves me after the shops.

Where is the tooth fence?
Old Jun 24th 2008, 4:52 am

Yes on your right and if memory serves me after the shops.

Where is the tooth fence?

I can't remember exactly but I know I always see it on the way back from Red Hill market - it could Aspendale or thereabouts......
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:31 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backagen
Here's some of the Naff things I will definately not miss about Australia!

- When you go into a shop, or especially in fast food restaurants, and they greet you with "Who WAS next?", or "DID you want that in a meal?" etc. It seems to be a universal thing that many young Australians don't understand the difference between past, present and future tenses. I told you the education here was rubbish!

- The fact that they call yoghurt "Yo-gat"

- The fact that they call crisps "Chips"

- The fact that you can't get a decent meal in a pub

- The horrible experience of trying to get in your car on a very hot day after it's been parked in a shopping centre carpark for a while, and it's so hot you literally can't touch the steering wheel!

- Having to see men in their 40s, 50s, and 60s who go around without a shirt on on sunny days, exposing their enourmous, ugly, beer bellies!

- Rubbish TV

- Australian comedy shows, and worse still, Australian stand up comedians who always laugh at their own jokes, even though they're extremely obvious and NOT funny!
FFS ....no wonder we get the name whinging POMS !

I reckon you need to go to Bunning......

Where you can buy some wood

build a bridge

and get over it !!!

What does it matter how they say things......we are in another country ...its not the UK !
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:48 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Issie

build a bridge

and get over it !!!

What does it matter how they say things......we are in another country ...its not the UK !
are you providing pizza and popcorn with that post bird
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave_Was

Having to decide which set of parents we will visit that year. My parents are in the UK and my wife's in India.

Having to use all my holidays to visit parents. I get 10 days a year.
Why cant they visit you?
Old Jun 24th 2008, 6:07 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

build a bridge

and get over it !!!

I agree, it doesn't matter how they say things, as it gives us all a good laugh at their expense.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:24 pm

caledonia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by backagen
Here's some of the Naff things I will definately not miss about Australia!

- When you go into a shop, or especially in fast food restaurants, and they greet you with "Who WAS next?", or "DID you want that in a meal?" etc. It seems to be a universal thing that many young Australians don't understand the difference between past, present and future tenses. I told you the education here was rubbish!

- The fact that they call yoghurt "Yo-gat"

- The fact that they call crisps "Chips"

- The fact that you can't get a decent meal in a pub

- The horrible experience of trying to get in your car on a very hot day after it's been parked in a shopping centre carpark for a while, and it's so hot you literally can't touch the steering wheel!

- Having to see men in their 40s, 50s, and 60s who go around without a shirt on on sunny days, exposing their enourmous, ugly, beer bellies!

- Rubbish TV

- Australian comedy shows, and worse still, Australian stand up comedians who always laugh at their own jokes, even though they're extremely obvious and NOT funny!
does scotland count too!!!??? i will definately not miss;

ozzies treating toddlers swimming like the olympics - "what level is he in?" they ask of my 5 year old - the level one up from the Belgrano ie he is just staying afloat.

same 40s, 50s, and 60s who go around without a shirt on on sunny days, exposing their enourmous, ugly, beer bellies - driving bright orange/lime green "supercars" with go faster cars and naff private number plates

my wife moaning that the shops are s**t, have nothing in them, have nothing that fits (all the "normal" sizes are sold out), are 5 years behind in fashion terms and then getting her bag searched on the way out when there is nothing worth nicking anyway

being walking distance from anything that is not nothing, if that makes sense - what I mean is, you can go for a walk, for fitness, just to enjoy fresh air etc, but you cant actually walk to anywhere you would want to go ie the pub, a coffee shop, a restaurant - at least where we live anyway

smug brits who love it here and go on and on about how great australia is but still live like its britain

the fact that the ozzies cannot comprehend that you might invite guests round and actually feed them and supply them with drinks. ditto being invited round for something to eat and being asked to "bring a plate"

being asked to say ........."edinburrrruah", "grrrrrrrrrate", "hull-oh", or anything else in my scottish accent.....I dont ask the asian fella at work to say chicken flied lice etc etc

s**t curries, chippies and chinese take aways
Old Jun 24th 2008, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

-

- Crap driving, actually had someone in a ute (and what is that anyway........just call it a pick up) lean out window and shout "Blaaady slowcoach" because I was doing 60 kph - the speed limit - as I'm fed up with parking/speeding/turning right fines.
Sorry to say that you'll get plenty of bad drivers in the UK too. I really noticed it on my most recent visit.

Especially on the motorways, you can be doing 70mph and you'll nearly alway get some moron right up behind you flashing their lights and honking their horn, then when they get tired of doing that they change lanes suddenly and without indicating, and swerve right back into your lane, about a centimetre in front of you.

I often wish I was a traffic cop in an unmarked car, must be one of the easiest jobs in the world 'cos there's no shortage of unbelievably bad, downright dangerous drivers out there, here and in England, sadly!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caledonia
the fact that the ozzies cannot comprehend that you might invite guests round and actually feed them and supply them with drinks. ditto being invited round for something to eat and being asked to "bring a plate"
Oh yes, that's one of the naffest things about this place for sure. I just cannot get my head around it!

Another similar one is at work if it's your birthday, in Australia it is often YOU that's expected to buy everyone else a cake, for some weird reason, when it's YOUR birthday!!! Can you figure that out? I can't!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Why cant they visit you?
My wife's parents can't afford it and wont accept us paying.

My father can't take the long flights anymore and my mothers loathe to travel without him.

I wish that they would come out more but no matter what I try it hasn't worked.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 6:23 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Naff things you will NOT miss when you're back in England

Never understood that to be honest. English people listen to the convicts banging on about how fabulous Aus is, so they're encouraged to move there, and then when they see how crap it is, they rightly complain. Then they get called "whinging poms". It's not on. They should be called, "poms who tell it like it is".

Last edited by Eric Hitchmo; Jun 24th 2008 at 6:24 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Jun 24th 2008, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Hello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really nice

OMGoodness! You lot are unbelievable!!! No wonder Britain is one of the most discontented countries in the world. I'm sure when you were all in Britain you moaned about eveything, from the weather to how much immigrants were taking over the UK; I'm almost certain you couldn't wait to get your milk bottle arms and legs out to sun yourselves on the beach, have barbies every weekend and do all the outdoorsy things that were imposible to do in the UK...But of ccourse being the whingiest country in the world, Oz and for that matter anywhere on this planet will nerver be good enough!!! Why should the ozzies say things the way we do? Do we own the universal rights to how things should be said? Britain is such a small country compared to Oz and yet there's a million and one regional accents. Why do the British think that wherever they go everything has to be like in Britain (even though they hate Britain, hence the British being amongst the top 5 in terms of migrating to greener pastures). It's alright for Britons to go to other countries and openly admit they went for a better standard of life, and then whinge when they get there, meanwhile migrants to Britain get called 'scroungers coming over to take our jobs'. Britons can pitch their tent in any part of the world with relative ease, as if the 'British Empire' still existed. Only the British could use somebody else's country as a spillover of their own prison system. Britain was not good enough for you whingers, that's why you went down under in the first place and I'm sure if you lot were given paradise on earth you'd moan that it was too perfect. Well I know of a place that you all may find very suitable, it's a place were you can do anything you want and not have to answer to anybody....Just dial 666 and ask for a Mr Lucifer. ps, I hear the atmosphere there is smokin'!

Last edited by Hello WA; Jun 24th 2008 at 7:39 pm. Reason: typo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.