British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   My upcoming trip to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/my-upcoming-trip-uk-835851/)

fulwood Jun 7th 2014 10:27 am

My upcoming trip to UK

I leave on June 11th for UK. I land in Dublin and need to make my way to Preston. It seems wealth of information out there. Does anyone know which is cheaper - ferry or plane? i tried Expedia for flights and got ridiculous prices. I have decided to spend time in Dublin on my way back to US. Also will my MP3 player or laptop work overseas? Also if I get sick do I need travel insurance which I've never purchased before. Any info is appreciated. I arrive in Dublin at 10:40am but know customs will take a while so need something around 3-4 timeframe. Thank you..

quiltman Jun 7th 2014 10:38 am

Re: My upcoming trip to UK

Irish Sea ferries are one of the most expensive per mile in the world! you might get a foot passenger rate at a reasonable price, but end up in Holyhead from where you will have to get at least two trains to get to Preston - just look on google Maps!

look on the Ryanair or easyjet or Aer Lingus sites for better prices. Aim for Manchester then you can get a train down to Preston - about 30 minutes I think. The biggest problem is that you are leaving it near departure date and prices tend to go up the nearer you are

so long as your power supplies are 110 - 230v 50/60Hz - which most of them are ,then yes your MP3 and laptop will work quite happily.

Definitely need Travel Insurance! The irish Hospital board will want paying to treat you and in UK then you'll get A&E treatment free ,but they MAY ask you if you are a non citizen and have insurance. If not then they will still treat you and then bill you - in practice they don't seem to follow up if you don't pay!

quiltman Jun 7th 2014 10:53 am

Just checked. Only ryanair & aer lingus do Dublin to Manchester.

Leaving afternoon of 11th June - put return one week later just for example - Ryanair quote 110 euro PLUS all their stupid add ons for baggage etc.
Aer lingus quote 160 euro but do allow one checked in bag.

Irish Ferries, foot passenger, quote 80 euro for same dates but then you have to get from Holyhead to Preston.www.thetrainline.com quote 51UK pounds and it takes 4 hours with one change.

Now, this took me all of 10 minutes - try doing a bit more research yourself to determine times etc.

Enjoy your trip!

robin1234 Jun 7th 2014 12:45 pm

Whether or not you need travel insurance depends on your health insurance situation at home. Many (most?) insurance plans cover you fully for travel abroad. I have never paid for travel insurance, in twenty five years of traveling regularly to Britain and Europe. About a year ago, I did call my insurer just to confirm. The person I talked to advised me to carry a couple of claim forms. And I always carry a health insurance card in my wallet.

spouse of scouse Jun 7th 2014 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 11291953)
Whether or not you need travel insurance depends on your health insurance situation at home. Many (most?) insurance plans cover you fully for travel abroad. I have never paid for travel insurance, in twenty five years of traveling regularly to Britain and Europe. About a year ago, I did call my insurer just to confirm. The person I talked to advised me to carry a couple of claim forms. And I always carry a health insurance card in my wallet.

Wow, you're lucky if your 'ordinary' private health insurance covers overseas travel - is that a US thing?

We always take out travel insurance, our private health insurer doesn't cover a cracker it you're out of Australia (although we do get a 20% discount on travel insurance).

Travel insurance for a typical 6 - 8 week trip through UK and Europe is around $700, from memory. Great inclusions though, covers you for absolutely everything including all medical and dental, repatriation, delayed or cancelled flights, luggage, accommodation etc. Must admit though have only claimed once, in Vietnam, when a motorbike pillion passenger ripped my bag out of my hand at an intersection. The interaction with the local Police over the next week was far more traumatic than the incident :eek:

Mallory Jun 7th 2014 2:21 pm

We are going to France and Switzerland for three weeks later this month. We used insuremytrip.com. We paid $130 each for three weeks, basic insurance, but we are both over age 65. I wouldn't travel without it. Basic covers other things too.

You just need a plug/adaptor thingy for your laptop. If you need a hairdryer, buy a cheap one at Boots.

Have a nice time on your trip! :)

Shirtback Jun 7th 2014 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11291972)
Wow, you're lucky if your 'ordinary' private health insurance covers overseas travel - is that a US thing?

When I had health insurance through work (in Canada), we were covered for overseas trips of less than 90 days. And it was very efficient & comprehensive.

S

spouse of scouse Jun 7th 2014 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Shirtback (Post 11292052)
When I had health insurance through work (in Canada), we were covered for overseas trips of less than 90 days. And it was very efficient & comprehensive.

S

I'm living in the wrong country :frown: :)

Mallory Jun 7th 2014 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11292090)

I thought that Aus and UK had a reciprocal agreement with health insurance for trips? Correct me if I'm wrong - thought I had read it on here. :confused:

spouse of scouse Jun 7th 2014 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 11292094)
I thought that Aus and UK had a reciprocal agreement with health insurance for trips? Correct me if I'm wrong - thought I had read it on here. :confused:

You're right Melanie, there is a reciprocal agreement but that's very limited and only covers initial emergency treatment in A&E.

Sorry - Mallory!

Mallory Jun 7th 2014 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11292096)
You're right Melanie, there is a reciprocal agreement but that's very limited and only covers initial emergency treatment in A&E.

Sorry - Mallory!

Okay thanks! The important part about having medical insurance for travel is the repatriation if you are too ill to travel on a normal flight. Not something a lot of people think about.

spouse of scouse Jun 7th 2014 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 11292102)
Okay thanks! The important part about having medical insurance for travel is the repatriation if you are too ill to travel on a normal flight. Not something a lot of people think about.

Couldn't agree more. It's not uncommon to hear of people having bills in the tens, sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars if they've needed a lot of hospital treatment and then need a repat flight to their home country. Not a risk I'm prepared to take, I'd spend all the trip worrying!

Pistolpete2 Jun 7th 2014 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 11291832)
I leave on June 11th for UK. I land in Dublin and need to make my way to Preston. It seems wealth of information out there. Does anyone know which is cheaper - ferry or plane? i tried Expedia for flights and got ridiculous prices. I have decided to spend time in Dublin on my way back to US. Also will my MP3 player or laptop work overseas? Also if I get sick do I need travel insurance which I've never purchased before. Any info is appreciated. I arrive in Dublin at 10:40am but know customs will take a while so need something around 3-4 timeframe. Thank you..

Looks like Eurolines bus service operates from Dublin to Liverpool using the Holyhead route and the fares are lower than the ferry only service :confused:.

https://eurolines.buseireann.ie/

Feedback anybody?

Shirtback Jun 7th 2014 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11292090)

:p I no longer have the aforementioned insurance :(. It was great while it lasted, however.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11292103)
Couldn't agree more. It's not uncommon to hear of people having bills in the tens, sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars if they've needed a lot of hospital treatment and then need a repat flight to their home country. Not a risk I'm prepared to take, I'd spend all the trip worrying!

:goodpost: Too right.

S

fulwood Jun 7th 2014 5:51 pm

pistolpete - so they go to holyhead first then do stops all along the way? The fare is pretty reasonable about $70 US .