Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

My Christmas message to the nation

My Christmas message to the nation

Old Dec 18th 2007, 10:49 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default My Christmas message to the nation

Well if the Queen can do it..................here goes...........

Well as I sit here its 2 degrees outside the sun is shining and I thank God that my sheer determination and a bit of luck and fate has resulted in us being back in the UK.

We've been back 16 months now (after 2 years in Perth) and I finally feel settled and normal after 4/5 years of the turbulence of emigration, homesickness, rows with the OH (he wanted to stay in Oz - I didn't), disruption and more arguments as we returned back to the UK and finally sorting our lives out back here.

I think the main thing I have learned is that where you are happiest is not very much to do with the place at all but it is more to do with you as a person and your thoughts, feelings and emotions, your relationships with friends and family and whether you have a sense of belonging - it's been said many times before, but sun, beach and barbies are all meaningless if it doesn't feel right inside. Never underestimate you gut feel and never let anyone tell you that you are mad for wanting to go back to the UK!!

And to all out of you out there really wanting to come home I send wishes and luck to you that 2008 will be your year to return to the UK for good.

As for me when I was in my darkest times in Perth I never thought I would get back to the UK - so many barriers - no money, OH did not want to return, kids were settled, but my will and determination to return cut through all this stuff and lucky for me although we had some difficult times we now find ourselves back home and finally settled.

Anyway I hope you all have a great Chsritmas wherever you are - I'm really gonna enjoy mine just as it's meant to be...........with family, friends, Tescos mince pies, Twiglets, the Radio Times TV guide, cold crappy weather and with the contentment that comes with finally being home, settled and happy!

Last edited by pommybird; Dec 18th 2007 at 10:53 am.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 11:54 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My Christmas message to the nation

Hey, you knock spots off the Queens blurb any day!!!

Have yourself a very merry Christmas and a wonderfully happy and healthy 2008

xxxxxxxx
Old Dec 18th 2007, 12:26 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Hey, you knock spots off the Queens blurb any day!!!

Have yourself a very merry Christmas and a wonderfully happy and healthy 2008

xxxxxxxx
Hey right back at ya T! Hope 2008 brings you the peace of a final decisionxx
Old Dec 18th 2007, 12:30 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird

Well as I sit here its 2 degrees outside the sun is shining and I thank God that my sheer determination and a bit of luck and fate has resulted in us being back in the UK.

We've been back 16 months now (after 2 years in Perth) and I finally feel settled and normal after 4/5 years of the turbulence of emigration, homesickness, rows with the OH (he wanted to stay in Oz - I didn't), disruption and more arguments as we returned back to the UK and finally sorting our lives out back here.

I think the main thing I have learned is that where you are happiest is not very much to do with the place at all but it is more to do with you as a person and your thoughts, feelings and emotions, your relationships with friends and family and whether you have a sense of belonging - it's been said many times before, but sun, beach and barbies are all meaningless if it doesn't feel right inside. Never underestimate you gut feel and never let anyone tell you that you are mad for wanting to go back to the UK!!

And to all out of you out there really wanting to come home I send wishes and luck to you that 2008 will be your year to return to the UK for good.

As for me when I was in my darkest times in Perth I never thought I would get back to the UK - so many barriers - no money, OH did not want to return, kids were settled, but my will and determination to return cut through all this stuff and lucky for me although we had some difficult times we now find ourselves back home and finally settled.

Anyway I hope you all have a great Chsritmas wherever you are - I'm really gonna enjoy mine just as it's meant to be...........with family, friends, Tescos mince pies, Twiglets, the Radio Times TV guide, cold crappy weather and with the contentment that comes with finally being home, settled and happy!
Great post - have a fab Christmas
Old Dec 18th 2007, 12:40 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Have some karma for a great post.

Merry christmas to you and everyone on the forum.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

What a great post

Have a great christmas and new year.

Sandra x
Old Dec 18th 2007, 11:47 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

It's wonderful to read such an upbeat message! Thank you!

Enjoy the holidays!

Sarah
Old Dec 19th 2007, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

happy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=pommybird;5680366]

Ah, lovely, I'm almost there with you if I close my eyes!!

Our children, 4 and 2 are very excited abt Christmas so going to make the most of it here in Melbourne, though I long to be home in the UK, can't wait for next year, to see my son in his School Nativity Play and be back to our 'old wonderful took for granted lives' with our families. Have a great Christmas!! annx
Old Dec 19th 2007, 2:28 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

with family, friends, Tescos mince pies, Twiglets, the Radio Times TV guide, cold crappy weather !
Oh shut up woman, rubbing it in

And I bet the Queens doesn't eat Twiglets and Tesco's mincs pies! See, she's obviously posher!
Old Dec 19th 2007, 3:58 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I always believed in my signature

I look forward to next year. Happy Holidays
Old Dec 19th 2007, 12:49 pm
Grace and gratitude

Thanks for all your lovely posts, PM's and karma messages on the back of my post.

Well I went to my little boy's school nativity play this morning (he is in reception and is 4) so I'm feeling even more Christmassy - it was the traditional story (none of this modern spin nonsense!) - one little boy burst into tears 'cos his ears fell off (he was a donkey), a small sheep was drop kicked off the stage by one particularly naughty boy and the baby Jesus was dropped on the floor more times than I care to mention but it was absolutely wonderful - got my daughter's nativity tomorrow - can't wait!

Anyway I'm now overflowing with Christmas peace and joy so I'm off to deliver some Chrimbo cards to the neighrbours, bye for now!!
Old Dec 19th 2007, 8:53 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Merry Christmas Pommybird.

I love reading your posts. I am so pleased you are happy back where you belong. Hopefully i WILL have next christmas with the grandchildren.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear ! I concur....
Merry Christmas to all, I am actually so excited about this one. (contented sigh). We went to the 4 year olds nativity last week...he was Joseph (probably because I am vice chairman!),he refused to "dress up", sat next to Mary and sulked until it was time to sing and then they all regaled us with funny Christmas songs. So, so sweet, I seemed to have something in my eye..
It is bracingly cold here and guess what? We still go outside and play footie and go walking. And all enjoy it. So there!
And no I don't care about crowds because I shop online...and how. So much choice, so spoilt. Just about to highlight the Christmas tv guide and check we have enough tins of Quality Street...Bring it on!
Old Dec 19th 2007, 9:33 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seasprite
Great to hear ! I concur....
Merry Christmas to all, I am actually so excited about this one. (contented sigh). We went to the 4 year olds nativity last week...he was Joseph (probably because I am vice chairman!),he refused to "dress up", sat next to Mary and sulked until it was time to sing and then they all regaled us with funny Christmas songs. So, so sweet, I seemed to have something in my eye..
It is bracingly cold here and guess what? We still go outside and play footie and go walking. And all enjoy it. So there!
And no I don't care about crowds because I shop online...and how. So much choice, so spoilt. Just about to highlight the Christmas tv guide and check we have enough tins of Quality Street...Bring it on!
Hi Seasprite

Yes, the online shopping experience was a real nice surprise when i was back in blighty recently. So much more advanced than Aus. I was really impressed that i could go into my favourite stores and if they didnt have my size or the right colour i could just go home and order it from their website!! What a pleasure it was to see they listed almost all their stock online too!
I am missing that already having only been back 3 weeks. I dont uinderstand why Aussie companies have not caught onto this as much as UK. With lots of rural and remote customers out there you would think they'd put their entire shop online!

Last edited by Fleaflyfloflum; Dec 19th 2007 at 9:35 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 12:20 pm
Grace and gratitude

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Merry Christmas Pommybird.

I love reading your posts. I am so pleased you are happy back where you belong. Hopefully i WILL have next christmas with the grandchildren.
Hi Flea - I was so sorry to read all about the crappy time you and the family had back in the UK - I'm sorry that you had to go back to Sydney but remember everything always happens for a reason - have a lovely Christmas and I hope 2008 sees you and your hubby home and settled back in the UK for goodxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.