Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Multi currency account advice

Multi currency account advice

Old Sep 19th 2022, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

japettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Multi currency account advice

Facts: I'm a UK citizen living in US but moving back to the UK before the end of 2022. I currently receive a small monthly retirement deposit (from teaching) into a local US bank. I will qualify for my US social security in about 7 years.
Question: I have used (Transfer)Wise for money transfers before and see that they have a multi-currency account. Does anyone know if I can use this as my deposit bank for the retirement money (and later on.social security)? Can I then easily withdraw as pounds sterling and/or transfer to my UK lloyds account that I still have? Or is there a better method for receiving US funds in the UK? Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 19th 2022, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Multi currency account advice

I suggest you ask the institution paying the private pension if they will pay to Wise. I'm not sure anyone else will know as you haven't named the institution, and different institutions may have different rules. However, people may be able to advise how they are transferring their US social security payments to a UK bank account.

If you can't have the pension paid directly to Wise, other options include maintaining the US bank account to collect the pension then transfer it (via Wise?), opening a Lloyds International USD account (or another bank; there may be a minimum balance requirement) or having the payment paid directly to your Lloyds GBP account. Transfer fees and $/£ conversion rates will vary depending on the option.
Old Sep 19th 2022, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Wise multi currency account and it works great. I have it linked to my US brokerage account for transferring dividends, withdrawals from IRA etc. You will get a US bank routing number and a personal account number just like any regular bank checking account. In fact it is a US bank that Wise uses. (Can’t remember which one off the top of my head). Once the money is in the Wise account I use the Wise app to transfer the money to my UK checking account and it happens in seconds, you watch it in real time.
Old Sep 19th 2022, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

japettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tdrinker
I suggest you ask the institution paying the private pension if they will pay to Wise. I'm not sure anyone else will know as you haven't named the institution, and different institutions may have different rules. However, people may be able to advise how they are transferring their US social security payments to a UK bank account.

If you can't have the pension paid directly to Wise, other options include maintaining the US bank account to collect the pension then transfer it (via Wise?), opening a Lloyds International USD account (or another bank; there may be a minimum balance requirement) or having the payment paid directly to your Lloyds GBP account. Transfer fees and $/£ conversion rates will vary depending on the option.
Thanks for your advice. I was hoping to close my US accounts so will continue to explore the Wise option. Lloyds international is another good option as I have banked with them for 50+ years!
Old Sep 19th 2022, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Good to hear about your positive arrangement with Wise. It sounds like it will suit my situation as well. I could make the change for my retirement deposit ahead of my move to make sure it works out OK. I have some anticipated future US bills that will require transferring some UK money to the US; can I use a Wise account in either direction?
Old Sep 19th 2022, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by japettee
Good to hear about your positive arrangement with Wise. It sounds like it will suit my situation as well. I could make the change for my retirement deposit ahead of my move to make sure it works out OK. I have some anticipated future US bills that will require transferring some UK money to the US; can I use a Wise account in either direction?
Yes, you can use Wise to transfer in either direction.
Old Sep 19th 2022, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I have a Wise multi currency account and it works great. I have it linked to my US brokerage account for transferring dividends, withdrawals from IRA etc. You will get a US bank routing number and a personal account number just like any regular bank checking account. In fact it is a US bank that Wise uses. (Can’t remember which one off the top of my head). Once the money is in the Wise account I use the Wise app to transfer the money to my UK checking account and it happens in seconds, you watch it in real time.
In the US, Wise uses Community Federal Savings Bank (CFSB) and Evolve Bank and Trust (EVOLVE).

https://www.exiap.com/reviews/how-do...B%20currencies.
Old Sep 19th 2022, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your help. I just opened a Wise account!