Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving from USA back to UK

Wikiposts

Moving from USA back to UK

Old Sep 28th 2007, 9:29 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from USA back to UK

Originally Posted by Elvira
Given your history of moves, one has to wonder whether you wouldn't start pining for the UK again if you do ever move back to the US. I'd give it a fair shot and let the old girl live out her days where you are now - from your description she at least seems happy!
Yes, I wonder too, which is why I'm not making any sudden decisions.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE.

Your UK Spouse Visa is very easy and quick to get in the US. It is 20 times easier than the UK to US visa crap. Trust me.......went thru it all both ways.

A financial word of warning on the Spouse Visa though. DO NOT get it too soon! It will cost you about £ 400 pounds extra down the road if you do. Let me explain. When you get your Spouse Visa you think......gee I have plenty of time to travel to the UK on it so you wait 2 or 3 months to leave because you have planned well ahead of time and gotten your visa early. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! As soon as you get your visa the clock starts ticking two years down the line. Basically you need to travel to the UK within 28 days of the visa's issuance or you will pay about 2 years later when it's time to apply for your ILR(Indefiniate Leave to Remain) in the UK.

In our situation, I got my Spouse Visa in August 2005, we moved to the UK in November 2005.....My Spouse Visa was due to expire in August of 2007 (this summer)......so I began filling out the paperwork for my ILR. .....At the last minute I discovered I could not apply for ILR because I have not resided in the UK for 2 years until November of this year so I would have to apply for a FLR (Further Leave to Remain) that lasts two years, rather than the ILR that lasts 10 years. Now I don't have to wait the full 2 years to apply for ILR, I can still do that in November, but it has cost me an extra £400 pounds because of the way I timed my Spouse Visa. Had I gotten my Spouse Visa in November 2007 rather than August 2007, I could have applied for the ILR 28 days before the Visa was due to expire rather than the FLR and then the ILR.

It's a tricky little dance you need to do to avoid the extra Visa Fees.....I just wish I had known about this 2 years ago. For more reading on it check out my post a couple of months ago at the UK-Yankee Forum...a link is right below:

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=35706.0

Last edited by Scout; Sep 29th 2007 at 7:50 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

maore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by acmcgrae
Hi Everybody,

I want to start off by thanking each of you for sharing your plans/outcomes here! It has really helped my Husband and I to read thru a lot of the posts to get informational links, etc..

Our situation is that my husband holds a British Passport and I am from the US (American Passport). We are looking to move to England as my husband has been here in the States with me for over 7 years and during our recent trip to visit his folks we came to the conclusion that we would both be much happier in the UK!

I am starting the process for our two cats so we know we can not leave for at least 7 months until that is all complete so it will be anytime between 7 months and a year until we can actually go.

I have been looking online on how I would go about getting my settlement Visa and was wondering if I could just get some clarification. From what I have read once I fill out the forms online/print them off/mail them off, etc.. it will take on average 5 days for an answer! Is this right?? When my husband moved here and we applied for his Green card it took two and a half years!! Can they seriously come to a decision in only 5 days?

If that is the case does anybody know how long it is good for? I do not want to apply for it too soon if there is a time frame in which I must enter the UK and I do not want to apply for it too late in case something happens and it does take much longer.

So.. now that I have confused everybody enough I'll leave it at just those questions. I am a bit of a detailed oriented person so I am sure you guys will see me around a lot asking questions and so on.

Thanks!
you are going to Love the british way of handling visa applicants =>my fiancee had her entry clearance within 2 months .I have been waiting for an answer for my visa from the US embassy of london for 9 months .

http://www.britainusa.com/visas/arti...=41000&a=41033
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 8:55 am
Just Joined

acmcgrae is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband and I have been thinking...

Our original plan was for the two of us go over together in May/June 2008. But after reading some of the responses it made us worry that my Visa would be denied if we both had letters of promised employment rather then one of us actually having a job.

So we are looking into him going ahead over in March 2008 and then me following in May/June 2008. But that raises some questions for us and maybe somebody can help with the answers?

1) If he goes over first, it says in my Visa application that I must produce his Passport how am I go send that in if he uses it to go first? Would he have to send it something like FedEx to me? Sounds dangerous...

2) When I go to apply for my Visa he will only have around 2 months of work in the UK, is that going to really help? When we go to supply paychecks there will only be like 4 of them..

3) Since we have been married for 7 1/2 years (living in the US the entire time) how much support documentation do I really need to send? I have read other posts to show E-Mails, Phone Records, etc.. Do you think I will need all of that?

Sorry for the crazy questions but I think I am more confused then I was when I started!! : ) We would like to stay together the entire time but I do not want to risk my Visa being declined if it is as simple as him going over three months before me.

~ Christine
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 8:57 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Our original plan was for the two of us go over together in May/June 2008. But after reading some of the responses it made us worry that my Visa would be denied if we both had letters of promised employment rather then one of us actually having a job.

So we are looking into him going ahead over in March 2008 and then me following in May/June 2008. But that raises some questions for us and maybe somebody can help with the answers?

1) If he goes over first, it says in my Visa application that I must produce his Passport how am I go send that in if he uses it to go first? Would he have to send it something like FedEx to me? Sounds dangerous...

2) When I go to apply for my Visa he will only have around 2 months of work in the UK, is that going to really help? When we go to supply paychecks there will only be like 4 of them..

3) Since we have been married for 7 1/2 years (living in the US the entire time) how much support documentation do I really need to send? I have read other posts to show E-Mails, Phone Records, etc.. Do you think I will need all of that?

Sorry for the crazy questions but I think I am more confused then I was when I started!! : ) We would like to stay together the entire time but I do not want to risk my Visa being declined if it is as simple as him going over three months before me.

~ Christine

hiya check out britvic, she's pretty much upto date with all this.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 8:59 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

~ Christine
Have you checked out the visa forum at uk-yankee.com? They're more likely to know the ins and outs bringing a foreign spouse to the UK than us Expats!
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Look.........I have been thru the process both ways.Trust me. Moving to the UK and getting a Spouse Visa could not be any easier. You are stressing because of the process you probably went thru with the BCIS in the States.

For a UK Spouse Visa, it's pretty basic. You have to prove you can support yourselves when you are over here in the UK. Do you have any assets? Such as 401K, Bank Accounts, a house you will be selling? If one of you already has a job assured then YES it will help. Unless you are coming back penniless I don't think you are going to have any problems.

Check this page out for more info: http://www.britainusa.com/visas/arti...=41000&a=41033

You can even check out the application ohn-line (just don't complete it to see what is needed).

When we moved to the UK in 2005, we had only been married a little over 2 years and the VISA application process was so easy compared to the US Visa process that I almost wept with relief at how simple and easy it was. Now getting the dog over here.............THAT was difficult.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

acmcgrae is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I am starting to think that getting my two cats over is going to be the hardest part! But I am a very controlling person and hate not knowing what is expected around every turn. I tend to over analyze and over read things which is what I think I am doing with this move!

I ran thru the Settlement Visa online and was curious... If my husband and I move to the UK at the same time would he still be considered my Sponsor? Because it then asked for 'Relationships' and I have to put all of his information in again and it seemed a bit redundant.

Also, when it asked for other living family members who are they wanting me to include? Grandmother/Grandfather, Mother/Father, Aunt/Uncle, Sister/Brother? Are they only wanting immediate members such as Mother/Father/Sister?

I think I am driving myself crazy. They are going to roll me out to the crazy farm soon.

Scout I read your post about taking your dog! Seeing as how I am dealing with Vets around me in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that know nothing about this it really helped me! We have our appointment this Saturday 10/6 to get their microchip and rabies shot!

Oh and to answer your question.. I work for the City of Arlington (Texas) and they have a retirement fund instead of putting money into Social Security. When I quit in May/June I will have around $6,000 that I can withdraw from if needed. We do not have a 401k, a house or anything like that. We will have two cars that will be sold but will probably only make around a $2,000 profit in total, if that. We are estimating that by the time we leave we will have around $5,000 in our bank savings account (not including the car profit or the savings thru my work). I know I will have a job once we get to the UK, a friend has promissed me a position with his company and he will be more then happy to write a letter giving salary/job offer details. My husband's mother also owns a Pub and has said that he can work there until he finds something with higher pay, etc..

Last edited by acmcgrae; Oct 2nd 2007 at 12:40 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everybody,

I want to start off by thanking each of you for sharing your plans/outcomes here! It has really helped my Husband and I to read thru a lot of the posts to get informational links, etc..

Our situation is that my husband holds a British Passport and I am from the US (American Passport). We are looking to move to England as my husband has been here in the States with me for over 7 years and during our recent trip to visit his folks we came to the conclusion that we would both be much happier in the UK!

I am starting the process for our two cats so we know we can not leave for at least 7 months until that is all complete so it will be anytime between 7 months and a year until we can actually go.

I have been looking online on how I would go about getting my settlement Visa and was wondering if I could just get some clarification. From what I have read once I fill out the forms online/print them off/mail them off, etc.. it will take on average 5 days for an answer! Is this right?? When my husband moved here and we applied for his Green card it took two and a half years!! Can they seriously come to a decision in only 5 days?

If that is the case does anybody know how long it is good for? I do not want to apply for it too soon if there is a time frame in which I must enter the UK and I do not want to apply for it too late in case something happens and it does take much longer.

So.. now that I have confused everybody enough I'll leave it at just those questions. I am a bit of a detailed oriented person so I am sure you guys will see me around a lot asking questions and so on.

Thanks!
Can I suggest the website www.uk-yankee.com? There is another website (American Expats) but you have to pay to be a member and get information. UK-Yankee is free and will give you a host of information you will definitely need. The best of luck on your new adventure!