Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving US to UK: Bringing Computers and a Television

Moving US to UK: Bringing Computers and a Television

Old Jun 22nd 2017, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving US to UK: Bringing Computers and a Television

We moved from Houston to England in January this year and the quotes we got for a full service removal, 20' container went as high as $11k from Allied. We went with United Van Lines for $4,500 and that included all the packing and unpacking, removal of all boxes etc. Insurance was on top of that. We were extremely satisfied and only hope they are as competitive again when our son moves in September.

We did bring a number of electrical devices including a 50" TV which needed a step down transformer but works just fine with HDMI connector to the cable box.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

PimRoad is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Teenyexpat
Can I ask where you got the quotes? I have had 4 so far ranging up to $11k!!!!! Starting to wonder if I should bother....
I signed up to expat.com and got a raft of quotes from various shippers. Some of them pestered me a lot: the higher the quote, the more the pestering, it seemed. All quotes 'door-to-door' as follows:

International Movers Network: $3000 (I will be strongly following up with this one).

Blue Horizon: 20 foot container door-to-door = $3800 + full packing service $1150 + documentation $95. Turns out not too bad if you do your own packing.

Western Express International: 20 foot container $7600.

When I asked about storage for a couple of months while we buy a house in York, one of these said $450 a month for that. Bear in mind the typical self storage firms in Maryland charge about $150 per month. You can get storage in the UK at: York 39 pounds per week; Liverpool 32 pounds per week; Blackburn area 18 to 25 pounds per week.

I'm trying to stipulate shipment to Hull, to minimize the road trip (25 miles to York), but may have to settle for Liverpool (75 miles to York). Hull is 20 pounds per week for storage.

When I came back to the US in 2006 I shipped through Atlantic International Movers, based in the UK, and it was 1890 pounds back then. I'll check with them to see if they do the reverse direction.

After packing our own stuff, I'm inclined to let the movers take the stuff to Baltimore from this side, but then pick it up from Liverpool or Hull in a 15 foot Luton van, on the other side. Then I can choose a place to do the storage, and then take from the storage in ad-hoc quantities.

Cheers,

Stephen N.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 8:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
.... We did bring a number of electrical devices including a 50" TV which needed a step down transformer .....
What type of TV is that needs a transformer?
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What type of TV is that needs a transformer?
A JVC, LCD, not a Smart TV, and it was just as well I checked the voltage requirements.

Our Laz-y-Boys are dual voltage but the TV is not.