Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving from the US to the UK

Moving from the US to the UK

Old Jul 11th 2006, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

whiterabbit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from the US to the UK

[QUOTE=Cape Blue]I felt that I had chosen the wrong word when I said "delusional" earlier - you have now proved it might be correct - "asylum seekers get priority" a priceless bit of Daily Mail propaganda if ever there was any.

People are prioritised by NEED when it comes to social housing, why on earth would you think that all those PC local authority types are sitting there just hoping for a few more asylum seekers to come along so they don't have to help the local Brits?

Do you really believe that in each local authority, individuals have gotten together and said "we don't want whitey to get anything so lets make sure we always help the foreigners first" or do you think it's a government dictum sent down in memo from Downing Street entitled "help any and all immigrants before British people"

Still no crazy policies?

Your attempts to wind me up will not work mate. I have given an honest account of how I saw things over in the UK. I don't think you really know and have read the Guardian too much, If you seriously believe half the crap you say then you will feel right at home back in Camden or Hackney. You can fix the world and fight the evil right wing propoganda that the UK is so famous for ...............
Old Jul 11th 2006, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hayley
any news on the Uk bank accounts?
It may be easiest to get an online one with Citybank or similar, they have dual currency accounts and offshore ones. That way you can open it here and there at the same time.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 10:30 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=whiterabbit]
Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I felt that I had chosen the wrong word when I said "delusional" earlier - you have now proved it might be correct - "asylum seekers get priority" a priceless bit of Daily Mail propaganda if ever there was any.

People are prioritised by NEED when it comes to social housing, why on earth would you think that all those PC local authority types are sitting there just hoping for a few more asylum seekers to come along so they don't have to help the local Brits?

Do you really believe that in each local authority, individuals have gotten together and said "we don't want whitey to get anything so lets make sure we always help the foreigners first" or do you think it's a government dictum sent down in memo from Downing Street entitled "help any and all immigrants before British people"

Still no crazy policies?

Your attempts to wind me up will not work mate. I have given an honest account of how I saw things over in the UK. I don't think you really know and have read the Guardian too much, If you seriously believe half the crap you say then you will feel right at home back in Camden or Hackney. You can fix the world and fight the evil right wing propoganda that the UK is so famous for ...............
I am not trying to wind you up, just not prepared to let your comments go unanswered.

You stated that white people don't get social housing and that asylum seekers get priority. I said that the level of need is what sets priority and if not how do you think each local authority manages its "give stuff to immigrants first policy".

You said it is PC gone mad to try and protect girl babies from abortion based upon their sex and parents religion, I disagreed.

You said that there were PC crazy policies but don't seem to actually know of any.

You don't seem to want to actually analyse what you are saying and just want to spout the usual Daily Mail rubbish - come on, just how do local authorities manage their anti-British policy on housing?

Last edited by Cape Blue; Jul 11th 2006 at 10:50 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Cape Blue][QUOTE=whiterabbit]

I am not trying to wind you up, just not prepared to let your comments go unanswered.

No I do not agree, you are trying to twist words and make me appear racist or similar because I don't swallow and agree with the PC bulls**t. I posted on this forum to give my honest experience of life in the UK whereas I think you want to put some political point across by any means. You are obviously trying to save the world.

You stated that white people don't get social housing and that asylum seekers get priority. I said that the level of need is what sets priority and if not how do you think each local authority manages its "give stuff to immigrants first policy".

You are just playing with words the fact is asylum seekers will always be defined as the most in "need" and always take priority over everyone else sure as hell over a UK or US family. This is even though they have broken the law by being in the UK in the first place. Go look at the points system council houses are awarded on.

You said it is PC gone mad to try and protect girl babies from abortion based upon their sex and parents religion, I disagreed.

It is, why the hell should I in a christian country not be allowed to know the sex of my unborn child because it offends another religion? My tax is paying for the NHS in the first place.

You said that there were PC crazy policies but don't seem to actually know of any.

I could find hundreds, I actually worked for Ken Livingston for a bit. How about Camden paying for 20 gay couples per year to fly to Amsterdam to experience gay life without predudice? Is this a good way to spend money?

You don't seem to want to actually analyse what you are saying and just want to spout the usual Daily Mail rubbish - come on, just how do local authorities manage their anti-British policy on housing?

Truth is I honestly cannot be bothered to argue with you at length about this. Live in your dreamland until the UK benefits system breaks under the next recession. It won't wash with me because I have actually just lived in London and paid taxes etc. I have seen the corruption in local government. Maybe other people may agree with you thats fine its their choice.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 1:50 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whiterabbit
You are just playing with words the fact is asylum seekers will always be defined as the most in "need" and always take priority over everyone else sure as hell over a UK or US family. This is even though they have broken the law by being in the UK in the first place. Go look at the points system council houses are awarded on.

Really? All asylum seekers are just illegal immigrants are they?
AFAIK asylum seekers are only illegal if their case has been rejected and they do not leave the country. I would have thought with all the current worlwide unrest there must be some genuine asylum seekers with a valid reason for asylum.

Finally FFS please learn how to quote previous posters, it's getting very tiresome reading the same sentences over and over again, not seperated from your own comments.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 2:00 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Finally FFS please learn how to quote previous posters, it's getting very tiresome reading the same sentences over and over again, not seperated from your own comments.

There's only one thing worse than a troll: an incompetent troll.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 3:22 am
Just Joined

Jesus I have a life to live and this site is not for me. You try and be helpfull and post a few hometruths about the UK and the PC brigade doesn't like it. Wait until any of you move back as you will hear a whole lot worse on a regular basis. Must of hit a few nerves I guess.

No smart replies as I have already resigned from the site.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 3:32 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus I have a life to live and this site is not for me. You try and be helpfull and post a few hometruths about the UK and the PC brigade doesn't like it. Wait until any of you move back as you will hear a whole lot worse on a regular basis. Must of hit a few nerves I guess.

Are you planning to PM everyone on this thread before you go?

No smart replies - I don't give a toss.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 3:47 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Geordie George]Are you planning to PM everyone on this thread before you go?

No just you.

I actually have some respect for the other posters on this thread even though I dont agree with some comments.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 5:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Any chance of getting this thread back on topic? Quit the mud-slinging and get back to the constructive comments, please.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Wow, it amazing what happens to a thread in just a few hours of being away!!

Hayley,

I think you have made your mind up about coming back to the UK and to be honest I am glad that I made the move as I know I would still be back in the States wondering how my life would be here. So with this in mind you should try and set some timelines and put feelers out such as sending your CV to prospective employers in the area you would like to be living in the UK. I was lucky enough at the time to be offered a contract before I left which really served me well. NOTE: It was only because of this contract that I was able to a. open a bank account and b. secure a lease on a property. Without it I would have been in trouble and the only way to secure a lease otherwise would be to stump up 6 months worth of rent plus your deposit. Try and open a UK bank account before you leave such as the other posters have suggested.

As for council housing, there is such a shortage caused by firstly the "right to buy" years and secondly by an influx of immigrants. I don't think it's worth bothering arguing if they are illegal or legal immigrants. They are here and because they come to the UK usually without a great deal of money or roof over their heads they go straight to the top for housing. I myself have been told that it will take me years to ever get to the top of the list even though I am a single parent because I am considered to be in adequate housing even though rental prices are sometimes higher than a mortgage payment! Councils now encourage people to rent privatley because they do not have enough houses for everyone that needs them. Infact there is a shortage of homes full stop hence the huge increase in prices. At the end of the day it's all economics - supply and demand.

As for my case and your earlier question as to moving somewhere cheaper if I were to do this I would be isolating myself as the only friends and family I have are in the London/Bromley and Cambridge areas. I too grew up on a council estate and I think for those of us that have you always want better for your own children. At the end of the day I don't want to feel as though I am struggling and in the UK it feels as though it is a constant struggle for me. Plus the fact that my children miss their Dad and I need to factor in how much of an impact that will make on them growing up. I don't want them to resent me because they only get too see their Dad once a year.

I'm sure it will be different for you and both you and your husband are UKc's and will probably find it easier to settle back.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 9:18 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

no need to resign whiterabbit just because I (and a couple of others) don't agree with your opinions - there are many on the board that do agree with you, some perhaps even further to the right - "we should treat foreigners like second class citizens" and "the British are similar to 1930s Jews in putting their heads in the sand" are two memorable quotes from other members. Just because I find your views on this issue repugnant, it does not mean that you don't have plenty of helpful advice to provide to others.

Even on this thread you have a couple of posters who support some of your stance. I agree that you can hear a whole lot worse in the UK - doesn't mean it is right or, more importantly, has any substance to back it up - you never quite managed to tell me how the mechanics of this policy of Councils to prioritise asylum seekers over white people actually works.

Not sure about hitting nerves - you are the one who has stomped off in a huff.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with all this. Half of Georgia live in Metro Atlanta and they are generally Democrat. Its only recently the state became Republican and historically have always been Democrat (think Jimmy Carter).
Atlanta has the second largest gay comunity after San Francisco.
Apparently they also now have the highest full time English population as a percentage of people!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe because of all the British businesses here? There certainly were tons of St George cross flying from cars during the world cup.

The South was always a democrat-voting area from the post-reconstruction era all the way up to the Civil Rights initiatives of the 1960s, which for obvious reasons shifted general voting behaviour in that part of the world to the Republican party.

And Hayley, house prices are out of hand in the UK, for sure, but they are getting that way all over the West. Australian prices are going nuts, as are many in Western Canada. House prices must only be a part of your reasoning when deciding to move. With research, you could get a decent home in a good part of the country for approximately £150,000.

I appreciate this figure is going to hurt if you are used to US real estate prices, but it's as good as it gets in the UK. Having said that, look at it from the other end - when you have paid off your UK mortgage, and with a little help from the outrageous European property inflation, you will have a five trillion dollars' worth of equity.

Last edited by Tableland; Jul 12th 2006 at 10:26 am.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 2:45 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Wow there has been some heated debates on here while I was sleeping! Anyone heard mardy bum by the Arctic monkeys? "there's a very pleasant side of you, a side I much prefer, it's one that laughs and jokes around... but it's right hard to remember that when you are, argumentative, and you've got the face on"

So I went to my mum's last night- she has been here for 2 years and she is moving back to the UK in a year. Prior to that she lived in the states for 2 years when I was little. We had an interesting conversation about the English friends she made when she lived here before and she told me that there were some who were settled within a matter of months, even had an American twang to their accents and seemed really happy and there were some who just didn't feel settled. fast forward 20 odd years and the same ones who were dissatisfied are still unhappy here but now too much time has gone by for them to risk returning. Just thought I'd share. I am so v. British that I don't think 10 or 20 years would cure me!

And Hayley, house prices are out of hand in the UK, for sure, but they are getting that way all over the West. Australian prices are going nuts, as are many in Western Canada. House prices must only be a part of your reasoning when deciding to move. With research, you could get a decent home in a good part of the country for approximately £150,000.

I appreciate this figure is going to hurt if you are used to US real estate prices, but it's as good as it gets in the UK. Having said that, look at it from the other end - when you have paid off your UK mortgage, and with a little help from the outrageous European property inflation, you will have a five trillion dollars' worth of equity.
Spokane is a bit of a unknown city but it is v. pretty and my house has jumped up 80k in a year- seems like a great time to cash in. I'm actually looking at houses for about 120k or less in my home town (there are lots) so this should be a little easier for me (no stamp duty yea!) Just have to get used to the fact that three bedrooms actually means 2 plus one the size of my US fridge. :scared:
Old Jul 12th 2006, 3:09 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

As for my case and your earlier question as to moving somewhere cheaper if I were to do this I would be isolating myself as the only friends and family I have are in the London/Bromley and Cambridge areas. I too grew up on a council estate and I think for those of us that have you always want better for your own children. At the end of the day I don't want to feel as though I am struggling and in the UK it feels as though it is a constant struggle for me. Plus the fact that my children miss their Dad and I need to factor in how much of an impact that will make on them growing up. I don't want them to resent me because they only get too see their Dad once a year.
I'm sorry you've found it so tough- I just thought moving to a cheaper area would be preferable to a different country as you could still see your friends. Do you have alot of US friends you will be near?

My mum moved me at 3 and my sister at 7 to the UK leaving my dad in the US and we gave her a terrible time with guilt but now that I'm older and have had a chance to know my dad and the life I would have had here (i.e there's no way I'd have gone to UNI and got the job I have now) I don't hold anything against her and am really glad she raised my sister and I in the UK. I just have to be around my US cousins to see how they turned out and that helps!

Unfortunately me sister- although she is really glad as am I to have been raised in the UK was a little older when she experienced the move back to the UK and so has now chosen to live in the US permanently (she moved here at 25). My mum is very sad that she will have one child in the Uk with her and one in the US. If you can help your children feel settled before they get much older that may help. It is an awful feeling to have one foot in each country as my sister and I were raised.

How do they feel about the move back to the US (apart from seeing their dad?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.