Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving from the US to the UK

Moving from the US to the UK

Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from the US to the UK

Originally Posted by gardnma
(IMHO) As long as there are social programs there will be people who try to exist soley on them. For the working stiffs - there really needs to be more "thanks for the effort - and here's a little back" from the US Govt, other than "see how free you are: you don't need that from us" mentality.
Hmmm, no happy medium is there?
Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:39 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whiterabbit
An English or American white kid would stand out like a sore thumb nor their family qualify for a house for that matter. There is a massive shortage of council housing and asylum seekers will get priority.
I felt that I had chosen the wrong word when I said "delusional" earlier - you have now proved it might be correct - "asylum seekers get priority" a priceless bit of Daily Mail propaganda if ever there was any.

People are prioritised by NEED when it comes to social housing, why on earth would you think that all those PC local authority types are sitting there just hoping for a few more asylum seekers to come along so they don't have to help the local Brits?

Do you really believe that in each local authority, individuals have gotten together and said "we don't want whitey to get anything so lets make sure we always help the foreigners first" or do you think it's a government dictum sent down in memo from Downing Street entitled "help any and all immigrants before British people"

Still no crazy policies?
Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

whiterabbit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hayley
Well I just think this thread has really helped me feel better.
I seem to be firmly on the side of the British way of life so it must mean I'm really wanting to go back- thanks for everyones input though.

Any help on practical things like getting the move going etc would really help. That's why I started this post. I think we all have our ideas of whether we will be returning or not.
Well here's a few:

Make sure you have a place set up first as it may take longer than you think to get credit approvals etc in the UK. In an ideal world you should fly back first for a few weeks to get something going. Open up a UK bank account asap if you dont have one already. We find it easier to have accoutns and credit cards in both countries.

Start looking and applying for jobs (if needed) before you return. I know a few people who got jobs this way and some even got relocation money (of course depends on your industry).

Be very careful who you use to ship, it may be cheaper to sell some things in the US or even put into storage if you are not sure you will stay over there. Because we forgot how small everything was in the UK we ended up keeping some things in boxes for 2 years!

Take a copy of your US car insurance as a lot of UK companies will honour the no claims discount.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:43 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I know what you mean. But I also think benefits have become (in some instances) a pretty nice income for single mothers in the UK.
Why do people like to bash single mothers? It was the fathers who buggered off, the mothers are the ones stuck holding the baby (as it were).
Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Why do people like to bash single mothers? It was the fathers who buggered off, the mothers are the ones stuck holding the baby (as it were).
Takes two to tango.....

I'm not bashing anyone, but where else do the majority of benefits go?
Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:50 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whiterabbit
Well here's a few:

Make sure you have a place set up first as it may take longer than you think to get credit approvals etc in the UK. In an ideal world you should fly back first for a few weeks to get something going. Open up a UK bank account asap if you dont have one already. We find it easier to have accoutns and credit cards in both countries.

Start looking and applying for jobs (if needed) before you return. I know a few people who got jobs this way and some even got relocation money (of course depends on your industry).

Be very careful who you use to ship, it may be cheaper to sell some things in the US or even put into storage if you are not sure you will stay over there. Because we forgot how small everything was in the UK we ended up keeping some things in boxes for 2 years!

Take a copy of your US car insurance as a lot of UK companies will honour the no claims discount.
This is more like it. Thanks!
Earlier on in this post always21 had mentioned the need to get a UK bank account and that he's done this with HSBC. I didn't get details on how to do this, Is it online? I don't have any branches here in Spokane. Does anyone know?

I'm trying to remember they have IKEA in england and not take too much.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

People are prioritised by NEED when it comes to social housing
And asylum seekers aren't in need?
Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hayley

I'm trying to remember they have IKEA in england and not take too much.
lol, that's what we did when we moved to the States. Sold off everything and bought new at IKEA. Didn't make sense to ship furniture out, not like we had antiques. It was like taking a trip back home when we went to the IKEA here - well the hot dogs are better in the UK.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:56 pm
Democracy advocate

And asylum seekers aren't in need?
Yes they are in need. The point was that the previous poster was saying that white people wouldn't get housing because asylum seekers would get it first.

"Originally Posted by whiterabbit
An English or American white kid would stand out like a sore thumb nor their family qualify for a house for that matter. There is a massive shortage of council housing and asylum seekers will get priority."

And I am saying that the fact they are asylum seekers is not the reason they may get priority in some circumstances, it is the fact that they are in greater need which will ensure a priority. So in fact the status of "asylum seeker" does not get a social house but the status of "need" does.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:58 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

any news on the Uk bank accounts?
Old Jul 11th 2006, 10:02 pm
Democracy advocate

Takes two to tango.....

I'm not bashing anyone, but where else do the majority of benefits go?
"Takes two to tango" - what a delightful attitude

Benefits go to people who need them. It could be a single mother whose feckless partner has left her in the lurch (or even died), or perhaps a disabled person who is unable to support themselves, maybe someone who has mental health issues and can't get their sh*t together.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes they are in need. The point was that the previous poster was saying that white people wouldn't get housing because asylum seekers would get it first.

"Originally Posted by whiterabbit
An English or American white kid would stand out like a sore thumb nor their family qualify for a house for that matter. There is a massive shortage of council housing and asylum seekers will get priority."

And I am saying that the fact they are asylum seekers is not the reason they may get priority in some circumstances, it is the fact that they are in greater need which will ensure a priority. So in fact the status of "asylum seeker" does not get a social house but the status of "need" does.
You're splitting hairs. Asylum seeker/needy is one and the same.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"Takes two to tango" - what a delightful attitude

Benefits go to people who need them. It could be a single mother whose feckless partner has left her in the lurch (or even died), or perhaps a disabled person who is unable to support themselves, maybe someone who has mental health issues and can't get their sh*t together.
Or perhaps teenage mothers who haven't a clue that pregnancies occur when you have sex.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 10:08 pm
Democracy advocate

You're splitting hairs. Asylum seeker/needy is one and the same.
No I am not - the other posting was suggesting that asylum seekers get priority due to their immigrant status and that it was effectively a racist policy on social housing. I am saying that need is the driver for priority and that if they get priority, it is because they are in more need than other applicants. It is a very different thing.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 10:11 pm
Democracy advocate

Or perhaps teenage mothers who haven't a clue that pregnancies occur when you have sex.
Yes, in some cases it will be teenage girls who haven't a clue - what do you propose we do when they have gotten themselves into this situation - leave them in the gutter starving or provide benefits? It's not the baby's fault that the mother and father were clueless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.