Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving from the US to the UK

Wikiposts

Moving from the US to the UK

Old Jul 11th 2006, 5:29 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from the US to the UK

Originally Posted by Taffyles
We've been there LOTL. Things improved drastically for us when we got greencards- funny thing hubby got a whopping pay rise when they realised he could leave!

On the subject of wages- hubby can earn more here but I can earn much more in UK. Swings and roundabouts.
A payrise is what we are hoping will happen. The company is owned by a Brit company who have staff shortages in the UK, so he can transfer back if necessary. It's a bit of a poker game...do they think he will actually leave?
Well, yes actually he will if he doesn't get the recognition he deserves.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Hayley,

I think you've made your mind up to what you want. Others have experienced the pros and cons of things, they're giving you their opinions and experiences. Everyone wants something different, including WhiteRabbit. I don't have first hand knowledge of living in, near or around London, however I've been there and wouldn't want to raise a child there. Nor would I want to live near/around or in NYC, LA, etc to raise a child. I've lived in bad areas, and I feel that in a lot of cases that's where you stay and ferment till its time to go.....not for my child. Struggle is everywhere and it all depends on where you live and whether you're in it - everyone has a blind eye.

Bromley,

I've read your posts as well (especially when you were wanting to go back) I feel for you. Its not easy to settle, establish and re-introduce yourself to a life you've left behind. I would imagine its hard for your kids to be away from their dad as well (not knowing what circumstances you left behind) We've been in the States for 2 years and are still settling, it will be an ongoing process for a very long time I guess. We are fortunate in the fact that we were able to buy a house almost a year ago though. It was extremely easy, even though we had no established credit. Still amazes me that we were able to buy though. I'm thankful we were able to thoug because I feel exactly as you do about renting.

I should add that I'm American, my husband is British. We lived in the UK for 5 years and it was home to us. Circumstances (family) brought us back to the US, but it doesn't feel like home. I'm wondering if anyplace ever will be.

Good luck to you all. I suppose home is where/how you make it.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 5:42 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Mmmmmmm. So 25-30k in pounds isn't too far off the mark for an ME then?
I've been looking at jobs on monster.co.uk in my specific field as well as jobs I could do, and they don't even make the conversion rate (eg I take my US salary and convert to pounds). They fall about 10K per annum lower, and that isn't taking into account the higher costs of living. I would pretty well have to live in or near London for nearly all of the job opportunities in my field.

As Taffyles said, my *husband* might make more in the UK as he's in a completely different field.

Costs of living are NOT the only factor to take into account when deciding where to live; but if they are important to you so that you can own your own home, for example, then they increase in importance.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 6:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa

Circumstances (family) brought us back to the US, but it doesn't feel like home. I'm wondering if anyplace ever will be.
I think that's exactly the dilema most expats face.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 6:05 am
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think that's exactly the dilema most expats face.
Amen.
Ive never felt Atlanta / US is home, gets worse the longer Im here, but also (painfully ) aware England aint the same as when I left.

Kinda like being in Limbo?

Rob
Old Jul 11th 2006, 6:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Amen.
Ive never felt Atlanta / US is home, gets worse the longer Im here, but also (painfully ) aware England aint the same as when I left.

Kinda like being in Limbo?

Rob

Surreal...when I go back to the UK everything is so 'comfortable'...people understand what I say and I can understand them...its like I've never been away. After a week or so the novelty's worn off and I am ready to slip back into my US life.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 6:14 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=whiterabbit][QUOTE=Hayley]
Yes I know the US has crime but its easier to avoid because you are not forced to take public transport or live next to a violent council estate. US teenagers are much better behaved and spoken.QUOTE]

Yes, can't beat a bit of segregation! I think that the whole reason England is such a liberal country is because you are forced to face up to issues because you see people living with them (but it's all so dreadfully unpleasant) - unlike when hurricane Katrina hit and most people were clueless as to why people didn't just move from the area. By the by anyone heard about how the new Orleans situation is going lately?

I wouldn't use the word "segregation" to describe what I said as it has racial overtones. Whether the PC brigade will admit it or not the quality of life in England has gone to crap especially in the SE. A lot of that is because of the present Liberal/PC govenment forcing crazy policies and increasing taxes etc. Yes Bush and the right wing republicans are idiots but the PC element in London is worse for an average working family unless you are super rich and can afford to make social commentary whilst living in Hampstead or Islington. I notice a lot of the people who brag about being so liberal such as Diane Abbott in London won't send their own kids to school or live in the area they are elected in choosing instead to live in leafy suburbia whilst pushing policiy on everyone left behind. I wouldn't make the mistake of thinking that all of the UK population right now are liberal thinking at all. Seems to me the UK is getting more right wing each year as a backlash against political correctness.

The fact is in London and most of the SE you come into direct contact with crime much more often that in the US. I had my car broken into twice and witnesses tons of fights in pubs and on the streets in two years in the UK. Cant say I have ever seen Yanks fighting in bars......... Watching crime on the news rather than seeing it in person suits me fine!
I am genuinely interested in your thoughts on the definition of PC.

I always think of PC as telling people it is no longer acceptable to call black people n*ggers or tell women they should get back to the kitchen sink, or not employ someone because they look gay, Asian, old, or treat one group differently than another. I am not sure what sort of things you allude to when you use the term as a negative description.

On the taxes front, well, if you add 80,000 nurses and 20,000 doctors to the NHS, as well as paying them all a living wage, then its going to need paying for somehow. Same with improving the lot of teachers. Council Taxes, whilst called a tax are more a payment for services rendered - street sweeping, waste disposal, street lighting, local policing etc - all these things increase in cost each year so of course the council tax will (some like waste increase significantly above inflation due to recycling laws).

What are these "crazy policies" they are forcing?

I do think that there is a degree of backlash coming of right-wing views of the more unpleasant type, however when the readership of the Sun and Daily Mail dwarf all the other papers and they regularly print the "English flags banned", "immigrants get houses first", "no more ba ba blacksheep" and "foreign paedophile on every street corner" type of stories to there generally poorly educated readership, then its not difficult to see where the source of this backlash could be being generated.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 6:16 am
Just Joined

whiterabbit is an unknown quantity at this point

You've hit a nerve with me as I grew up in one of those 'violent' council estates you described, went on to UNi and got my masters and so know both sides of this debate. But I have no desire to encase myself in a bubble. The US has given me a wonderful material life, where I can consume anything I want and chat about such purchases to my white, privileged neighbors, but they do not seem to know what struggle is.

For what its worth so did I believe it or not, but how they are now and were is completly different. I am 40 went to school on a council estate and things were fine even good. These days the same council estate has people getting shot, drugs everywhere etc and no one in their right mind would contemplate sending their kids to school there. Its not living in a bubble its wanting the best for you family.

This is no different to the folks in starter mansions over here that know nothing about how to survive on minimum wage. Sounds like you want to be locked away from the PC bunch in suburbia yourself and it's easier and cheaper to do that in the wide open spaces of USA than in Britain. Fair enough, I'm sure your children will have a well rounded view of how the other half lives!

Of course only educated people live in the "grittiness" of a rough area. All Americans who have big houses are dumb and privilaged I forgot.

I think my kids will do fine at the international school here thanks.

I hope you have enough money to enjoy your idealistic view of the world in the UK becuse you may find the people who share your ideals these days are all millionaires..............

How much of the US have you seen/ Lived in?- How much of England? London is a capital city- not sure you can compare![/QUOTE]

I have travelled all over both countries extensively and while I agree you cannot compair directly cities I have no dought in my mind that London and the SE of England had a very bad standard of living and quality of life these days.

As a matter of interest have you guys seen this site? Its all about high housing costs and problems caused by them in the UK. The forum makes very interesting reading for those of us who are considering moving back: http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk
Old Jul 11th 2006, 6:26 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whiterabbit
Hi I am a new member who has some insight here. I am married to an American, 2 kids (6 months and 2) and we lived in Atlanta GA until 2001. We liked the place have loads of friends (English and American) but my wife wanted to work in the UK for a bit so we bought a house in London, rented our Atlanta one out, I got a job transfer and we moved back. Here is the good and bad and the reasoning we moved back to Atlanta. Obviously things relate to living in London but we could not get decent jobs anywhere else.

Good,
Family, old friends and more to do within easy reach and of course more vacation time.
Weather was actually better than I remembered.

Bad,
Cost, we made 130k pounds a year and were broke because of the cost of living. In Atlanta we have a 4 bed house, in London a crap 2 bed terrace which cost way more.
Commute time (10 mins in Atlanta, 2 hours in London on the awful tube.
Work conditions, same company (Big 5) very easy going in the US, horrible in London, stuck up and everyone had a chip on their shoulder. No advancement prospects like the US.
Daycare in the UK 1600 pounds a month and they close at 6 so always stressed about getting back on the tube. In Atlanta 1000 a month close at 7.30.
Schools are now as bad as the US and everyone I knew was paying for private school in London the same as in Atlanta. This surprised me until I got back
Once we settled in because it is so hard to travel, places close early and eveyone is so exhausted we ended up not having the social life we expected.
Immigration and crime is also out of control in London and its not like the place I grew up in and missed. Yes I know the US has crime but its easier to avoid becasue you are not forced to take public transport or live next to a violent council estate. US teenagers are much better behaved and spoken.

Final straw was when my wife got pregnant again and the hospital and NHS care was horrible, we ended up having to pay in the UK anyway for some tests etc and in the end she gave birth back in the US.
Anyway we are now back in Atlanta, with the extra money we have we can pay to fly parents over for long visits, pay our house off very soon and retire much earlier than in London. Maybe then we will take part time jobs and visit the UK a lot but never to work there again. Don't get me wrong Atlanta is not fantastic but it beats London hands down for day to day living with kids which is all that counts righ now. I would not sell up in the US and move back to the UK. Go there for a few months first to see what you think.

I lived in London for nearly five years and can relate to what you're saying. But what you had was a London experince NOT a UK one. You and Your wife probably would've had a vastly different experience had you gone to Manchester, Edinburgh, Cardiff or the village of twigberry (ie, wherever).
I think it's best to live in London when you're young and have no responsibilities other than yourself and making sure you have a good time. But transplanting your family from somewhere else - I can understand why you found it nigh on impossible to make a go of it - its tough to live and work there.
I used to live four miles in a direct line from my home to work, and almost everyday, walking got me there quicker than the bus.
At least you gave it a go, but London is like New York or L.A. They're like their own planet and unlike anywhere else in the rest of the country.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 6:35 am
Just Joined

I always think of PC as telling people it is no longer acceptable to call black people n*ggers or tell women they should get back to the kitchen sink, or not employ someone because they look gay, Asian, old, or treat one group differently than another. I am not sure what sort of things you allude to when you use the term as a negative description.

Not that stuff which is obviously needed and was fixed with laws. It seems however these days in the UK things have gone totally over the top the other way. Example: Our UK hospital would not allow us to know the sex of our child because some religions will kill baby girls. University students cannot fly the cross of St George at our local Uni because it offends Muslims etc. I guess it seems like the government are virtually anti English on occasion and have forgotten to look after the vast majority of the country. This is causing a lot of resentment.

Immigration is also now a very big issue. Some days you get into the tube and don't hear an English voice. I know plenty of people who have had to move their kids out of school and move house because the teachers cannot keep up with all the foreign languages. These are white, black and indian friends. The perception is that the massive increase in illegal immigration has caused the breakdown in the NHS etc and in turn the pressure for more taxes at the same time benefitting big business by allowing them to lower wages.
One thing for sure is that the SE is one pressure pot waiting to blow if there is a downturn in the ecomony etc.

This is not all Daily Mail hype either its real.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 6:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
[
By the way to you have a Triumph motorcycle, was wondering as there are loads of Brits who ride bikes in town.
Sure do!! Need to get it out more though. We live north of Atlanta in Woodstock, dont get downtown much as square concrete dont do that much for me :-)
Maybe we should...........
Thanks
Rob[/QUOTE]

Thats the problem right there. Unfortunately most of the Brits live/socialise in town. Intown has got very nice by the way.
I had a Triumph Thunderbird, then 595 and now have a 916 Ducati. I go to the Vortex bike night once in a whole and there are quite a few other Brits there with Bikes. I assume you know about things like British car day, Brit bike club and the runs to the mountains etc?
Forgot to mention the British Chamber of Commerce is also huge and has pub meets all the time.
http://www.babg.org/
Old Jul 11th 2006, 6:53 am
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Sure do!! Need to get it out more though. We live north of Atlanta in Woodstock, dont get downtown much as square concrete dont do that much for me :-)
Maybe we should...........
Thanks
Rob
Thats the problem right there. Unfortunately most of the Brits live/socialise in town. Intown has got very nice by the way.
I had a Triumph Thunderbird, then 595 and now have a 916 Ducati. I go to the Vortex bike night once in a whole and there are quite a few other Brits there with Bikes. I assume you know about things like British car day, Brit bike club and the runs to the mountains etc?
Forgot to mention the British Chamber of Commerce is also huge and has pub meets all the time.
http://www.babg.org/[/QUOTE]

Thanks didnt know bout some of them! The only Brit Bike Clun I know is GABMA which seems like a bunch of old geezers!!
Can you contact me of list?
Rob
Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:00 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Not that stuff which is obviously needed and was fixed with laws. It seems however these days in the UK things have gone totally over the top the other way. Example: Our UK hospital would not allow us to know the sex of our child because some religions will kill baby girls. University students cannot fly the cross of St George at our local Uni because it offends Muslims etc. I guess it seems like the government are virtually anti English on occasion and have forgotten to look after the vast majority of the country. This is causing a lot of resentment.

Immigration is also now a very big issue. Some days you get into the tube and don't hear an English voice. I know plenty of people who have had to move their kids out of school and move house because the teachers cannot keep up with all the foreign languages. These are white, black and indian friends. The perception is that the massive increase in illegal immigration has caused the breakdown in the NHS etc and in turn the pressure for more taxes at the same time benefitting big business by allowing them to lower wages.
One thing for sure is that the SE is one pressure pot waiting to blow if there is a downturn in the ecomony etc.

This is not all Daily Mail hype either its real.
No - laws are in-place and have been for many years, but its "PC" that makes inroads into social attitudes and changes these attitudes for the better.

Three sets of my friends have had kids over the past 18 months - all of them NHS, all of them knew the sex before birth.

Another "can't fly the St George flag" - bloody hell there have been millions of them flying around all over the place. Yes, sometimes some school head (or uni head) makes a local decision based on local issues, which could be right or wrong - this hardly means the end of the English or British society.

I'm afraid I think it very much is Daily Mail hype - you seem to suffer from the usual delusion that because you have seen one crime (say) and the papers are saying there is a crime epidemic, then crime is up (it is down). For crime read NHS, flag flying or anything else. "Plenty" of people moving house etc - plenty? - come on, one or two at most who mention the foreigners in school as one of several reasons they are moving. Perception is correct.

The only thing I can remotely agree with is that the speed of immigration into the UK (and in my opinion it is because the UK is a great place to live and has good opportunities and not the usual DM "they are coming to sponge off of us" rubbish) could be quicker than in previous immigration episodes and can cause the existing population some discomfort and squeeze services. Many of these immigrants are completely legal - from other EU countries for instance. Clearly if the immigrants are determined illegal they should be shipped back to their home country - I'm not sure many of the "PC Brigade" (god I hate that term) are anti this, but they may be anti the usual asylum seeker bashing that frequently goes on.

Crazy polices - have you got any examples of what you mean by this?
Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue

Three sets of my friends have had kids over the past 18 months - all of them NHS, all of them knew the sex before birth.
Actually there are NHS trusts that won't tell the sex of the baby. Maybe your friends were in the right ones.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:15 am
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Actually there are NHS trusts that won't tell the sex of the baby. Maybe your friends were in the right ones.
I am sure that there are SOME that don't - but this doesn't infer the end of British society nor the take-over by the "PC Brigade".

The previous quote was:

"Not that stuff which is obviously needed and was fixed with laws. It seems however these days in the UK things have gone totally over the top the other way. Example: Our UK hospital would not allow us to know the sex of our child because some religions will kill baby girls."

What I don't understand is why it is "PC gone over the top" to try and prevent baby girls being killed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.