Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving from the US to the UK

Moving from the US to the UK

Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:12 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from the US to the UK

Originally Posted by Hilda Ogden
I found twiglets at long last and also "imported" Strongbow that is actually bottled in Vermont but does the job! We can get the British chocs at a World Market (essential) and my fam back home ship plenty of Yorkshire tea - could NOT live without decent tea!

the inlaws will be here in 4 weeks with french fancies, yorkshire tea and party rings!!

when I was really craving them before went to www.britsuperstore.com but I didn't let hubs have any of the pink ones!
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:18 pm

Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Think of all the things you will go back to Hayley!

Love my life here too but miss England (forget all the politics - after all we do have the bush twit).

I miss, and look forward to:

Woolworths pick and mix
Devon Custard
Scrumpy Jack
People knowing who the Stone Roses are (and that they are the best band ever)
Free Health Care 4 all
Curry or a decent shish kebab with hot sauce on way home from t'pub
Frozen yorkie puds
Cherry Bakewells and French Fancies
Sense of Humour
Coronation Street
Pubs with kiddie areas (genious)
Enid Blyton Books
(The memory of) Playschool, Bagpuss, Fingermouse, Let's Pretend, Crossroads
Pukka Pies (just the name really)
Battered (real) sausages
Fray Bentos Pies in a tin (wonderfully gross)
French and Saunders (again history)
Being able to imbibe more than a couple and not being called an alki
Sex on telly
The language - bleeding, bloody, tosser, know, wanka, twit, twat, berk, (They name people Berk here for goodness sake - berkshire hunt an' all), nitwit, manky, gormless

Could go on and on really I suppose - must..book..holiday...
Great list but what is with the fray bentos pies? Mum used to feed me them soggy pastry bleugh!!
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:20 pm
Plaster Duck Lover

Hilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hayley
Great list but what is with the fray bentos pies? Mum used to feed me them soggy pastry bleugh!!
I wouldn't eat them in a million - it is just the memory of them. I used to shudder when I passed them in Budgens. Steak and Kidney looked especially puke inducing.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:21 pm
Plaster Duck Lover

Hilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond repute

the inlaws will be here in 4 weeks with french fancies, yorkshire tea and party rings!!

when I was really craving them before went to www.britsuperstore.com but I didn't let hubs have any of the pink ones!
Oooh - I need some more Bombay Spud mixes too!
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:23 pm

Oooh - I need some more Bombay Spud mixes too!
Remember to add a can of tomatoes though or they will be hot as hell! :scared:

am really hungry now you bugger!
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:26 pm
Plaster Duck Lover

Remember to add a can of tomatoes though or they will be hot as hell! :scared:

am really hungry now you bugger!
Have done that before which was painful. They are actually really good with a tad bit of sour cream. Have they discovered sour cream in Blighty yet?
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:43 pm

Have done that before which was painful. They are actually really good with a tad bit of sour cream. Have they discovered sour cream in Blighty yet?
Cheeky bugger, they had before you left- I make my cheesecake with it!!!
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:52 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Steak and Kidney looked especially puke inducing.
Puke or not, I could eat steak and kidney for days....................
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:54 pm
Plaster Duck Lover

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Puke or not, I could eat steak and kidney for days....................
Never fancied it - shouldn't say gross as never actually tried the steak and kidney business. Thought seafood was gross (cuz me mum said so) until I actually tried it.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 10:05 pm
Plaster Duck Lover

Hey - does anyone out there still follow Coronation Street? I follow it on line now - used to watch it back in England but now I am here, it has become an obsession! I almost (actually I did) cry when Mike Baldwin died and I personally want to smack Tracy Barlow all the time. Ashley and Clare just had a baby but the poor thing still has no name. Fred is finally getting wed, I say finally getting wed.

Oo-er I am a sad, sad soul.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 3:58 pm
Anglophile Scientist

bassman578 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys,
maybe somebody around here knows this:
i'll stop working here on august 31st. as i'm a researcher, i'm exempt from US income tax. do i need to contact the IRS before heading towards europe or is it sufficient to file an income tax return next year?
thanks in advance,
ralph.