Reload this Page >

Moving to the UK for School and taking British mother

Moving to the UK for School and taking British mother

Old Mar 22nd 2019, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

nmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to the UK for School and taking British mother

Hi there,
I am Canadian born to a British mother and am going to be applying for my British Citizenship in the summer. I'm a mature University student and I will have completed my undergrad in 2020. I am hoping to study for my post-grad in the UK. My question is about my mother. She was born in the UK, but moved to Canada when she was in her 20's in 1966, and has been a Canadian Citizen for as long as I can remember. When I go to the UK, I will be taking her with me as I am her sole care-giver. Are there any hoops that I need to jump through for her to resettle her in the UK? I *think* she still has a copy of her old British passport, but she hasn't renewed it since she got her Canadian Citizenship. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the UK for School and taking British mother

Once she renews her British Passport there are no hoops to jump through before returning to the UK.
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

She just needs to renew her British passport which can be done online.

You need to be aware that you will be treated as an international student though unless you have been resident in the UK for three years. Some universities for some post grad studies may waive this, but you should speak to the universities directly
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 1:51 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned only a passport renewal is required for your mother to return to the UK: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Once in the UK she may also require her National Insurance Number (NINO) which you can look up here: https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number