Wikiposts

Moving to Uk from Romania

Old Jul 3rd 2009, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to Uk from Romania

Not sure if anyone here can help but I thought I may as well ask.

I have a friend who is Romanian. She is a UK resident and has lived here in the NI with her Northern Irish husband for at least 6 years.

Anyway her brother is still living in Romania and would like to move to the UK to work (he's a welder). She thought that because of her status in the UK her brother could come to work here without having to apply for a work permit. I looked at the Home Office website and to me it looks like that isn't the case.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/wo...ia/liveworkuk/

Can my family members live and work in the United Kingdom?

This section explains how family members of a Bulgarian or Romanian national can live and work in the United Kingdom.
The family members of a Bulgarian or Romanian national are defined as:
spouse / civil partner
children who are under 21 years of age or are dependent
dependent direct relatives in the ascending line (i.e. parents, grandparents)
more distant family members who can demonstrate that they are dependent
partners where there is no civil partnership but they can show that they are in a 'durable relationship'.

Can anyone confirm this
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 9:22 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Uk from Romania

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Not sure if anyone here can help but I thought I may as well ask.

I have a friend who is Romanian. She is a UK resident and has lived here in the NI with her Northern Irish husband for at least 6 years.

Anyway her brother is still living in Romania and would like to move to the UK to work (he's a welder). She thought that because of her status in the UK her brother could come to work here without having to apply for a work permit. I looked at the Home Office website and to me it looks like that isn't the case.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/wo...ia/liveworkuk/

Can my family members live and work in the United Kingdom?

This section explains how family members of a Bulgarian or Romanian national can live and work in the United Kingdom.
The family members of a Bulgarian or Romanian national are defined as:
spouse / civil partner
children who are under 21 years of age or are dependent
dependent direct relatives in the ascending line (i.e. parents, grandparents)
more distant family members who can demonstrate that they are dependent
partners where there is no civil partnership but they can show that they are in a 'durable relationship'.

Can anyone confirm this
But Romania has been a EU member since 2007, so there should be no problem with movement etc
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
But Romania has been a EU member since 2007, so there should be no problem with movement etc
yeah that's what I thought initially but from what I can see from the Home Office site is that you can move freely from Romania to the UK but if you want to work legally you still need a work permit of some sort
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 9:35 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
yeah that's what I thought initially but from what I can see from the Home Office site is that you can move freely from Romania to the UK but if you want to work legally you still need a work permit of some sort
I can`t see how this is possible especially since Romania is an EU member, if this is the case its a rule that will probably soon be lifted.

At this precise moment Romania is suffering from a severe labour shortage and the Romanian govt doesn`t want to lose skilled or unskilled workers.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

I can`t see how this is possible especially since Romania is an EU member, if this is the case its a rule that will probably soon be lifted.

At this precise moment Romania is suffering from a severe labour shortage and the Romanian govt doesn`t want to lose skilled or unskilled workers.
As far as I can see it seems that if you are from Romania or Bulgaria and you want to work in the UK you need to get permission it's not just an automatic thing.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:46 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3513889.stm#uk

After an unexpectedly large influx of workers from Central Europe - an estimated 600,000 in two years - the UK announced that it would impose restrictions on workers from Bulgaria and Romania. Up to 20,000 are allowed to take low-skilled jobs in agriculture or food processing, high-skilled workers are able to apply for work permits to perform a skilled job, and students are able to work part-time. Self-employed people from Bulgaria and Romania are already allowed to work in the UK, and this will continue.