Reload this Page >

Moving to UK with non-UK spouse

Moving to UK with non-UK spouse

Old Apr 5th 2018, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

minhan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to UK with non-UK spouse

Hi,

I'm looking for advice from US expats that returned to the UK on the below matters:

1. If you lived in the US visa employment visa, did you file tax before you left the US? What are the steps (legal) before you left?

2. I read many posts about selling all the furnitures and just packed and took along to airport but there are still things we love dearly. Is there any shipping company you would recommend?

3. Any of you return your leased car early? We thought of a road trip to maximize the mileage then return the car.

My husband left UK 23 years ago, my kids (11 and 9) have never lived in the UK before. We have family in Liverpool so we can definitely can get some help if needed.

It's a new adventure.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to UK with non-UK spouse

Originally Posted by minhan

My husband left UK 23 years ago, my kids (11 and 9) have never lived in the UK before. We have family in Liverpool so we can definitely can get some help if needed.
A number of things you may want to consider -

1) Is your husband an US citizen? He may wish to think about getting US citizenship before returning to the UK if not already done so.

2) If your husband was born in the UK and you two are married, then the children are very likely to be British Citizens too. You will need to apply for their British passport using the link below -

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

3) You can open an UK bank account in the US before coming over to the UK. HSBC offers this service in the US -

https://www.us.hsbc.com/international-banking/
Old Apr 5th 2018, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

minhan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to UK with non-UK spouse

My husband is still UK citizens and the kids both have UK passport. I'm not US citizen so we will have to leave after the contract and visa ends.

There's no HSBC branch near where we live so I guess we'll deal with banking later. It's more the legal steps we need to work out.