Wikiposts

moving to seacroft, Leeds

Old Nov 7th 2007, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

geoff101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to seacroft, Leeds

We have just put an offer in on a great 3/1 in the northerly part of seacrest(ramshead dr) for 129000. As usual the statistics show this area as quite deprived although I know there are lots of factors to some of these results. Has or does anyone lived in this area that can offer any input. It appears north UK has a lower deprivation than south so I am not taking a great deal of concern with it. It looks quite good on google earth with lots of green space. Any positives please or things we should know.

Many Thanks
Old Nov 7th 2007, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

beebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nice
Default Re: moving to seacroft, Leeds

one of the reasons we left is because of areas like Seacroft!!
Old Nov 8th 2007, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

englishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=geoff101;5526127]We have just put an offer in on a great 3/1 in the northerly part of seacrest(ramshead dr) for 129000. As usual the statistics show this area as quite deprived although I know there are lots of factors to some of these results. Has or does anyone lived in this area that can offer any input. It appears north UK has a lower deprivation than south so I am not taking a great deal of concern with it. It looks quite good on google earth with lots of green space. Any positives please or things we should know.

Many Thanks[/QUOTE

Seacroft with a population of approximately 48,000 people served by 8 GP Practices.
The Seacroft Locality;

The Seacroft locality includes the communities of Colton, Halton, Swarcliffe, Whinmoor, Whitkirk and Cross Gates. There are large inequalities within the locality with the Seacroft ward showing high levels of ill health and deprivation
compared to the relative affluence of Halton.

The Seacroft Locality lead on:

Crime, Drugs and Young People
Managing the Primary Care Mental Health Workers and inputs into the Nursing Support & Development Team
Hosting the trailblazer Seacroft Sure Start programme and the Tesco Partnership Development.

found this out for you,doesnt sound too good !!!
Old Nov 8th 2007, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

Hamsterhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

'Seacroft is close to Leeds's eastern boundary. It is a large, sprawling estate which opened after the Second World War to house council tenants. Many residents still rent their homes although a large number are now owner-occupiers.'

I would agree with above. Any chance you can visit/rent first to make sure?
Old Nov 8th 2007, 4:23 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Even as an impoversihed student in the late 80s / early 90s, living in the student ghetto of Headingley / LS6 was preferable to Seacroft.

I cant imagine its improved any.

Theres nothing wrong with the north per se, you just have to find the right bit of the north.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

englishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Even as an impoversihed student in the late 80s / early 90s, living in the student ghetto of Headingley / LS6 was preferable to Seacroft.

I cant imagine its improved any.

Theres nothing wrong with the north per se, you just have to find the right bit of the north.
huh !!! theres nowt wrong wit north !!!!

(apart from seacroft by the sound of it)
Old Nov 8th 2007, 8:05 am
Professional Dreamer!

Big Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really nice

Originally Posted by geoff101
We have just put an offer in on a great 3/1 in the northerly part of seacrest(ramshead dr) for 129000. As usual the statistics show this area as quite deprived although I know there are lots of factors to some of these results. Has or does anyone lived in this area that can offer any input. It appears north UK has a lower deprivation than south so I am not taking a great deal of concern with it. It looks quite good on google earth with lots of green space. Any positives please or things we should know.

Many Thanks
It isn't the worse area of Seacroft but it does have its problems. There is a wood close by that regularly had burnt out cars in until it was closed off with tree trunks. The local bus shelters are regularly vandalised and kids scoot around on unlicenced bikes.

It is close to Roundhay Park and has a good bus network and shops. You will need to spend a lot more to get a better area around Leeds.

Good luck BS
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

nwtrucker will become famous soon enoughnwtrucker will become famous soon enough

I would have grave reservations about living in Seacroft/Gipton etc. I had 2 cars stolen from that area in the early 90's. One from St. James' hospital while I was visiting my dying mother! I can't imagine it's changed too much. In fact, I know it hasn't.
Areas like that, and some of the scum that inhabit the place are one of the reasons we are going to Canada next year.
Hope your not too disillusioned by this post. There are some lovely areas in Leeds. I would try widening your search a bit. If you can commute, try somewhere like Morley. I lived there for 20 years and never had a problem.
All the best.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 6:19 am
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

I would look more at Roundhay, Chapel Allerton, Oakwood areas. More expensive but much better areas. Good luck.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

geoff101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the positive thoughts. Some of the comments are based on a decade or more ago(probably not relevent now). It is odd but the postcode a couple of minutes south of the centre of seacroft says its good on the stats. Its 5 minutes from us. How can so much change in such a short distance. There seems to be a lot of council work and positives planned for this area. It is the same as where we live here in Australia. One part of the suburb that we live in had a lot of state housing and wasnt so good and the other was all owner occupied. In the last few years most of the state housing has been sold off and the council has upgraded the area and its now better and prices have gone up.bad can turn to good. Also better more affluent areas seem to have more crime as there are more things to pinch.
Is there anyone that lives there

Anyone got any good comments that are current.

Thanks

Geoff
Old Nov 9th 2007, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the positive thoughts. Some of the comments are based on a decade or more ago(probably not relevent now). It is odd but the postcode a couple of minutes south of the centre of seacroft says its good on the stats. Its 5 minutes from us. How can so much change in such a short distance. There seems to be a lot of council work and positives planned for this area. It is the same as where we live here in Australia. One part of the suburb that we live in had a lot of state housing and wasnt so good and the other was all owner occupied. In the last few years most of the state housing has been sold off and the council has upgraded the area and its now better and prices have gone up.bad can turn to good. Also better more affluent areas seem to have more crime as there are more things to pinch.

Thanks

Geoff
not wanting to be offensive Geoff, but you seem quite blinkered about living there.Things CAN be massively different in such a short difference,more so in the uk because of the population rate.
You can live in a half million pound house ,then 5 mins down the road you have the druggies and the scrubbers,its as simple as that.Like breeds like.
I would honestly hate you to get a house in a rough area then not be able to sell it on .As someone else suggested,do a recce first.And the quote i found for you was a recent one i think.
good luck.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Gail will become famous soon enoughGail will become famous soon enough

Many Thanks
My husbands parents live in Swarcliffe, we were over this year to visit and got an update on the happenings in the area. I wouldn't touch the Ramsheads with a bargepole. Driving around Seacroft was pretty depressing, people are afraid to go out at night.

I remember my husband delivering to the houses round there when they were refurbishing. They all got new front doors, unfortunately they left all the old doors locked in a trailer, by the next day everyone had flogged their new doors and the old ones were back on. They tried planting trees to make it look better but they were uprooted and sold to the local nursery!!

Some of the areas 5 minutes away are better but suffer from crime committed from those coming in from Seacroft. I worked at St James' Hospital for many years and a lot of my colleagues lived in Roundhay and Oakwood. There are some very nice houses but they had a lot of "petty crime" that isn't included in the statistics. The hospital used to have about 3 cars a day stolen from its grounds and car parks, was delighted to find my windows smashed on a few occasions but a least my car was still there.

My family live in Farnley which isn't too bad and house prices are still reasonable. We lived in Wortley and never had any problems, good thing was it was walking distance from town (just), we staggered home many a night from the clubs!!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

used_car_salesman is just really niceused_car_salesman is just really niceused_car_salesman is just really niceused_car_salesman is just really niceused_car_salesman is just really niceused_car_salesman is just really niceused_car_salesman is just really niceused_car_salesman is just really niceused_car_salesman is just really niceused_car_salesman is just really nice

. It appears north UK has a lower deprivation than south so I am not taking a great deal of concern with it. It looks quite good on google earth with lots of green space. Many Thanks
North UK does not have lower deprivation than the south. In the south you can get a job tomorrow. In the north it takes three years.

I live in Iraq and it looks good on Google Earth too!
Old Nov 10th 2007, 12:01 am
Professional Dreamer!

Big Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really nice

[QUOTE=geoff101;5535833]Thanks for the positive thoughts. Some of the comments are based on a decade or more ago(probably not relevent now). It is odd but the postcode a couple of minutes south of the centre of seacroft says its good on the stats. Its 5 minutes from us. How can so much change in such a short distance. There seems to be a lot of council work and positives planned for this area. It is the same as where we live here in Australia. One part of the suburb that we live in had a lot of state housing and wasnt so good and the other was all owner occupied. In the last few years most of the state housing has been sold off and the council has upgraded the area and its now better and prices have gone up.bad can turn to good. Also better more affluent areas seem to have more crime as there are more things to pinch.

My comments are current as I don't live too far from Seacroft in an area called Wellington Hill (all private housing).I used to know someone who lived in the Ramsheads a few years ago. The majority of people who live in Seacroft and other such areas are decent, hard working people and it is only a minority of people who cause the problems.

If I was you I would wouldn't buy in the Ramsheads and would move a little bit further to to edge of the estate, which is far better. The Monkswoods are right on the edge opposite private housing and have always been a good investment. These two houses are currently available:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetai...a_n=3&tr_t=buy

They are cheaper than the Ramshead House and I consider to be in a better area. The housing market in Leeds is dead at the moment, you should be able to knock the prices down further!

If you have a little bit more money to spend I would go for this house and try and knock the price down, this is one of the cheaper houses in Wellington Hill but you would be much happier and it would be a better investment. Prices in Wellington Hill vary from the house I have attached a link for up to £500,000:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetai...a_n=2&tr_t=buy

Why are you planning to move to Leeds, is it for work? My father-in-law used to live in Perth (Kings Park). Loved Perth but wouldn't want to live there as felt too isolated. We are planning to move back to Queensland.

BS
Old Nov 10th 2007, 12:47 am
Professional Dreamer!

[QUOTE=Big Sky;5536980]

My comments are current as I don't live too far from Seacroft in an area called Wellington Hill (all private housing).I used to know someone who lived in the Ramsheads a few years ago. The majority of people who live in Seacroft and other such areas are decent, hard working people and it is only a minority of people who cause the problems.

If I was you I would wouldn't buy in the Ramsheads and would move a little bit further to to edge of the estate, which is far better. The Monkswoods are right on the edge opposite private housing and have always been a good investment. These two houses are currently available:

They are cheaper than the Ramshead House and I consider to be in a better area. The housing market in Leeds is dead at the moment, you should be able to knock the prices down further!

If you have a little bit more money to spend I would go for this house and try and knock the price down, this is one of the cheaper houses in Wellington Hill but you would be much happier and it would be a better investment. Prices in Wellington Hill vary from the house I have attached a link for up to £500,000:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetai...a_n=2&tr_t=buy

Why are you planning to move to Leeds, is it for work? My father-in-law used to live in Perth (Kings Park). Loved Perth but wouldn't want to live there as felt too isolated. We are planning to move back to Queensland.

BS

Found another one:

BS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.