Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving from The Republic of Ireland - Advice needed please.

Moving from The Republic of Ireland - Advice needed please.

Old Apr 18th 2021, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Tyden is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from The Republic of Ireland - Advice needed please.

Hi all, new member here but have been reading on and off over the years.

A little background on my situation, I have been living in Ireland since 2005 and have just got a new job where I am currently working from home. This is with an English company and I landed the position on the basis that I would be moving back to England by September, which fits in perfectly with our plans.

I am English, my partner is Irish, she has never lived in England before. We will be moving with our 3 sons and our dog. 2 of our sons are primary school age.

I have a choice of 3 areas I can move to, Devon, Bury St Edmunds or West Sussex. We will obviously need to rent for a while first.

Can anyone that has made the same move advise on the following?

How do we secure a rental property before we have moved over? I have been looking and it appears that you have to make an application for the property, how do we do that without living there?

Is it possible to secure a school space for our sons before we go or do we have to wait until we are physically there?

My car is imported from the UK(not by me) but is now registered as Irish. How can I change it back?

Finally, we both have an Irish driver licence. Will we have to change that over to a UK one?

Many thanks in advance. I am sure I will have a load more questions as the weeks go by.
Old Apr 18th 2021, 11:02 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from The Republic of Ireland - Advice needed please.

An Airbnb monthly rental is probably your best bet whilst you look for something more permanent. You can import your car and whilst you don’t need to exchange your licences immediately it’s probably advisable to do so whilst they are still valid. If you passed your test in England then you’ll want to provide your GB licence number to ensure you receive your correct entitlements. You can ring the DVLA to find this out.

Car import: https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

Licence exchange: https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence
Old Apr 19th 2021, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

If your speedometer is in kilometers then you will need to change it.
Old Apr 19th 2021, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Good point.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...s#speedometers

However I believe you can buy KPH-MPH conversion overlays for a car speedometer.
Old Apr 22nd 2021, 9:23 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Originally Posted by durham_lad
Good point.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...s#speedometers

However I believe you can buy KPH-MPH conversion overlays for a car speedometer.
If it’s a UK car originally then it’s very unlikely not to have a speedometer in both MPH and KPH.