Moving and Rent Deposit

Old Nov 18th 2015, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving and Rent Deposit

When my lease ends early next year I plan to move due to a career shift - a very positive one! When I moved to my present flat I didn't have to pay the usual six months rent up front and pay my rent on time and sometimes a day or two ahead of time. How does this position me re security deposits on a new flat when I move? Will I have to pay six months up front or will I have been here long enough - and paid on time - to pay only a typical first and last month's rent?
Old Nov 18th 2015, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving and Rent Deposit

Depends where you are. In my neck of the woods it is usually one month's deposit and one month's rent in advance.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
When my lease ends early next year I plan to move due to a career shift - a very positive one! When I moved to my present flat I didn't have to pay the usual six months rent up front and pay my rent on time and sometimes a day or two ahead of time. How does this position me re security deposits on a new flat when I move? Will I have to pay six months up front or will I have been here long enough - and paid on time - to pay only a typical first and last month's rent?
I paid six months in advance plus deposit and also dog deposit. I'm really ok with that. My house is £850 pm and in Northern Ireland the rates are built in to the rent. Something less to worry about. I hope it all adds up to a good credit report getting established.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on what you agree with the landlord. Usually they ask for 1/1 and a half/2 months deposit up front and your wage is proof that you can pay the rent.

If you are in England or Wales, then they must put your deposit in one of the goverment approved deposit schemes and send you the Prescribed Information. Make sure they show you their Gas Safety Certificate. If you are the only adult in the property, you can ask the council for the 25% single person reduction on your Council Tax.

Last edited by formula; Nov 19th 2015 at 5:15 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
It depends on what you agree with the landlord. Usually they ask for 1/1 and a half/2 months deposit up front and your wage is proof that you can pay the rent.

If you are in England or Wales, then they must put your deposit in one of the goverment approved deposit schemes and send you the Prescribed Information. Make sure they show you their Gas Safety Certificate. If you are the only adult in the property, you can ask the council for the 25% single person reduction on your Council Tax.
Thanks. My deposit for my current lease is indeed in one of those schemes. I also get the 25% council tax deduction as a single person living here.

I was just wondering if next time I move (first quarter of next year) if I would be faced with paying six months rent up front or have I now been here long enough to pay the usual amount other UK residents pay for a security deposit.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

I was just wondering if next time I move (first quarter of next year) if I would be faced with paying six months rent up front or have I now been here long enough to pay the usual amount other UK residents pay for a security deposit.
Ah right. Being a UK resident is nothing to what deposit you pay. The landlord decides what risk you are and decides accordingly.

Having a good UK credit history and a job that will cover the rent means just paying a small deposit up front to cover any damages you might do and not repair. I'm not sure how long it will take you to build up a credit history in the UK for some landlords, but you could ask in a Letting Agents in the area you want to rent in.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. My deposit for my current lease is indeed in one of those schemes. I also get the 25% council tax deduction as a single person living here. I was just wondering if next time I move (first quarter of next year) if I would be faced with paying six months rent up front or have I now been here long enough to pay the usual amount other UK residents pay for a security deposit.
Hi we have rented twice since our move back to the UK both with different rental agencies. On both occasions we were very lucky as we only paid a months rent in advance and we also have a small dog. It seems to depend upon the landlord and also the rental agency. When we rented in Aus (a few times while building homes etc) we always got a reference off the Landlord when we finished renting which I kept and I have also done the same here....just in case we need to rent again....although I always say "never say never" I really now want to start looking for my own "home". Good luck with the move
Old Nov 24th 2015, 7:34 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. My deposit for my current lease is indeed in one of those schemes. I also get the 25% council tax deduction as a single person living here.

When we moved back to the UK we paid 6 months up front, the next time we moved, as we were on the electoral roll and had built up some credit score we only had to pay the one month deposit. If you move into one of the 'over 55s' places you should only have to pay one month, and if you get an 'assured' tenancy ( not assured short term) you have it for as long as you want, and only need to give one months notice, you do have to be there for 12 months before you can give notice though.