Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving from NZ back home to the UK

Moving from NZ back home to the UK

Old Aug 14th 2012, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from NZ back home to the UK

Hi Georgina
yes we do have a mutal friend she worked for me in the UK amd WLG, I want to be home I am proud of being British I wish I could of stayed in 2010 but could not find work
Old Aug 14th 2012, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

Carol
I have always wanted to go to NY House on market looking for a job will know it will take time hope to be back by end of 2013 at the very latest
Old Aug 14th 2012, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

NZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really nice

Originally Posted by janeyk
Hi Georgina
yes we do have a mutal friend she worked for me in the UK amd WLG, I want to be home I am proud of being British I wish I could of stayed in 2010 but could not find work
Yes same, it has taken me beiong away for nearing 6 years to finally realise this

We are aiming this time next year
Old Aug 14th 2012, 1:26 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Only came to NZ February last year. So, it will be a number of years before we make any decisions. However, I can't deny that I'm often thinking of the logistics of it. Good luck to everyone and anyone with their plans.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

NZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie
Only came to NZ February last year. So, it will be a number of years before we make any decisions. However, I can't deny that I'm often thinking of the logistics of it. Good luck to everyone and anyone with their plans.
Thanks Ray & Debbie Good luck with what you find yourself doing!

Taken us 5 plus years to find what we want
Old Aug 14th 2012, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

We have lived in NZ for 1 and a bit years. Also have mixed feelings about being away from the UK. So many pros and cons.

I am with you though, my heart is in the UK.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LukeandJo
We have lived in NZ for 1 and a bit years. Also have mixed feelings about being away from the UK. So many pros and cons.

I am with you though, my heart is in the UK.
Hi

Know what you feel, it has taken this long to realise what we want! NZ was never home for good it has always felt like a stop gap, if you know what I mean?
Old Aug 14th 2012, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NZ4Now
Hi

Know what you feel, it has taken this long to realise what we want! NZ was never home for good it has always felt like a stop gap, if you know what I mean?
I felt that pretty early on also. A few things pushed me over the edge to wanting to go sooner. It is something we have been trying to do for nearly three years now and we are leaving part of us here so will be back for at least holidays.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 8:11 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

You've been very kind with your comments, thank you. I would like it to go back to NZ being a holiday destination and Britain being home. Well, somewhere to visit anyway. A visit to the mother in law's house is never a holiday !
Old Aug 19th 2012, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ,
We are coming up to 2 years here in NZ ,,, When they say its a roller coaster of emotions emigrating they are so rite ..
For us its been tough trying to find good jobs , earthquakes the list goes on !!!
But I know NZ is not home for me , Home is the UK .
Friends have said we need to give it more time, but how long do you give it ?
We are giving it to Christmas and if we feel the same we are selling up and returning ,
There is a part of me that feels if we return we have some how failed , but you only have one life, and at least we gave it a go what ever we decide ,
Good Luck to you all
Old Aug 19th 2012, 9:45 am
Just Joined

pom_in_NZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there...

I wrote a new thread about me, possibility of moving back to the UK.
It scares me now I'm married to a kiwi and I think he would be willing to support my decision if I want to go back to the UK. I just know that NZ is not my home, UK it is.

I have been here 3 years, it has made me realise more that I miss my family and not being able to see them at anytime. I have found it hard to make new friends and I still have more friends in the UK than here. We would like to start a family of our own. My husband isn't close with his family apart from his mother.

I'm sure things will work out in time but you then wonder how long etc? You just hope for the best for the future.

Cheers,
Claire
Old Aug 19th 2012, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

pommychic has a brilliant futurepommychic has a brilliant futurepommychic has a brilliant futurepommychic has a brilliant futurepommychic has a brilliant futurepommychic has a brilliant futurepommychic has a brilliant futurepommychic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by pom_in_NZ
Hi there...

It scares me now I'm married to a kiwi and I think he would be willing to support my decision if I want to go back to the UK. I just know that NZ is not my home, UK it is.

I have been here 3 years, it has made me realise more that I miss my family and not being able to see them at anytime. I have found it hard to make new friends and I still have more friends in the UK than here. We would like to start a family of our own. My husband isn't close with his family apart from his mother.

I'm sure things will work out in time but you then wonder how long etc? You just hope for the best for the future.

Cheers,
Claire
I am in the same boat as you.. I am moving back to the UK from NZ this coming Sunday... on my own with my youngest son... hubby and eldest are staying in NZ for the meantime until my eldest son finishes his exams.. hubby cant do the move himself until he finds a job and so will have to stay in NZ. I am the driving force behind all this as the kids, apart from missing family in the UK are settled and happy in NZ. Its just me.. never settled, struggled to make close friends and generally bored and feeling there is something missing... heart isnt in it.....

Tears this morning and wanting reassurance that we are doing the right thing but hubby cant do that as he doesnt want to leave...
Old Aug 19th 2012, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pommychic
I am in the same boat as you.. I am moving back to the UK from NZ this coming Sunday... on my own with my youngest son... hubby and eldest are staying in NZ for the meantime until my eldest son finishes his exams.. hubby cant do the move himself until he finds a job and so will have to stay in NZ. I am the driving force behind all this as the kids, apart from missing family in the UK are settled and happy in NZ. Its just me.. never settled, struggled to make close friends and generally bored and feeling there is something missing... heart isnt in it.....

Tears this morning and wanting reassurance that we are doing the right thing but hubby cant do that as he doesnt want to leave...
Hi Pommychic - Congrats on your coming move home I hear what you say 100%, I do not hate NZ just feel like there has always been something missing and I feel like I am always just here for the now not forever.

Good luck with Sunday, you know deep down it's the right move for you and yours

Originally Posted by yjx1nt7
Hi ,
We are coming up to 2 years here in NZ ,,, When they say its a roller coaster of emotions emigrating they are so rite ..
For us its been tough trying to find good jobs , earthquakes the list goes on !!!
But I know NZ is not home for me , Home is the UK .
Friends have said we need to give it more time, but how long do you give it ?
We are giving it to Christmas and if we feel the same we are selling up and returning ,
There is a part of me that feels if we return we have some how failed , but you only have one life, and at least we gave it a go what ever we decide ,
Good Luck to you all
Hiya

Do not think you have failed if you choose to go home! Hey many people wouldn't even try such a huge move in the first place!

We have always been up and down about moving, my otherhalf once said to me, "if you had the option of only being told you can live in one place and never visit the other which one" UK it has always been.

Next year we would of been here 6 years and finally we have made the choice to look to return after summer.

You will know when it's right

Originally Posted by pom_in_NZ
Hi there...

Cheers,
Claire
Hi Claire,

I saw your post and was going to reply this morning

I hear what you are saying, I think my time away from family and the UK has made me realise what I have and made me want to spend as much time as possible with them. I also appreciate the UK more then I ever did and really miss it!

NZ is great but I have never settled and we both have always felt like it wasn't our forever home.

xx
Old Aug 19th 2012, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems a few of us our feeling this way
I ve never cried as much since coming here, I ve even been on anti depressants which did not help.
I am not going to blame or trash New Zealand as it has its problems but so does the UK , I personally don t feel at home here at all ,
We have made some good friends and have really tried to embrace NZ culture and society but I feel so displaced here
We haven't told our children yet of our plans, till we reach a definite decision as I know this will not go down well with them ,,
But I know I can t keep feeling this way
Old Aug 21st 2012, 12:22 am
Just Joined

Ange1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis
Hi NZ4Now

I left Lincolnshire only last year, DH, DS10 and DD8, we are now in the US.

What I can tell you is that I left a lovely small town, kids had good education, very safe, clear area, DH had good job, lovely friends and a very happy life.

We only left because of my husbands job and will be returning in two years.

This is my experience of the UK, but so much depends on individual circumstances such as location and job.

There are areas in the UK were I wouldn't want to live, schools I wouldn't want to send a dog to and jobs people hate with a passion. This could be said about most countries.

Its not all doom and gloom like some people say, but just as much its not perfect either.

I would say do as much research as possible, ask as many questions as you can. There are a number of people on here who have recently arrived back in the UK, some only the other day.

From what I have read on here (not from experience) it appears that the right job and location is the key to it working for most. It figures that if you can get the basics sorted then the rest is how you make it.

Good luck with your move

Hi! Interested to hear whereabouts in Lincolnshire you were from - and the school your children went to (or indeed a good secondary school!). We have been here in NZ for 5 years now (4 years too long!). So want to go back, originally from East Yorkshire, then South Yorkshire but not sure about jobs/housing. We wouldn't be able to afford what we had! Hope you're enjoying US!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.