Moving to Nottingham

Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Budsturga is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Nottingham

Hi,
This is my first post but I ´ve been reading all your post for ages. I finally decided to join and i do have a lot of questions...
I´ll start by saying that I´m portuguese so I hope you´ll forgive my frequent mistakes.
We, family of 4 with 2 kids 4 and 2 years old, are planing on going to the Uk next year. It´s sort of moving back because my partner lived in London for almost 20 years.
The main reason we´re going is because of my studies, I´m studying Physics and Nottingham University has a very interesting combined degree and master in Physics.
But we do need to have jobs there, I did read lots and lots of coments saying how bad things are in the Uk, but we´re in Spain at the moment and in Andalucia we have 28% unemployment rate, so is it that bad? My partner is a painter and decorator, I know constrution is difficult everywhere at the moment.
Do you think it´s totally crazy for us to move? We both are really good in our professions.
Any coments, ideas are more than wellcomed.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Nottingham

I spent 2 and a half months in Nottingham.The University looks like a good one. There are some nice places to live nearby, e.g. Chilwell or Beeston. You can rent a family home for about 600 to 700 a month. I liked Beeston, it is close enough to the University to be convenient but far enough away that you're not living in Student Central.

The job situation there isn't great. There's admin/secretarial jobs and van driving jobs but there didn't seem to be much else. I'd check the Direct.Gov website to get an idea of what's available.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...Work/index.htm
Old Nov 26th 2010, 6:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by geeandtee
I spent 2 and a half months in Nottingham.The University looks like a good one. There are some nice places to live nearby, e.g. Chilwell or Beeston. You can rent a family home for about 600 to 700 a month. I liked Beeston, it is close enough to the University to be convenient but far enough away that you're not living in Student Central.

The job situation there isn't great. There's admin/secretarial jobs and van driving jobs but there didn't seem to be much else. I'd check the Direct.Gov website to get an idea of what's available.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...Work/index.htm
Things do look bad in Nottingham area.
It´s my second degree I´m not exactly 20 anymore and we do need to find jobs within 2 or 3 months of moving.
I´ve also contacts with other universities, although Nottingham was my first choice without jobs it would be impossible.
Other options would be Surrey uni, Lancaster uni, Manchester uni.
My partner is English but he left 10 years ago and things where quite diferent then, also we wouldn´t like to move to a big city.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 12:57 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budsturga
Things do look bad in Nottingham area.
It´s my second degree I´m not exactly 20 anymore and we do need to find jobs within 2 or 3 months of moving.
I´ve also contacts with other universities, although Nottingham was my first choice without jobs it would be impossible.
Other options would be Surrey uni, Lancaster uni, Manchester uni.
My partner is English but he left 10 years ago and things where quite diferent then, also we wouldn´t like to move to a big city.
My sister tells me that Manchester is quite good work wise. You could work in the city and maybe move to a nearby quieter town, I don't know the area very well.........
Old Nov 27th 2010, 4:53 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

It's been a few years since I was based in Nottingham, but it used to be a good place for jobs - not always well paid though. If you're looking for part-time or shift work to fit in with your studies, you should be ok - there are quite a lot of agencies in the city centre who are used to students/migrant workers looking for work. There are lots of bars and clubs that need part-time workers (it's a regional entertainment city), and places like the hospitals, Boots and the universities themselves often utilise agency workers. If you're willing to knock on doors, and keep optimistic in the face of setbacks, I'm sure you'll find work. Good luck!
Old Nov 27th 2010, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

I just remembered something else.

While we were there, Boots shed 700 jobs one day, and a food processing place shed 800 the next. So, another black mark.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

removalizer is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughter is a student at Preston Uni and works part time for macdonalds the money isnt great but they are really good to work for, the harder you work the more shifts they give you.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 11:04 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geeandtee
I just remembered something else.

While we were there, Boots shed 700 jobs one day, and a food processing place shed 800 the next. So, another black mark.
It's been the case for a long while now, that companies get rid of permanent employees, and choose to rely more on agency staff. I remember temping at one bit at Boots - they have a massive site.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 11:37 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget to check out the university itself for vacancies. There might be some that are especially for students.

Bev
Old Nov 28th 2010, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

We´re going to England next March for 2 weeks. I´ll star by visiting Nottingham, maybe being there we´ll help us to have a better idea on job situation there. I´m planing on going also to Manchester to have a look around.
Our biggest problem is that, although a part-time job would be perfect for me, my partner does need to work full time or it would be impossible for us to support a family of four, not counting 2 dogs and 1 cat...