Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving to Northern Ireland

Moving to Northern Ireland

Old Apr 5th 2022, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Northern Ireland

Originally Posted by Helen1964 View Post
Don't worry, no matter what you say in NI, you'll offend somebody. While working with a bunch of Catholics up the Falls Road, I inadvertently referred to "the mainland" and practically got lynched. Am I'm Northern Irish born and bred. Taking offence is our national pasttime.
It is one of actually very few things that would make me reluctant to move back, which is a shame. It is a great place but when you don't have to put up with the childish nonsense about every perceived little offensive remark, it is hard to go back to.
Old Apr 5th 2022, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

It strikes me as remarkably easy now to offend ANYBODY in the UK. Which at least has the merit of making the Northern Irish look more normal.

Old Apr 5th 2022, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice View Post
It is one of actually very few things that would make me reluctant to move back, which is a shame. It is a great place but when you don't have to put up with the childish nonsense about every perceived little offensive remark, it is hard to go back to.
Without offending anyone, this is probably one of the reasons I'm glad to be in the Republic. It's the same with Brexit in general and the UK seems more divided than it ever was..
Nowhere is perfect, but life seems less complicated here and not paying in € is something I can't even imagine anymore.
Old Apr 5th 2022, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

It certainly makes for some interesting conversations. I was chatting to a man last week. He had a small motor home and I was asking him about how easy it was to find places where you could stop overnight. He was trying to explain that a lot of car parks in Ireland now have height restrictions to deter........ he was in his 70s and it took the poor man about 5 minutes of casting around for an acceptable term before he finally came up with "Travellers".

Old Apr 6th 2022, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964 View Post
It certainly makes for some interesting conversations. I was chatting to a man last week. He had a small motor home and I was asking him about how easy it was to find places where you could stop overnight. He was trying to explain that a lot of car parks in Ireland now have height restrictions to deter........ he was in his 70s and it took the poor man about 5 minutes of casting around for an acceptable term before he finally came up with "Travellers".