Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving to Northern Ireland

Moving to Northern Ireland

Old Apr 2nd 2022, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Northern Ireland

The thing about weather is that most people assume West is always wetter, that is not always true either. Some of the sunniest spots in summer are actually far out West on the coast away from mountains. In reality there are many micro climates in Ireland and not enough weather stations that record data. Over the year, most sunniest would be considered Wexford in general, then again look at places like Garinish island and they have a unique microclimate, wet but also very mild where tropical plants grow. https://curiousireland.ie/garinish-i...rriff-co-cork/
I find the Wind is more important to consider and if you have a plot that gets all day sun and sheltered, this can make a huge difference, or if it's milder in winter. You often hear they have snow up further North and here there is nothing.
We are a bit further inland East from Galway and I can't remember when it rained, as the plants need watering now.

Old Apr 2nd 2022, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

It will probably rain all April, this is right now in garden though. I don't think I've ever seen the soil this dry so early.
We had to water plants every day now, maybe same up North in parts.

Old Apr 3rd 2022, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

kfbell is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved back from the US to Northern Ireland, specifically Donaghadee and are very happy with the decision. Agree with the comments about local government and the health service but even with that said, are glad to have made the move. One particular comment I'd make is to not buy a house that you haven't assessed fully. Like anywhere else, you can run into problems with NI houses - we bought an old house that I'd inspected pretty thoroughly and still found expensive problems (even expensive surveys can be superficial) after we'd moved in. It can be difficult at the moment to find builders and other experts for repairs, also the materials to do the repairs!
Old Apr 3rd 2022, 3:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tate View Post
On another matter I wonder if any Forum members have experience of gaining a UK Ancestry visa? I qualify on all counts (Commonwealth citizen, grandfather born in UK) but am confused by one of the eligibility requirements "can and plan to work in the UK"?
Being retired I have no intent or desire to seek work although I would be happy to undertake unpaid/charity work.
I'd ask in the immigration section of the forum as your question may well be missed here. My understanding is that unpaid/charity work won't count, you do have to work to be eligible for that visa, but check with the pros over here - https://britishexpats.com/forum/citi...-visas-uk-196/

It may be that you have to go back to Plan A and have your wife sponsor you for a visa instead.

Good luck.
Old Apr 3rd 2022, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kfbell View Post
We moved back from the US to Northern Ireland, specifically Donaghadee and are very happy with the decision. Agree with the comments about local government and the health service but even with that said, are glad to have made the move. One particular comment I'd make is to not buy a house that you haven't assessed fully. Like anywhere else, you can run into problems with NI houses - we bought an old house that I'd inspected pretty thoroughly and still found expensive problems (even expensive surveys can be superficial) after we'd moved in. It can be difficult at the moment to find builders and other experts for repairs, also the materials to do the repairs!
That is a good point regarding increased costs for materials at the moment. On a positive note, coming from NZ eveything is cheaper and easier to get when it comes to that. Even though we have limited choices on the island, you could drive a van to Germany and get double glazed windows for a whole house and it will still be several thousands cheaper than NZ. Buying a house without seeing doesn't make sense wherever you are and is like playing lottery. Apart from problems with a house, you want to know the surroundings, loud machinery, type of neighbours, barking dogs all night etc.
Old Apr 3rd 2022, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

I can’t really understand why anyone would want to buy a house (for themselves, not just as a rental) without seeing it first. Especially when it’s so easy now to put your furniture in a self-storage unit and just do Airbnb while you look around. I’ve lost count of the number of houses that looked fine on the internet - including from satellite photos so you could see the surroundings - but disappointed when viewed in person.

Wow, Moses, that ground is seriously parched. Mind you, I was baking in the sun in Co. Down last week and yesterday it snowed all day in Strasbourg.
Old Apr 3rd 2022, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kfbell View Post
Donaghadee seems like a lovely, clean, friendly, bustling little town. Am glad you’re happy there.
Old Apr 3rd 2022, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Helen1964 View Post
I can’t really understand why anyone would want to buy a house (for themselves, not just as a rental) without seeing it first. Especially when it’s so easy now to put your furniture in a self-storage unit and just do Airbnb while you look around. I’ve lost count of the number of houses that looked fine on the internet - including from satellite photos so you could see the surroundings - but disappointed when viewed in person.

Wow, Moses, that ground is seriously parched. Mind you, I was baking in the sun in Co. Down last week and yesterday it snowed all day in Strasbourg.
It's been amazing recently. Just taken a 20 mins ago and rain is coming. Agree and some Google Street images could be from years ago and suddenly you realise that there is a house blocking your view and as mentioned, wind is another thing. Maybe not as bad as Wellington in NZ, but it can make a huge difference if your garden is sheltered and gets sun. The sun can be really strong here, though it can cool down quickly when the clouds come. If you are in a windy spot, a walled garden can change your life😄.

Old Apr 4th 2022, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help with the visa query but Moses is right about the weather being worse over in the West.
East coast is definitely drier.
And, for some reason, Bangor is drier than Carrick. It was always interesting watching rain move up the north shore of the lough whilst we were in sunshine. I guess it must cling to the Antrim Plateau or something.

I agree with you about most towns in NI having taken themselves up. Loved Comber and Donaghadee last time I was home - even Downpatrick was looking well. I lived in Holywood for a while - fantastic place. Just those few streets in Bangor.

Last edited by Tumbling_Dice; Apr 4th 2022 at 1:44 am.
Old Apr 4th 2022, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help with the visa query but Moses is right about the weather being worse over in the West.
East coast is definitely drier.
That is the same in the UK (to my mind) drier but cooler in the east and wetter (especially the north west lol) but a bit warmer in the west. I have never visited Ireland but I have always been drawn to Northern Ireland and one day would like to visit that area it sounds lovely from these descriptions.
Old Apr 4th 2022, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1 View Post
That is the same in the UK (to my mind) drier but cooler in the east and wetter (especially the north west lol) but a bit warmer in the west. I have never visited Ireland but I have always been drawn to Northern Ireland and one day would like to visit that area it sounds lovely from these descriptions.
Northern Ireland is in UK…
Old Apr 4th 2022, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
We're on a hiding to nowhere, Pongo!
I've kind of given up explaining.
Just as I've given up trying to use Northern Irish banknotes in GB. Ah well.
Old Apr 4th 2022, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by brits1 View Post
That is always the general rule, which is basically by no means the whole story. As others have said, NI is UK and will have complete different data.
I can only speak for the Republic and here it is a joke. They stick one weather station out at Mace Head and that's supposed to be the weather for all in a radius of 100 km.
So often I see cloud hanging over that part and 10 km away you often have sunshine. Best example would be the Aran Islands and then where does West start or stop?
Even inland there are variations and you could say a rainy day in Tipperary is better than a sunny day in Dublin.
Old Apr 5th 2022, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
I am really sorry I meant mainland UK.
Old Apr 5th 2022, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Don't worry, no matter what you say in NI, you'll offend somebody. While working with a bunch of Catholics up the Falls Road, I inadvertently referred to "the mainland" and practically got lynched. Am I'm Northern Irish born and bred. Taking offence is our national pasttime.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.