Moving to Norfolk

Old Dec 11th 2013, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold
Default Moving to Norfolk

We are currently discussing moving back to the UK, and we are considering moving to Norfolk (for work) can anyone tell me what its like, good & bad only been once about 20 yrs ago and that was for the weekend.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Norfolk

Are you saying that you have jobs to go to in Norfolk, because whether you do or not will have an impact on answers you get?

Personally I love Norfolk. My sister lives there and every time I have visited I have really enjoyed this part of the world. The city of Norwich has some interesting historical areas (and good shopping) and the countryside around has great walking areas, the Broads and a lovely coast line. Properties are pretty expensive in the nicer parts of the county (much like nice places elsewhere), and house prices have not fallen as in other areas.

Just like the Cotswolds the countryside here reminds me of quintessential England.

However it's not a hot bed of industrial/commercial enterprises so if you are unemployed then I don't think there is a huge pool of jobs to choose from. In other words I would not move to Norfolk in the hope of finding work.

It's somewhere I have thought I might retire too if I ever return to the UK.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

Thank you
We are from Surrey, and my choice would be to go back there, because I know it But yes we would be moving to Norfolk for work, DH has been offered a good position, we have 3 children, and one who is 10 and will be starting high school so what decision, we make needs to be right, as I feel guilty keep moving countries.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 11:04 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sandrainaus
We are currently discussing moving back to the UK, and we are considering moving to Norfolk (for work) can anyone tell me what its like, good & bad only been once about 20 yrs ago and that was for the weekend.
Very flat Norfolk..
Old Dec 11th 2013, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Very flat Norfolk..

That I do know
Old Dec 11th 2013, 11:58 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Very flat Norfolk..
Parts of Norfolk are very flat, but other parts have gentle gradients and modest hills.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Scoobydo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234
Parts of Norfolk are very flat, but other parts have gentle gradients and modest hills.
I agree, as I do live in Norfolk lovely part of the country.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 1:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely relaxed place with generally friendly welcoming people. Some of the best weather in the UK too.

If you are used to Surrey and the convenience of London on your doorstep then you may find it remote and a bit boring, but really it depends what you are looking for.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Love Norfolk, and if we ever went back, which we won't, Norfolk is exactly where I would want to live...

Norwich is a Fine City lived there in the late 80s and it's my favorite city to live in. Anywhere in the world....

North Norfolk coast is amazing too.....

Love it love it love it

(I'm spreading the LURVE)
Old Dec 11th 2013, 3:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Some gorgeous houses at sensible prices:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?premiumA=true
Old Dec 11th 2013, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

But not Kings Lynn.... Kings Lynn is only in Norfolk because no one else wanted it and Norfolk was forced to take it
Old Dec 11th 2013, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Noel Coward once said: "Norfolk? Very flat, Norfolk!" Well, definitely no mountains there, but there are some "hills"of sorts -gently rising ground more like.

Norwich - the main urban area....gorgeous Cathedral, Guildhall, Castle (on top of a hill(ock)!, Elm Hill (a narrow street lined with medieval houses all with frontages painted in various pastel colours), the Church of St Peter Mancroft alongside the large City Hall overlooking one of the largest street markets in the UK in operation six days a week with a very large number of stalls selling just about anything you can think of.

To the north east of Norwich - the Norfolk Broads - a collection of lakes all linked together by a network of canal type rivers and waterways - good yachting area and a haven for wildlife.

The long stretch of the North Norfolk coastline - a mixture of sandy beaches and sand banks varying with the tidal flows....lined with small seaside towns such as Hunstanton, Wells-next-the Sea, Sheringham and Cromer - and on round the bend to big and brash Great Yarmouth....you either love it or loathe it.

NOrfolk - a country of large churches, the towers of which stand out on the low lying flattish horizon....many of them constructed out of the distinctive fling stone so characteristic of the area...tiny villages with a huge church...many of the villages have double barrelled names - eg Swanton Morley and Melton Constable.

Some unexpected finds in the middle of the Norfolk countryside is a large entertainments complex called the Thursford Collection, where some really spectacular shows take place, especially at this time of the year - Christmas..

http://www.thursford.com/

http://www.mackenziehotels.com/things-do-north-norfolk/

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attract...a_England.html

The climate of Norfolk is normally one of the most pleasant in the UK - comparatively low annual rainfall, higher than average sunshine totals, and though an easterly wind in winter can be really cold to say the least, sunny summer days can be the opposite - Weybourne, on the North Norfolk coast often records the highest daytime temperature in the UK.

Fast direct trains to London from Norwich and Kings Lynn , but without any motorways running through the county....the two main routes are the A11 and the A47 roads.

The Queen has a home in Norfolk (Sandringham) so it must be nice! And I know it is......my partner comes from Watton, slap bang in the middle of Norfolk, so he is a Norfolk dumpling.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eddie007
But not Kings Lynn.... Kings Lynn is only in Norfolk because no one else wanted it and Norfolk was forced to take it
Ha ha someone else said not to go King Lynn.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Noel Coward once said: "Norfolk? Very flat, Norfolk!" Well, definitely no mountains there, but there are some "hills"of sorts -gently rising ground more like.

Norwich - the main urban area....gorgeous Cathedral, Guildhall, Castle (on top of a hill(ock)!, Elm Hill (a narrow street lined with medieval houses all with frontages painted in various pastel colours), the Church of St Peter Mancroft alongside the large City Hall overlooking one of the largest street markets in the UK in operation six days a week with a very large number of stalls selling just about anything you can think of.

To the north east of Norwich - the Norfolk Broads - a collection of lakes all linked together by a network of canal type rivers and waterways - good yachting area and a haven for wildlife.

The long stretch of the North Norfolk coastline - a mixture of sandy beaches and sand banks varying with the tidal flows....lined with small seaside towns such as Hunstanton, Wells-next-the Sea, Sheringham and Cromer - and on round the bend to big and brash Great Yarmouth....you either love it or loathe it.

NOrfolk - a country of large churches, the towers of which stand out on the low lying flattish horizon....many of them constructed out of the distinctive fling stone so characteristic of the area...tiny villages with a huge church...many of the villages have double barrelled names - eg Swanton Morley and Melton Constable.

Some unexpected finds in the middle of the Norfolk countryside is a large entertainments complex called the Thursford Collection, where some really spectacular shows take place, especially at this time of the year - Christmas..

http://www.thursford.com/

http://www.mackenziehotels.com/things-do-north-norfolk/

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attract...a_England.html

The climate of Norfolk is normally one of the most pleasant in the UK - comparatively low annual rainfall, higher than average sunshine totals, and though an easterly wind in winter can be really cold to say the least, sunny summer days can be the opposite - Weybourne, on the North Norfolk coast often records the highest daytime temperature in the UK.

Fast direct trains to London from Norwich and Kings Lynn , but without any motorways running through the county....the two main routes are the A11 and the A47 roads.

The Queen has a home in Norfolk (Sandringham) so it must be nice! And I know it is......my partner comes from Watton, slap bang in the middle of Norfolk, so he is a Norfolk dumpling.
Thank you so much for the info, we are not sure as to where the job will be posted (new office being opened, so it could be Norwich or Ely) but sounds good to me, fingers x'd its gets moving and the dollar does not keep dropping then I can come home forever
Old Dec 12th 2013, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you for all your comments/help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.