Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving near Stoke - advice please!

Moving near Stoke - advice please!

Old May 29th 2017, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

LJ2017 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving near Stoke - advice please!

Hi! So it looks like my other half might be offered a job in Stoke and having been in Canada for 12 years we could be making the move back to the UK this summer. I would love to hear from anyone who has advice on good areas to live near there. Also, we have two primary school aged kids and I am panicking about how they are going to make the transition to the UK school system, it seems a lot more pressurised than here. I'm especially worried about my youngest as with the school year in Alberta they are a year behind, though only in Kindergarten so hopefully not too much behind yet. Does anyone have similar experience with moving kids? How did they cope? & how did they take it when you told them? We haven't said anything until the actual job offer is made as we didn't want to give them anything to worry about unnecessarily. Also, although we want to move back to be closer to family we've been out here so long, we don't even know if its the right thing to do! Any advice would be much appreciated as the whole prospect is very daunting. Thanks!
Old May 29th 2017, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving near Stoke - advice please!

Originally Posted by LJ2017
Hi! So it looks like my other half might be offered a job in Stoke and having been in Canada for 12 years we could be making the move back to the UK this summer. I would love to hear from anyone who has advice on good areas to live near there. Also, we have two primary school aged kids and I am panicking about how they are going to make the transition to the UK school system, it seems a lot more pressurised than here. I'm especially worried about my youngest as with the school year in Alberta they are a year behind, though only in Kindergarten so hopefully not too much behind yet. Does anyone have similar experience with moving kids? How did they cope? & how did they take it when you told them? We haven't said anything until the actual job offer is made as we didn't want to give them anything to worry about unnecessarily. Also, although we want to move back to be closer to family we've been out here so long, we don't even know if its the right thing to do! Any advice would be much appreciated as the whole prospect is very daunting. Thanks!
How long is it for?
I visit Coventry every year from Toronto, but its only a visit. Living there permanently I don't think so?
Old May 29th 2017, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

It would be a permanent move which is why we're trying to find out as much as possible about things. We lived in Nottingham before we moved out here and visit family most years but none of them are close to Stoke so we've never seen that area. We were thinking Uttoxeter side as that would be closer to the Peaks and Derby where I might have more chance of finding a job.
Old May 29th 2017, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LJ2017
It would be a permanent move which is why we're trying to find out as much as possible about things. We lived in Nottingham before we moved out here and visit family most years but none of them are close to Stoke so we've never seen that area. We were thinking Uttoxeter side as that would be closer to the Peaks and Derby where I might have more chance of finding a job.
The reason why you left UK in the first place for Canada, will probably still be there when you return.
Depending on your experience in Canada, maybe you have come to the realization that the grass is not always greener on the other side.
But, be aware that Brexit is going to have a major influence on the UK economy for the next. Decade. Government spending on NHS and education is going to be effected.
I have been to Nottingham and I quite like it, but Stoke was not my cup of tea.
I should take a trip to Stoke to look at, the good, the bad, and ugly, before making the final decision.
Others can help you with the education aspect of the move, since my kids are of working age in Toronto.
Old May 29th 2017, 6:58 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in the area for a decade. There is some lovely countryside in commuting distance of Stoke.

If you want semi-urban, look at Newcastle-under-Lyme, or Leek, or Stone. Leek is best for the Peak District. Stone has good communication links with Birmingham. Another possibility (though a longer commute) is Congleton, which brings you nearer Manchester. Cheadle is a handsome town, sadly run down, but worth investigating. Villages too numerous to give an exhaustive list: Alton, Mow Cop, Endon, Caverswall all worth a look.

Last edited by Editha; May 29th 2017 at 7:28 pm.
Old May 30th 2017, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

furnival2050 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are moving back to Stoke area this weekend after being in Canada for 11 years!! We are very much looking forward to it. Like stated above, the grass is not always greener on the other side (Canada). We are moving back there to be closer to family and friends who live in the stoke area. We thought that Canada was going to be a better life for our girls who at the time were 7 and 5, but honestly I don't think it was. There are only the 4 of us here and we miss out on major things at home. We took our girls away from family who didn't seem them grow up. We will be looking at places around Stone and Leek. But we love Endon, Bakewell (out of the way), Cheadle and all of them places.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

That's funny you should be moving to the area this weekend! I hope all goes well for you. Where in Canada are you moving from? We've also got no family here and have missed out on a lot of family events, but really are not too sure whether going back is the best thing for our kids. We didnt leave the UK for any particular reason, more an adventure having just finished uni - I dont think we have ever felt completely settled here though despite trying to get involved in the community, school, etc.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

We are moving from Saskatchewan. I think not having family here has really been a deciding factor on moving back as my husband has an elderly aunt who only has 3 nieces and nephews (He is one of 3) and it is time for us to do our part in helping with her. I think it will do your family good. Since we have been here we have lost all of our confidence. We left England for an adventure and to be able to for fill my husbands dream of having and affording a big farm that we never could in England. My daughter said it this morning and I think that it is true - People who have moved to Canada from a different country will never truly fit in because we know that there is a difference to life.
Let me know if you have any questions!
Old Jun 1st 2017, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furnival2050
We are moving from Saskatchewan. I think not having family here has really been a deciding factor on moving back as my husband has an elderly aunt who only has 3 nieces and nephews (He is one of 3) and it is time for us to do our part in helping with her. I think it will do your family good. Since we have been here we have lost all of our confidence. We left England for an adventure and to be able to for fill my husbands dream of having and affording a big farm that we never could in England. My daughter said it this morning and I think that it is true - People who have moved to Canada from a different country will never truly fit in because we know that there is a difference to life.
Let me know if you have any questions!
That really struck a chord with me. I have long said similar. Imho, many people who come from countries where they have had less, tend to settle much better when emigrating. It's why, I think many people struggle when coming from W Euro countries. The reality is they do know there are differences, some better some worse, but largely better. Thus ultimately it is a matter of choice. I truly think one is neither better or worse than the other. My time here has overall been enjoyable but now its time to move on. As it appears you may be doing sooner than me!
Old Jun 1st 2017, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

I completely agree with you. I wouldn't say that our 11 years has been bad, yes it has been rough at times like when my husband had 2 hearts attacks in one day when he was 47 and my girls (10 and 9 at the time) had to witness it all, but there has been great times too like the many trips that we have had. But again like you said it is time for a new adventure!
Old Jun 1st 2017, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Congleton, and can definitely recommend our town. Housing in Cheshire is (generally) more expensive than in Staffordshire, but Congleton is very affordable, and there's good transport links to Manchester as well as the Stoke area.
Old Jun 4th 2017, 6:33 am
Down & Safe

Avon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up in the area & know it very well. Agree that Stone & Congleton are probably better options than S-O-T proper, however Trentham isn't too bad, if expensive......!
Old Jun 4th 2017, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Maggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really nice

If you want more rural then Audlem is lovely (on a canal). Congleton, Alsager, Madley all good too. (lived in Madley and Congleton for a while)
Sandbach, Homes chapel and Knutsford a bit further but wonderful towns, close to M6 so easy for commuting.