Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving with my Canadian wife back to UK then France

Moving with my Canadian wife back to UK then France

Old Dec 21st 2003, 3:33 pm
Got My PR Card!

blaggers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving with my Canadian wife back to UK then France

Hey I need some guidance. I as a brit now living as a permanent resident in canada, am thinking of moving back to the UK and then moving to france because of a good business opp.

I'm sure it is more sensible for us to settle in the UK then go to france. Perhaps I am wrong, I don't know.

Here is my next question; I know my wife has to be living with me for 3 years in the UK before she can become a british national. Is there any other way around this? We have been married for 3 years living in canada.

Question 3. My wife has a 6 year old son from a previous relationship. Assuming his real father has no problem with us moving to the UK what (if any) problems could we face with his immigration to UK or france.

Any advice gratefully received.
Old Dec 21st 2003, 4:53 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving with my Canadian wife back to UK then France

Originally posted by blaggers
Hey I need some guidance. I as a brit now living as a permanent resident in canada, am thinking of moving back to the UK and then moving to france because of a good business opp.

I'm sure it is more sensible for us to settle in the UK then go to france. Perhaps I am wrong, I don't know.

Here is my next question; I know my wife has to be living with me for 3 years in the UK before she can become a british national. Is there any other way around this? We have been married for 3 years living in canada.

Question 3. My wife has a 6 year old son from a previous relationship. Assuming his real father has no problem with us moving to the UK what (if any) problems could we face with his immigration to UK or france.

Any advice gratefully received.
Hi Blaggers,

My knowledge is a little limited, but here goes....you can settle in France or the UK and move freely between them or anywhere else in the EU. You don't have to come to the UK first (unless your wife wishes to become a British citizen). You will need to follow that country's rules and regs for tax registration etc, but if you are employed, then your employer will probably sort this.

I think that you will find that there is no way around the 3 yr rule for citizenship, but if you search the threads, therte is someone from The Visa Office (I think thats their ID too) in London that will clarify this. Most countries need 3 years as a resident before a national passport is issued.

On the point of your son...if the biological Father does not wish to argue the move, then get it in writing and deal with it through a solicitor...otherwise if there's a change of mind, then it may be more aggro than you ever imagined. Paternity cases are a minefield of rights.....

Good luck, regards, Rich.
Old Dec 21st 2003, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

The Visa Office is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Blaggers,

If your wife would like to travel to the UK to live and work she will need to obtain a Marriage Visa. This is issued for 2 years and on completion of this she may apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (full residency), a further 12 months after this, she is able to apply to Naturalisation as a British citizen.
She will need to reside in the UK for the full 3 years before being eligible for citizenship.

With regard to a visa for your wife to reside in France, I would suggest you contact the French Authorities directly.
There are visa requirements for non British spouses to reside in the EU.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further queries.

Regards,

Philippa Robinson.
www.visa-office.com
[email protected]
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 4:40 am
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK then France

Your wife can live in France as the spouse of an EU citizen, I believe. She would not need to become a UK Citizen first.