Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving money back to the UK from USA

Moving money back to the UK from USA

Old Mar 4th 2020, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving money back to the UK from USA

Look at the Transferwise Borderless Account. You should then be able to transfer your USD to that as a "US Bank" in your name, then send it over to the UK through Transferwise.
Old Mar 4th 2020, 8:23 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

This sounds weird. My big US bank allows me to do international wire transfers online. I have wired money directly to the accounts of various UK charities and family members.
Old Mar 4th 2020, 8:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
This sounds weird. My big US bank allows me to do international wire transfers online. I have wired money directly to the accounts of various UK charities and family members.
Not necessarily - I just discovered a few minutes ago that some banks are refusing to transfer money to Transferwise. I suspect that there may also be blocks on some other on-line FX Broker-Remitters. ..... There may also be geo-blocking of on-line access, so that if you're logging in to a US bank's web site from outside the US you might be restricted from sending a wire - that technology certainly exists.

My post a few minutes ago on this thread:
Originally Posted by Pulaski
I have never been to look before, until a few minutes ago, but per my "playing with fire" comment above, mixed in with a lot of the Google hits of low-level consumer grumbling about Transferwise, there are some really concerning Google hits about things that Transferwise might be involved in. Transferwise has reportedly been flagged as engaged in fraud, and some US banks are reportedly refusing to transfer money to Transferwise, so as per another BE thread active within the past 24 hours, it is possible that it's not that "a bank won't allow a customer to transfer money", it might be that they "won't allow a customer to transfer money to Transferwise!"