Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving home to the UK after 26 years

Moving home to the UK after 26 years

Old Sep 23rd 2014, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving home to the UK after 26 years

I wanted to update everyone with our plans.

For several years I have been steadily working towards a move back to the UK. Since having kids in 2008 and 2011 it has become more of a priority. Back in 2008 I looked into it seriously and back then it was suggested by several people (on here) to wait another year as my wife and I had only been married for 3 years. Waiting another year before moving would have put her on a faster track to British Citizenship but of course now that's all no longer the case (old regulations).

We got serious again in 2012 and I started looking into everything and to my horror, learned that all the new rules had taken force two weeks prior. Needless to say I was gutted. But I decided to try and continue on the path to get back home anyway.

I was a long time green card holder and still only held a British passport. My wife is a USC. My two kids were both born in the US. So first things first, I applied for my naturalization and also for the kids' UK passports. I got all those things accomplished in 2012. I also got my US passport sorted. So now I have an easy path back to the USA if needed for worst-case situations in the future (my wife's US family health issues, for instance).

Next we started looking into the visa options for my wife. As everyone knows, getting the spouse visa is a major hurdle. Our situation was fair... we own our own home but had taken a hit in the economic disasters of recent years. We have been underwater on our mortgage for years. But finally this year the market showed a little tiny sign of improving. We looked into renting out the house but being a single family home, the rental market is a little tougher and while we 'could' rent the house out, we'd have to makeup cash every month towards the mortgage and the taxes, and it started to look a little overwhelming long-term. So we decided to sell. We figured that with the very small profit from the house added to small savings and also our previous employers' 401k savings accounts (that we have control of because they are from previous employers... not current ones), we could just about make the savings threshold for the spouse visa.

So we decided on a timeline of getting back to the UK in the Spring/early Summer of 2015 so we could be ready for school starts for both kids in September 2015. My son will start reception and my daughter will start year 2.

We figured that if we tried to sell the house this Autumn then we would be in better shape not having to worry about selling right before we leave. With trying to time the house sale, the visa application, departure dates, job stuff, we thought it would be really tough. So all this year we have been working on getting the house ready to sell. We did new siding and windows, painted everything, had a good clear out and the first of several garage sales, new landscaping and plantings... and made the house look as good as possible.

Then something amazing happened. My wife works for a firm that are based in the USA and the UK and she managed to talk to all the right people starting late last year. Basically a week or so ago she got a call and they are transferring her to a new role in the UK and doing the ICT visa for her also. We were thrilled! She'll officially start her new role May/June 2015 and the firm are already tuned in to the ICT visa standards as they have gone through the process several times recently so that's all set apparently.

So on Saturday we listed the house. The sign went up at 2.30 p.m. The listing went live on the internet (MLS) at around 8.00 p.m. We had the first showing Sunday at 11.45 a.m. They loved it and we received a first offer 9.00 a.m. Monday. We have countered and accepted since. So the house is sold and we only had to do one walk through (obviously barring any inspection/paperwork hassles which hopefully shouldn't happen). We have a short term rental lined up and we'll be moving at the end of October.

Once we're through the winter here, in April I'll be moving over to my Mum's house temporarily with the kids and I'll start looking for a house. My wife will follow a few weeks later according to job transitions etc. I'll also get schools sorted and get other admin stuff done as best as I can. We'll be based in Cornwall near my Mum and Sister which is fabulous, and my wife will be working from home and traveling into London and over to NY a couple of times a month.

I can't believe it's all coming together! I hope you don't mind the waffle but I wanted to share the story so far in the hope that it would give others hope. We have worked hard for this and it's amazing how things come together when you really want something. Don't give up!!
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving home to the UK after 26 years

It sounds like you finally got the break you deserved and then everything just started falling into place - that's fantastic, spring will be here before you know it. Good luck and keep us posted
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Very pleased for you. Great stroke of good fortune with the ICT visa.

Just keep in mind that the Tier 2 ICT visa does NOT count towards permanent settlement in the UK even if one has spent the whole 5 years in the UK under this visa.

So at some time you will need to get a spouse visa for permanent residency. This should not be a hassle as both your and your wife's income will go towards the financial requirements.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
It sounds like you finally got the break you deserved and then everything just started falling into place - that's fantastic, spring will be here before you know it. Good luck and keep us posted
Will do and thanks!
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Very pleased for you. Great stroke of good fortune with the ICT visa.

Just keep in mind that the Tier 2 ICT visa does NOT count towards permanent settlement in the UK even if one has spent the whole 5 years in the UK under this visa.

So at some time you will need to get a spouse visa for permanent residency. This should not be a hassle as both your and your wife's income will go towards the financial requirements.
Yes thanks for pointing that out. Our plan is to do the spouse visa application within a month or two of arrival so we can start the 5 year clock towards permanent residency for my wife as soon as possible. It's a lot easier for us that way with her salary counting towards the requirements. Thank you!!
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

So happy for you and your family! Your patience was certainly rewarded. I am glad house sold. I have owned 2 homes in US but now and until I return to UK am happy renting. All the best..
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Oh how wonderful I am so thrilled for you. I do believe that if something is meant to be life slots into place! You have wanted this for so long and been so patient and it has paid off! Good luck
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 8:26 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Another one thrilled to read that things are working out so well for you!

Your methodical and well-planned preparations undoubtedly helped ... in the matter of such a quick house sale especially. There's a lot to be said for slowly and carefully working towards your goal--your story is proof of this. Even though some might call your wife's transfer offer pure luck, I bet it wasn't luck alone but at least partly due to her keeping an eye out for UK opportunities and ready to jump at any....
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone! We do indeed feel very lucky. And yes @WEBlue you're right. A word here. An ear there. And all of a sudden it happened. She had to be careful though. It could have easily gone the other way and she might have been out on her ear. But she's very valued and they want to keep her in the company so that's fine by us!!

As for being patient... it's true. It's SO hard to be patient about something like this though, but we really had no option. Thankfully it's working out for us. My heart goes out to those wanting to make the move home but unable to due to the new regulations and tougher rules. Let's hope things loosen up a little for families in the future.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

This is such wonderful news! I truly believe in life that there is a time for everything! And your is now! Do keep us updated as you move towards your goal.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

MrMc great news and well done. I truly believe these things all have a sprinkling of luck attached and your time is now. I can hear the excitement in your words. That feeling is priceless. Enjoy and please keep us updated its great motivation.

Congratulations
Old Sep 24th 2014, 1:06 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Just shows that good things do happen. Well done, and the best of luck to you.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Argh everything has now moved forward. My wife's transfer is now officially starting January 1st and they would like her in the UK by late January. So we're very busy paring down belongings and figuring exactly what to take. We will need to be out of the house we have sold by around the 27th October and then we'll be in a friend's rental for a couple of months until the move to Cornwall.

Looking into shipping now and Upakweship looks to be a good option for a self-load 20 foot container. I have sent off emails for quotes. We were going to just bring the bare minimum but now seeing as we'll be able to fit a decent amount into the container, we'll loosen up a bit and plan on bringing a bit more furniture.

There was me thinking that we had 7 or 8 months until moving in April and all of a sudden it's just around the corner! I am so excited!! Thanks to all for all the positive notes and encouragement! We have a lot to do before January and have already started to schedule goodbyes with friends here. The weeks have started to race by already!
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

I was determined to move back before I hit 50 and I'll only miss the goal by a couple of weeks now... my birthday is late December!
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

londonboy450 is an unknown quantity at this point

So happy for your family. I might be moving back as my E-2 will be ending and cant stay as i dont have EAD unless I get F1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.